Author Topic: Alright guys, need some help  (Read 4429 times)

Offline puffman1

• Posting Member
So I finally talked to my parents about my gynecomastia after 9 years of it, and they have given me the go ahead on getting surgery. I am in the process of filling out Dr. Bermant's remote package, and hopefully I can get my surgery from him.

Here's where I'm looking for some suggestions. Because of compression tank tops, and avoidance of the beach, I have been able to hide my problem from all my friends. I need to come up with some excuse to tell my friends so I can duck away for a month and have this surgery and heel. I need to stay away from them because I would worry about getting hit in the chest or a titty twister by someone who didn't know. It would be perfect if I could get this done without any of them finding out, but I feel it will be very hard.

Anyone else had a similar situation or have any ideas? I really need to come up with a good excuse to disappear for a month with no questions asked.

Offline Gynosaur

• Bronze Member
How about saying you have mono?  That should afford you a few weeks of alone time.

I know what you mean about getting hit in the chest or someone titty twisting you.  A few days ago I narrowly escaped a friendly physical attack that would have damaged my results.  And titty twisters...in my opinion that is such a disgusting, vulgar thing to do to someone, and a despicable invasion of personal space.  Whenever someone does that to me, I slug him as hard as I can in the shoulder.

DrBermant

So I finally talked to my parents about my gynecomastia after 9 years of it, and they have given me the go ahead on getting surgery. I am in the process of filling out Dr. Bermant's remote package, and hopefully I can get my surgery from him.

Here's where I'm looking for some suggestions. Because of compression tank tops, and avoidance of the beach, I have been able to hide my problem from all my friends. I need to come up with some excuse to tell my friends so I can duck away for a month and have this surgery and heel. I need to stay away from them because I would worry about getting hit in the chest or a titty twister by someone who didn't know. It would be perfect if I could get this done without any of them finding out, but I feel it will be very hard.

Anyone else had a similar situation or have any ideas? I really need to come up with a good excuse to disappear for a month with no questions asked.

Many of my patients do not hide after surgery. Some do. Each comes up with their own methods. One common one I suggest is to explain to friends that you have just injured your chest (the truth) and ask them to be careful not to hurt you. If someone pressed for details, I explain this surgery is like recovering from a sprain. I have heard some patients use that excuse. Yet others have told me that they told people that they had lesions removed adn they are healing. The garment explanation is that the compression minimizes the swelling and makes you more comfortable (also the truth). Keeping to something as variations of the truth makes it easier to explain. Lies can be difficult to maintain.  We look forward to helping you explore such issues during your consultation or preliminary remote discussion. If you or your parents have any questions about the process, Jane is my office manager.  She can normally be reached at our office by phone Monday - Friday 9-5 Eastern Time at (804) 748-7737.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

DeeDubStyle619

Say you are going on vacation. Its not a lie, hell you can even take pictures while you are out there. I know what you mean about the titty twisters, that is an instant way to piss me off. Not only does it hurt, but I always feel it will make my nipples swell or get puffier. If you are wearing your compression garment, they wont be able to get a hold of your nipple, and for that excuse, say you bruised your ribs or something.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I have worked for companies that would fire a person who got caught in a lie. With that in mind, telling the truth is always going to be best. The important thing is to ask yourself how much of the truth a particular person should be entrusted with.

One of the ways mentioned here a long time ago was simply to say that you'd had a growth removed. Add that the condition was not malignant etc. and thank the person for their concern.

Being a bit misleading is not quite the same as telling a complete lie, the details of the truth will not prove you a liar later.
Grandpa Dan

Offline gynecomastiabreastredux

• Posting Member
  • Don't live with a mistake
    • Gynecomastia Breast Reduction
Ugh, I hadn't even thought about this. I have surgery in about a month. My friends are very touchy feely and gossipy. Oh well, guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
Read my blog: www.gynecomastiabreastreduction.com
20-something gynecomastia patient
Navigating my way through surgery and sharing my thoughts

Offline NO83

• Posting Member
Hey Puffman, sorry to be totally off topic, and i dont mean to thread jack, but can i ask what compression vest you wear, or can you recommend one.  I cannot get the surgery for some time and I have found myself staying inside on warm days even calling in sick to work wishing it was winter so I could cover up with a jacket, need a temporary solution before I can get surgery.  Thanks very much in advance and best of luck to you!

DrBermant

Hey Puffman, sorry to be totally off topic, and i dont mean to thread jack, but can i ask what compression vest you wear, or can you recommend one.  I cannot get the surgery for some time and I have found myself staying inside on warm days even calling in sick to work wishing it was winter so I could cover up with a jacket, need a temporary solution before I can get surgery.  Thanks very much in advance and best of luck to you!

Here are examples of how No Surgery Compression Garments can hide gynecomastia. Take a look at the different body types and how tissues move on animation (movies).

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I know what you mean about getting hit in the chest or someone titty twisting you.  A few days ago I narrowly escaped a friendly physical attack that would have damaged my results.

Geeze, a 'Friendly' physical attack....   Can you say....  Oxymoron?  ;)

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I have worked for companies that would fire a person who got caught in a lie. With that in mind, telling the truth is always going to be best. The important thing is to ask yourself how much of the truth a particular person should be entrusted with.

I agree with Grandpa Dan... telling the truth is always the best policy...  ;)

One of the ways mentioned here a long time ago was simply to say that you'd had a growth removed. Add that the condition was not malignant etc. and thank the person for their concern.

Yes, this is a good explanation...   and...you are not telling a lie...

Being a bit misleading is not quite the same as telling a complete lie, the details of the truth will not prove you a liar later.

Yup... it's called 'bending the truth'... Not a 'lie' exactly, but gets those nosy buggers off your back....  ;)

GB...

Offline Gynosaur

• Bronze Member
A friend of mine tried to tackle and wrestle me to the ground.  I managed to get away before anything happened to my chest and then fled the scene.  It was too perilous to stay and risk injury.

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
Compression garments are ideal because they allow for a better recovery and are typically not as noticeable. I understand your concerns about privacy.  Your medical records are really no one else's business.  Many of my patients elect to use vacation time on or around their surgery day, so they don't have much to explain.  With regard to the way your friends "play", you may want to consider discouraging this type of behavior.  You are most likely not the only one who is bothered by it.
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

Offline puffman1

• Posting Member
Hey nate, I wear the underworks compression tank top. I got them on Amazon for like 20 bucks a pop. It works really well for me because I am not fat, but rather just have puffy nipples so it does the job perfectly and flattens out my chest. The only thing is they are hot as hell in the summer, but I feel it's worth it.

As for everyone saying lies are not the way and to tell the truth, I am in college, therefore I don't have a career to worry about. Like someone said, my friends are also very touchy feely and gossipy. I cannot tell them the truth and ever be able to live it down.

I think I am going to say that I broke a couple ribs which will keep people from touching my chest, can be a good reason to wear a compression vest, and also takes 4-6 weeks to heal.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024