Author Topic: Getting rid of the teets  (Read 5007 times)

Offline teetit

• Posting Member
Consultation

So I smoked a cig outside and finally went into the consultation office for Dr. Jacobs.  The office is pretty nice.  It's decked out with brochures of the various procedures Dr. Jacob's does and information about all this stuff.  I also remember there being lots of framed pix of Jacobs' various medical accomplishments.  I went in, and there was another kid waiting there which kind of made me self-conscious.  For all I know this guy had the same procedure done, but I couldn't help but feel a bit awkward.  

I talked with the secretary there, who was a very nice lady.  She handed me a shit-ton of papers to fill out.  This took me awhile.  But I handed them back to her and waited to talk with Jacobs.

So I finally talked with Dr. Jacobs.  I had a bunch of questions planned out, but was going to ask them after his complete examination was over.  I showed him the goods, and he gave me his opinion.  I definitely have gynecomastia.  I'm skinny, and the excess flab is definitely gland/fat.  I am a candidate for surgery, and this is the only solution to the problem.  He then proceeded to explain the condition in general, as well as his specific surgery method to deal with it.  A lot of it I knew from this site / research.  But I guess it was refreshing to hear it from him.  I told him what my personal doctor had said to me... like how he thought surgery was the easy way out and I should just work out.  He quickly reassured me that this doctor's opinion was not the best, and eradicated any doubts I had of my condition.  

Let me rant for a second.  I seriously think these fucking doctors (not Jacobs, my personal doctor) have an obligation to their patients to be more knowledgeable about the psychological impact that Gynecomastia has on younger boys.  Or even be knowledgeable about gynecomastia in general.  My doctor thought that it's only considered gynecomastia when liquid secretes from your nipple.  He was very defensive when I told him I thought he was wrong - he was absolutely sure it's just the secretion.  He was also strong in his belief that working out would 'make it look better'.  Its a wonder any 16-20 year old has this surgery.  It's a horrible thing, because first of all, you literally have no objective idea what shape you're in.  Are you skinny?  Fat?  Skinny-fat?  Also you feel like there's a problem, but you feel helpless because nothing seems to fix it.  So, confused and distraught, you go to your doctor, who reassures you (just as your parents have) that nothing's wrong and "it'll go away".  My doctor actually gave me the whole "the girl will like you for you" speech.  Yeah, I know, that's not the point and that's not for you to preach to me.  I know this.  I have breasts!  I don't care if a girl likes them, I don't!  Will they go away?  This is all I need to know from you.  (REAL ANSWER: there is nothing you can do besides plastic surgery to remove them.  This is all that I needed to hear.  This is all anyone needs to hear).  Without this site to see similar cases and hear other stories I probably wouldn't have gotten the surgery.

Anyways.  All the questions I had prepared escaped me because his explanation was so straight forward and clear.  I think I did ask him if my teets would ever re-grow after surgery.  Luckily, they won't unless I experiment with hormones or something.

So, finished with the consultation, I left to meet with the surgery planner.  A book, filled with pictures of nipples, was presented to me by a very nice woman.  I had already seen pretty much all of the pictures of gynecomastia surgery from Dr. Jacob's site, so I kind of just flipped through.  I knew that this guy was one of the best, but it was kind of nice to see these pictures.  I can't wait to be a member of the book of nipples.  

~ 1 week pre-op

I quit smoking (smoking for 5 years).  You have to for the procedure.  Feels pretty good.

I just had my blood test sent to Jacob's office.  I think they just need to make sure your levels are normal for surgery.  I HATE getting blood work done and was incredibly nervous for the test.  I almost had a panic attack.  It's not the pain, it's just the thought of the blood pouring out of your veins. It's also the needle.  I hate the damned needle.  But I got it done.  It wasn't as bad as I had worked it up in my mind to be, but it still wasn't pleasant.

Oddly enough, I'm not nervous about the surgery.  I'm not nervous because I recently had my wisdom teeth surgically removed and while I was REALLY freaked out for that, it ended up going incredibly well.  What originally scared me was the twilight anesthesia... I didn't like the fact that you'd have no control over what's happening to you.  But, I was given some nitrous gas, and they pricked me, and I was out and woke up without being conscious or caring at all.  As long as Jacob's office has this gas, I think I'm golden.  It PERFECTLY cures all my anxieties about the twilight stuff.  I'm sure if I had been gassed before my blood test, I wouldn't freak out about it.  

