Author Topic: Clothing Strategies?  (Read 2290 times)

Offline canadianmoobs123

• Bronze Member
What clothing strategies do you fellow gyne sufferers use when going out? I cant get a compression vest, so anything that might be sitting in my closet i can use to make my gyne less visible? Some people like the baggy shirts, some wear 2 shirts, others go out with a jacket? For the older gyne sufferers to, what did you wear to make it less noticeable. I spend at least 20 minutes in the bathroom trying out different T-Shirts, checking my chest from multiple angles etc.., and i still can not hide it well enough.but still the G is quite severe for someone my age(14) >:(

P.S. I went to the childrens hospital here in Vancoouver, and Im supposed to be getting a phone call from a plastic surgeon in a few weeks, so with any luck in a couple of months ill get surgery, and forget about this horrible disease and go around in T-Shirts and tank tops and just have fun.

Offline snugglebandit

• Posting Member
Shirts with thick graphics. Wearing a wife beater or second t-shirt. If you wanna get extreme you could use tape or an ace bandage around the chest.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I must disagree, at least in part. The idea of using tape is not a good one from what I've seen over the years.

The skin of the areola is quite thin and we have had instances reported where the tape has actually torn that skin and left scars that were worse in appearance than was the Gynecomastia to begin with.

So far as clothing is concerned, in the days before compression shirts were common I wore a snug tee under a buttoned shirt that was a bit loose and patterned. The shirt need not be so loose that it is baggy and I favored plaids when possible. Deeper colors seem to conceal better than light colors.

Wearing excessively loose and baggy garments or unseasonably heavy clothing simply calls attention to you and besides being uncomfortably hot it does not really conceal all that well.

Some men have told us that they went about stoop shouldered intentionally in an attempt to hide their condition. That does not actually work all that well either. Poor posture only makes you appear sloppy or lazy.
Grandpa Dan

Offline holdenc

Prior to having surgery for my gnecomastia, I wore a children's small/x-small t-shirt beneath my clothing. These can be found at a craft store, such as Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc, but I suppose this wardrobe basic would also be available at Wal-Mart and/or Target. The shirts are available in a wide variety of colors, allowing you to wear them under anything, and super inexpensive.

May I suggest that you buy a size far smaller than what you would typically wear. Yes, likely you will experience some level of discomfort; I found that the arm sleeves would sometimes chafe my underarms.  However, no matter how tight and thus painful the shirt, no matter how severe the chaffing around the armpits, a visibly flatter chest negates the discomfort. 

Personally, I wore a youth x-small throughout high school and into college. Until I underwent surgery for gynecomastia, this method of camouflaging my (disgusting) chest proved somewhat effective. Anywho, best of luck with the issue.

Offline amethyst tint

• Posting Member
I have worn a design veronique tank top compression shirt (available online) underneath my regular clothing. Not cheap, and not as comfy as a cotton T, but it fits fairly snugly and (at least in my case) there is no sign of gyne when I have it on. I don't always wear it but it's useful when wearing certain clothing, like dress shirts. You might want to buy a couple so that you can rotate them for washing purposes.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024