Author Topic: Thinking of seeing Dr. Fielding  (Read 14048 times)

Offline ASRel

• Posting Member
Wow... I thought I was the only brown guy with Gyne here, well now I don't feel so bad :)

The days are going by pretty fast (loads of work here at UW), I'm really looking forward to the end of the term!

Just a few questions now though... I've never had an operation before... Are there any little things I should know about? I heard some guy talking about how they have to insert something up your, umm.. thing that provides somewhere for the urine to go in case your body wants to take a leak while you're sedated.

Offline metamorph1

Well when I went to see Dr. Fielding he quoted my price to be $1000 flat since I am a student (he told me this specifically).  With GST it came out to $1070.

really? i'm a student and he charged me like 1200 ... oh well still worth it.

Offline metamorph1

Just a few questions now though... I've never had an operation before... Are there any little things I should know about? I heard some guy talking about how they have to insert something up your, umm.. thing that provides somewhere for the urine to go in case your body wants to take a leak while you're sedated.

If you have minor surgery they won't insert the catheder in to help you pee. They only usually do that for very major surgeries where you are asleep for a very very long time or in too much pain that you can't get yourself to the bathroom. Considering you wake up in just about 2 hours or so you don't need to worryr about that. They do usually stick a tube down your throat when you ae asleep thought to help make sure you don't wake up. You'll get instructions on what you can and can't do once you schedule surgery, it's nothing serious eg. no eating or drinking anything past midnight the day before.

Offline a-man

• Silver Member
  • Gyne free!

It was my first operation too, but it was really easy. You can't eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your operation, and they make you go to the washroom before they sedate you, so the chance of you having to go to the bathroom during the very short time (1.5 hours on average) you are sedated is virtually nothing.

Basically you will get there, they will stick a little needle in your hand for the IV (this was completely painless), and 10 seconds later you will be out cold, and will then wake up in the recovery room like nothing happened.

Offline Raven

• Silver Member
I had my appendix removed a few years ago, and when I woke up after the surgery, I could not go to the bathroom to take a leak... tried and tried really hard.
Apparently, from what they told me, 10% of men have a problem with after being sedated with General Anaesthesia, that their blatters are still asleep, and it takes about a day to get back to normal... so what happens here, is that your blatter get's full of urine, and they have to shove a catheder up your ding dong, otherwise you risk getting a blatter infection...
They can tell when your blatter is full, they use an ultra-sound, only takes 1 minute and they can see exactly how much fluid is built up in your  blatter...

In my case I had about 500cc's of urine, so they asked me to go to the bathroom or they would need to stick a tube up my you know what...
I was like Fawk that sh|t.
I tried and tried like my life depended on it, and could not go for the life of me... my blatter was completely passed out.. no response...

I had no choice but to get the cathader..
Beleive me, you DO NOT want to be part of this 10% of men....

I pray that I don't need to get it again when I go under for my gyne surgery....

« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 06:33:35 AM by Raven »

Offline a-man

• Silver Member
  • Gyne free!
Ouch...

yeah I have heard about the whole hard to pee thing after waking up. But the absolute worst thing I have read on these boards is that it was incredibly difficult for people... but eventually it came out.

For me, when I had surgery with Lista (I forget the name of the anesthetist), when I woke up I was able to go pee right away, no problems. I was also not nautious or groggy whatsoever.

Offline Raven

• Silver Member

when I woke up I was able to go pee right away, no problems. I was also not nautious or groggy whatsoever.

Your like most people then.. must be nice... lol  ;D

Offline dps

• Bronze Member
  • gyne free since july 2005 :D
Hey guys, another brown man here! I'm actually a Pakistani and I know at least 4-5 other Pakistanis who also have the condition but are not aware that of it. I mean they know they have moobs but they don't know that it's an actual condition. I'm too chicken sh*t to tell them about it, does that make me a bad person  ???
[ photos ] :: [ diary ]

Offline brownman

• Gold Member
Canadian, Sikh of Indian Origin

Woot the pigment thing ownz then, i can mack the ladies earlier!
lemme know if any1 cancels

Offline machinefunk

• Posting Member
hi all.... my first post.  Glad to find this group.  Sounds like Dr Fielding is one of the best out there.   I do have a few questions:

- I live in Oregon U.S.    its obviously not close for me to get to Dr Fielding in Toronto.  However, his prices sound better than the $4K I've heard about here in the US.    So with a plane ticket/hotel, it will still be worth it.   Unless....    

Can the consultation and surgery be done in the same week?  

Is there a post op appointment necessary?  

It sounds like he does lipo, but I've heard of others who use a local.   Does this surgery require anastesia?

With these questions in mind (and this could be for a different area of this discussion group), is there anyone who is recommended in my part of the country?   Portland/Seattle etc.

thanks for the advice.....

Matt

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Can the consultation and surgery be done in the same week?

Highly doubtful.... :-/  

Is there a post op appointment necessary?

Usually there is a post op appointment, but you may be able to skip it.  

It sounds like he does lipo, but I've heard of others who use a local.   Does this surgery require anastesia?

Yes, Gyne surgery requires anesthesia. Usually a general.

John.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 02:14:30 PM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Raven

• Silver Member
 However, his prices sound better than the $4K I've heard about here in the US.    So with a plane ticket/hotel, it will still be worth it.   Unless....    

The prices you see others posting is because our Canadian Healthcare is covering the lions share of the costs. aka OHIP.
If you are anything other than a Canadian citizen, the costs will be much higher. To get exact pricing, you would have to either A) Have the consultation with the doctor and let him advise you on costs.
B) Call his office, which I highly doubt they will be able to give you an estimated cost by phone, but might be worth a try.

Offline ASRel

• Posting Member
It's me here, I had my surgery today, doing fine. I have a diary in the diaries section. I'll post pics and details about my surgery day and recovery tomorrow, my mom's bugging me to get off the computer right now.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024