So now, I wait.  My confidence level has already improved.  It's weird.  It's like, knowing that my chest is a 'fixable problem', makes me realize that my insecurities are unwarranted.  It's like I'm prepping for post-op.  Now, I haven't been 100% socially crippled due to my gynecomastia like some of the authors of threads here.  This isn't meant as a jab, maybe I was just lucky.  Yeah, I was picked on, and it's taken its toll on me, but I've learned to deal with it.  So I think knowing that this surgery isn't a 'life or death' thing for me is conducive to my self-confidence boost.  I think I have a more realistic attitude towards the surgery than those guys who talk about suicide if they don't get it done (seriously these guys have to have more serious underlying problems OTHER than gynecomastia, they're just trying to blame it on one thing).  

BTW - Dr. Jacob's is very responsive with emails.  He promptly emailed me back all my questions/concerns I had about the surgery.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 12:03:15 PM by teetit »

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
Nice post!  You summarized what all of us are feeling very well. 

It must be a great feeling to be so close to getting rid of your problem.  And the fact that the Dr. doing your surgery is one of the best in the world at it probably doesn't feel too bad either!  :)

Good luck with it all and let us know what transpired!

Offline teetit

• Posting Member
Thank you.

Yeah it's a relief.  Excited to get it done from one of the best too (IMO because it's your body you shouldn't go for anything less.  I get that the cost is huge, though, which is a problem for a lot of us.  Especially with the way things are right now.)

I'll post back with any updates. 

Offline teetit

• Posting Member
A few days before

It's funny because I look at myself in the mirror and try to picture what I'm going to look like post-op, and I really can't imagine myself with a flat chest.  I think that alone attests to the psychological aspect of gynecomastia - you kind of lose an objective perspective of your own body.  It goes with the whole not knowing if you are fat or skinny or skinny-fat thing.  You lose the ability to judge yourself.  God, I can't wait to be over with this.  Not really scared but the nerves are slowly approaching.

The nerves are essentially composed of being 40% worried about the actual procedure, 10% doubt of it actually working (I realize this is irrational) and 50% overwhelmed.  When I say overwhelmed I don't mean that in a necessarily bad sense.  It takes a lot to get this procedure done.  You first have to tell someone (someone you can trust and can go with you to the surgery).  This, we all know, is one of the hardest things you can do.  It's embarrassing, and you can't help but feel a little vain (at least I did).  Then you have to go to the doctor's, research, get consultations, and really get all your shit right.  Then you have to get the money together, which thankfully wasn't as much a struggle in my case.  But still, money's money.  Then get the blood test done.  This is what I mean by being overwhelmed.  All of this is kind of converges together and it's all sort of peaking.  It's like, all at the focal point of my mind right now because I'm only a few days till the procedure.  And it's so close to being done - well kind of (I'm sure recovery will be a whole new ball game).  It really is amazing that anybody gets this procedure finalized.  It's a major accomplishment, just as much psychologically and emotionally as it is physically. 

I'm sure come the operation day I'll be terrified.  I tend to do that - I over-think and freak myself out. 

Offline teetit

• Posting Member
Had the op done, will post about it later.  I'm pretty tired, sore as hell, and this compression vest/binder is killing me, but I don't even care... It's finally over.  And thank god for painkillers.

Offline teetit

• Posting Member
Operation 

The day I got my breasts removed I was fiercely nervous.  Just a few days before I actually got a migraine thinking about it.  I get them from time to time and usually they start from stress.  The worst part is I couldn't take an Asparine/Excedrin because those don't mix well with the drugs they use for surgery.  So I took tylenol extra strength which did a lousy job in making my head feel any better.

As I got closer to the city (more specifically, closer to Park Ave) I really freaked out.  I felt little bits of everything.  A little regret, maybe I shouldn't do it, or maybe it won't help me, or maybe I'll never wake up after the anesthesia.  But I kind of forced the idea in my head - you're doing this whether you like it or not, so worrying about it is not going to do anything.  And that helped.

