Author Topic: My parents just don't care  (Read 2203 times)

Offline gocanucksgo

• Posting Member
Hey everyone,

I think I will just get right into it. From day 1, I had to do everything about my gynecomastia, go to my doc myself, do the research everything. My parents just didn't care because they didn't think it was a big deal. They thought I looked perfectly normal, but they didn't care about the fact that it still really really bothers me a lot. Anyways, we had a consultation with a PS here in Vancouver and I just wasn't feeling the guy. So after doing some research I think I am going to choose Dr. Lista or Dr. Fielding, but I think Fielding because I have mainly only problems with puffy nipples. Anyways my parents just don't understand why it has to happen in Toronto, and they are just wondering how I am going to be taken care of, how I am going to go to class and stuff. They pretty much just don't want me to have it because they think its a hassle and not a big deal. Anyways I just wanted to ask some general questions so I could tell my parents.

If I don't live in Toronto will it be a problem with surgery? Coming back from surgery, Post-Op consultations, etc.

Also how quickly will I be able to go back to class?

How is the recovery?

How much support or help will I need after surgery?

Anyways I hope you guys can help,

Thanks

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Dude....  I sent you a PM.

John.
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline supaaman

• Silver Member
Hey man,

Fellow Nucks fan and gyne suffer...

That's easy for them to say.  I have been following this site for a while and just signed up today.  What I have learned is that there are a lot of guys that feel the same way we do.  So we are not alone!

From what I have been reading, it seems most guys are pretty much able to function within 2-3 days (ie. attending classes) and have very little pain, just some discomfort for a while.  it also sounds like most are back to normal in 6-8 weeks.

I see Bambu sent you a message and I am sure he can give you details.  He seems to have a lot of insight and experience.

I'm just working up the courage to have this problem addressed too.  I also would be going to TO (from Van).  It makes sense getting someone like Fielding or Lista, who do this procedure 100's of times a year.  I figure that I will just get a hotel room for a couple of days to relax before flying back to Van.  Probably not a great idea to get on a plane for a couple of days.  The air presure changes probably are not good for the wounds.

I read a guys post a while ago who had flown to TO from Van twice - once for consult and once for surgery and it sounds like it all worked out nicely for him.

It seems most (if not all) the stories I am reading have good results and give the guys improved body image and confidence.  I don't think we are being vain for wanting this.  We all just want to be 'normal' and fit in.  It would be nice to be able to walk into a store and buy any t-shirt you want and not have to find something that downplays or hides you chest.

Good luck with it.  I'll look forward to hearing your progress.  Take care man
JCF  Success Story - Surgery Aug 23, 2006

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024