Author Topic: newcomer with a question  (Read 4060 times)

Offline beatguy321

Ok, so I have a hypothetical situation to ask about.  As I understand it, there are two major causes of gyne other than steroids.  This being hypogonadism or an excess of testosterone aromatization.

Ok, so if I were to have an excess of aromatization that causes my gyne, and I was able to take something that would decrease the amount of estrogen in my body to a normal level, would the gyne eventually go away?  Or would this just stop it from getting worse?  In other words, is the only way to get rid of the gyne I already have to have it surgically removed?  I seem to have a fairly mild case, but it bugs the crap out of me.

I am 21 and have had gyne since I was about 14.

Offline toaster

• Gold Member
I have no idea what "testosterone aromatization" means.  You should probably talk to an endocrinologist.  I disagree with your basic premise about the 2 major causes of gyne.  I think like a third of all men have it in some form or another.  I'd say the #1 or 2 cause is probably being overweight.  Perhaps this is the major cause of pseudogyne rather than gyne, but I don't think you can simplify the causes quite like how you are attempting to.

Ok, so I have a hypothetical situation to ask about.  As I understand it, there are two major causes of gyne other than steroids.  This being hypogonadism or an excess of testosterone aromatization.

Ok, so if I were to have an excess of aromatization that causes my gyne, and I was able to take something that would decrease the amount of estrogen in my body to a normal level, would the gyne eventually go away?  Or would this just stop it from getting worse?  In other words, is the only way to get rid of the gyne I already have to have it surgically removed?  I seem to have a fairly mild case, but it bugs the crap out of me.

I am 21 and have had gyne since I was about 14.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 06:51:29 PM by toaster »

Offline beatguy321

what I mean by testosterone aromatization is when testosterone is broken down into estraidol.  basically it ends up with the same result as hypogonadism, just in a different way....that result being too much estrogen.  My question was simply, if I have too much estrogen/progesterone/estraidol or whatever it is that is causing my gyne, and I reduce this to a normal level, will the gyne I already have diminish?  In other words, will it help reolve the gyne I already have or just prevent it from getting worse?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
what I mean by testosterone aromatization is when testosterone is broken down into estraidol.  basically it ends up with the same result as hypogonadism, just in a different way....that result being too much estrogen.  My question was simply, if I have too much estrogen/progesterone/estraidol or whatever it is that is causing my gyne, and I reduce this to a normal level, will the gyne I already have diminish?  In other words, will it help reolve the gyne I already have or just prevent it from getting worse?

Tough question! :-/  Man, we really need a resident Endocrinologist on this board.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 05:47:34 AM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
I agree with toaster. Gyne is a hormone problem BUT YES there's probably countless things that can contribute to the problem or make the problem worse. To answer your question beatguy, I believe that if you consulted the right endocrinologist who knew what he/she was doing regarding gynecomastia and you body is receptive to the treatment, then it would not only not grow bigger, but it would actually go away. This is just my understanding of the issue, by no means do I consider myself an expert and what I just said may be wrong. Find an expert. :)

Offline hypo

The biggest one off cause of gynecomastia is a temporary hormone imbalance that arises due to puberty.  The second is the excess of estrogens that comes with age.

The other significant causes are;

Steroid abuse, as 25% of all gynecomastia cases are caused by steroid abuse- this is very much down to aromatization.

Hypogonadism, as 10% of all gynecomastia sufferers have hypogonadism.

Liver problems, 8% of those with gynecomastia have adverse liver function.

All the above is in reference to glandular gynecomastia.

Of course one of the biggest causes is obesity as it causes pseudo gynecomastia and increases the aromatize enzymes as they are found most readily in visceral fat, this in turn cause some glandular growth.

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/acb/annals/annals_pdf/Nov01/596.pdf

Offline beatguy321

I guess I'll describe my overall situation.

I"m about 5'9'' 170lbs with about 7% body fat.  I just have always had gyne since I was 14 and it really bugs me because I can get everything else ripped and then I have these puffy nipples/fatty breasts.  It hasn't really gotten any worse or anything since I first had it when I was 14.  

I live in orange county, CA.  Can anyone recommend a good endocrinologist in this area?

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
i'm no endo, but my observation is hormone remediation only works in the early/formative stage, which is why they say once you're out of that first 2-3 year window, it's likely to stay.  
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline hypo

Head quote

only works in the early/formative stage
unquote

This is factually not true.

once you're out of that first 2-3 year window, it's likely to stay.
unquote

Hormone therapy is far more successful during the proliferation/development phase, that is true.  After that it is less likely to be successful, but in some people it absolutely is successful after the proliferation/development as is shown in the studies.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024