I got there an hour earlier so I had to suffer more horrible thoughts of what's going to happen to me in the op room.  The wait was excruciating for me.  When they called my name I went into a little room and changed into the surgery outfit.  I met the anesthesiologist and I asked him what I was thinking all day - "Do you have nitrous oxide gas to give patients for nerves?".  He shook his head.  Well that sucks - Don't think about it I kept telling myself.  Dr. Jacobs then came in the office and took some pictures and drew on my chest.  Moments later I went into the op room and laid down.  He has quite the team in there.  I thought it was just going to be him and the anesthesiologist but he really does have a whole team working.  Well, that's reassuring.

They were playing music and as I stared up into those big medical lights that hovered over me I thought I was in an episode of nip-tuck.  Maybe it'll be like the episode where the patient went under anesthesia but felt the entire procedure, paralyzed and helpless to do anything about it.  Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" was playing and I couldn't help but think about how this guy mysteriously died from drowning.  Maybe this is the last song I will ever hear.

"It's gonna make you feel like you had a couple margarita's".

The IV they had me on suddenly made me drunk and sedated.  I could feel it's effects relaxing me.

And then I woke up from a nap.  Damnit I came in the operation trying to be able to guage the exact time I went under but no such luck (this anasthegeoligist is too damn good)  The first thing I heard was one of the members of the surgery team telling me how well the procedure went.  What a hell of a way to wake up!  Everyone around me was telling me how well it went.  For a moment I thought there was a conspiracy or something, and it actually went horribly and they were just trying to make me feel better..  But then I realized that these guys are just nice and know how to treat their patients post-op.  Seriously, plastic surgeons of the world who read this, this is probably the best thing you can tell your patient when they immediately wake up.

So I sit up and they put the entire garment on me (the spandex shirt, the vest/binder).  It is TIGHT AS HELL.  I move to another room and lay down for awhile.  The IV is still in me, and it's hydrating me.  They go through several bags, and after awhile I have to piss like crazy.  So, after awhile, they take off the IV and I can pee (one of the greatest pee's of my life).  I meet up with my mom, and I ask her how long it's been.  She tells me she's been waiting forever, like 2-3 hours.  It literally felt like the procedure was instant for me.  I actually feel great at this point.  The local anesthesia is still doing it's job at making my chest numb.  My mom says she saw the amount of fat and stuff they removed because it was in two jars or something, and it surprised her how much was there.  This makes me happy.  The more the merrier.  At this point I wonder if Jacobs had to use excision. 

So I put back my clothes on (luckily I brought a button-up shirt to put over all the crap on my chest) and meet up with dr. jacobs.  He tells me some post-op instructions and tells me how the procedure went.  He tells me it went perfectly and I'll be really happy with the results (again, this is like the best thing you can hear at this point).  I ask him if he needed to open up the nipple and he says yes he did - there was some hard gland that he couldn't get out with the standard cannula so he used excision.  I'm actually very happy he needed to do this, because in a way, I feel like it further sort of justifies the surgery.  It wasn't all fat - and no amount of working out could have solved this. 

Then I schedule a follow-up visit next week and I'm out the door.  The drive back home was great until the local started wearing down.  Then my boobs chest started to hurt bad, but it's nothing the painkillers he gives you can't handle. 

When I got home I just laid down and rested and ate two huge sandwiches.  I was starving (you don't get to eat for awhile if your getting the operation - this is why if you do get it done try to get it done on the earlier side!).  Sleeping on your back really sucks.  Also, the tightness of the vest really affects your breathing.  You take shallow breaths.  This is why Jacobs recommends deep breathing every hours so you don't fever up.

Despite all the discomfort, I'm happy it's all over.  I haven't seen the result yet (need to wait another day) but I feel confident that they're good. 

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
I know you're uncomfortable now but that will soon pass and you'll be well on your way to feeling back to normal.....WITHOUT boobs!  You'll now have a lifetime of normal living and being able to feel good about yourself....just as nature intended.  A little pain now is nothing compared to the payoff.   

Congrats on the surgery.  It'll take a few months for it to look as good as it's going to look.  Bruises will go away, scars will fade, and I don't think you'll ever regret your decision. 

Keep us informed on how it's going/looking.

Offline teetit

• Posting Member
Yes Raider Fan- definitely looking forward to that!

