Author Topic: LIFE CHANGING RESULTS!  (Read 3592 times)

Offline MRS. MOM

• Posting Member
Our son has lived with this condition most of his life.  I have seen how this has affected his confidence and the limitations on him.  When he was in junior high we did take him for the entire testing and to see a professional, He was diagnosed with severe Gynecomstia but it was decided that he needed to make an effort towards his activity level and eating habits first before anything would be done, and as parents we agreed.   This never happened; he never seriously tried to help his self with life changing eating habits, and exercise.  But this would only help some of it, because it was so severe.  Sometimes I believe it lays in the genes, or the steroids he took when he was younger for asthma, also he drank a lot of milk.
(I think all the stuff they give to animals to enhance them are passed on to us)

He now is in College, one day he got up and looked in the mirror and said to himself “I’m not happy with who I am” (this was the begging of his life).
At this point he was at his lowest and as a parent we knew something was up with him and noticed he was acting extremely depressed and even went on medication, his well being was always on our mind.   Especially after we watch CSI; they aired a program that same time regarding a Gynecomastia teenager who took his life.  After watching this we made the big decision to confront our son with this life change.  Our son started to change his eating habits and introduce an exercise routine, and start dropping weight to show that he was also ready.

We took him to another professional and he agreed to perform the surgery but also mentioned that he would contour the results to appropriate body size, so our son continued to drop weight and eat healthy, and exercised loosing a total of 60 pounds before surgery.

The results, I have a child who stands tall not crunched over, he smiles, looks in the mirror every chance he gets.  When I brought him home he gave me a hug and said “thank you, you have no idea what this means to me”.  He is even excited to see that he has pecks, and can’t wait to show them off.  Me I can’t believe how tall this has made him and what a beautiful smile he has!

The cost is small for such a great gain!  It is a shame that the insurance companies do not see this as a serious medical condition, and the effect that is has on certain individuals with their emotional turmoil, and anti social activity.  I hope that one day they will, but until then I must say it was well worth the investment to see my child stand tall, smile, and be proud.

Offline Angel_of_Death

• Silver Member
Great story ! Very inspiring.

You should be proud of yourself as a mother.

I wish you and your son all the best.

Offline donnieosmond

• Bronze Member
God bless.

And Angel, if you told your mom about your surgery I'm sure she'd react very similar to the above. Food for thought.

Offline gynoisgone

• Posting Member
Good on you. Its not a nice condition to have. I hated it. I hope he is enjoying life more now.

Offline Angel_of_Death

• Silver Member
God bless.

And Angel, if you told your mom about your surgery I'm sure she'd react very similar to the above. Food for thought.

You are 100% right. I know she would support me if I did tell her, but for reasons I have already mentioned I prefer to keep it to myself. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024