About 48hrs post-op.  Feeling much better than the day of the operation.  I went out for awhile and took a long walk but became surprised when I got winded pretty soon.  My body totally conked out earlier than I thought it would.  It's funny - the pain exponentially goes down after the op day.  Also, sleeping with this thing is already not a problem really for me.  I'm pretty used to it.  Only thing is right now my nipples are ITCHY as hell through the binder.  It's incredibly itchy and there's nothing I can do to 'satisfy the itch'.  It really sucks.  If anyone has ANY advise on how to deal with this I would really appreciate it.  Also - if anyone knows a good way how to put the vest on BY YOURSELF that would also be helpful.

Oh, yeah I also saw my chest this morning.  It looked phenomenal... It was almost unreal seeing my chest like that.  I still don't totally accept it... I think it won't really hit me until this binder is able to come off me.  I didn't really notice any bruising.  And this is less than 48 hours after the op...  All I really saw was the redness from the tightness of the binder.  I know I didn't attach any pre-op pictures but I took some pix of my chest today to share:

EDIT: Entire chest is also tingling an insane amount - must be the nerves starting up again or something?

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
Wow...that's a flat chest.

Offline teetit

• Posting Member
Thanks (I still can't quite believe/accept it just yet). 

I got through the night - woke up a bit early.  Still a little itchy, but not as bad as last night.  Took a shower this morning and noticed a little bit of swelling on the left side.  The bruising is also a little more evident.  I figured this was bound to happen sooner or later.  I'm just glad the soreness is almost completely gone, and the itchiness has seriously gone down (thank god it was awful!).

Wearing the binder is getting easier, although putting it on is - I think - impossible without another person, which kind of sucks. 

Offline pharmerjoe

• Silver Member
good to see you've healed up really fast! amazing results for just 48 hours post op. I'm about 5 days post op, and I've still got an absolute tonne of bruising. Perhaps there wasn't much fat to remove for you.

Offline teetit

• Posting Member
Thanks pharmerjoe.  If it makes you feel better / more normal the bruising on my chest was definitely more pronounced this morning.  I'll see if I can take a picture tomorrow morning to show you the difference.

Offline teetit

• Posting Member
4 Days Post-OP

Sorry - forgot to take a pic this morning.  I will try to do that soon.

The itching is definitely still there, but it has lessened in intensity.  Just in case it was an insensitivity to the lycra undershirt, I put a cotton t-shirt underneath the undershirt, and than the binder over that.  Unfortunately it's not doing much which probably means this is just a normal part of the healing process.  When it was at it's worst it was REALLY bad, very uncomfortable.  The feeling of a thousand little bugs biting you in ADDITION to your chest being compressed by a binder is not very pleasant.  I haven't read much about this sensation on this board - maybe people can deal with it and I'm super sensitive or something.  When I took a shower I resisted the urge to dig my nails and claw all over my chest.  

Anyways, the binder feels especially tight today - perhaps it's from additional swelling or maybe I just put it on too tight.  I'm going to leave it for as long as I can without passing out!

Barely any soreness in the chest region.  Also, I'd say I'm about 85%-90% back to normal movement.  I can pretty much move around like I did pre-op.  I just have to be a little careful when going into certain positions.

Also - even with the undershirts/binder, my chest definitely looks different with a shirt over it than it did pre-op (in a good way).  Someone has already commented.

All in all, very satisfied with the surgery, but I also can't wait to take this damn vest off.  I think once the itching subsides, I'll feel a lot better.  Until then, I'll bitch and moan.  
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 10:20:19 AM by teetit »

Offline teetit

• Posting Member
5 Day Post-Op

Feeling much better, no itching (knocking on wood).

Here's an updated pic of my chest as promised:

You can see the yellowing which I can only assume is bruising from the operation.  I gotta say I have no more pain from the operation unless I physically push my chest with my hands.  95% back to normal movement.  Wish I could go back to my normal workload but I don't want to take any chances.

Actually excited about wearing a t-shirt today.

Offline teetit

• Posting Member
1 Week Post-Op

Pain 95% gone.  The occasional shooting pain / itchiness is so infrequent and weak it's not even worth complaining about.  No longer tired or weak, have almost full motion in my chest and arms.  Can't wait to get back to the gym and stop feeling lazy.  Only a few more weeks...

The binder is very concealable under a t-shirt.  It just sucks because it's hot and because I'm wearing the undershirt under it, it's even worse.  It's weird because when I'm outside walking around and stuff, I keep looking into mirrors and for moments, am self-conscious, but immediately realize that I'm normal.  It's a great feeling.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024