Author Topic: 2 months post-op: Surgery 7/30/15 - Dr. Cruise Newport Beach (Pics)  (Read 9141 times)

Offline moving_on

• Posting Member
Well, I had the surgery done just over 2 months ago and I'm glad I did it. Not looking to write some piece of classic literature here, so it will be a little choppy throughout and grammatical errors will run rampant. I know this place is littered with experiences, but think each one has something to offer some of us. I'm writing this to pay it forward to everyone that has shared their stories and pictures that inspired me or gave me insight. The first paragraph will be a bit about my history, experience with gyne and leading up to the surgery. The second will be surrounding the surgery. The third about healing. The fourth will be my thoughts on my chest and life now, and some advice will be the last paragraph.

History - I noticed my chest around middle school and thought it was just fat, because I was a pretty fat kid and all. Towards the end of high school when I got taller and lost some weight, my chest was still there and pointy. Early college I lost a lot of weight to get rid of my fatty chest, but it didn't help. I'm 6 foot nothing and have an frame to more of a runners build, but I got down to about 148 lbs at about 5-6% bf with no luck in my chest flattening. That was when I realized I had some actual gyne and looked into surgery. Looking around I saw the costs and became immediately disheartened that I wouldn't get the surgery in the foreseeable future. I looked around at a few surgeons and wanted Dr. Delgado ($8000 and up), because he wasn't too far from me and had a lot of patient pics. I didn't want a generic surgeon, because I wanted to feel more secure in having the best results. Anyway, that went on the back burner for several years not really saving my money or working a steady job throughout college since I had a mindset that it was too much to afford no matter what I did. I really regret that, because I missed out on a lot by not allowing myself to do things that I wanted to or pursue potential relationships...a lot of what-ifs in my past. I certainly enjoyed myself from time to time and liked to live in the moment, but life felt like an observation of others living it and not being part of it more often than not. For close to 10 years, virtually every single day I was concerned with stupid things like the wind blowing against me and wearing outfits that hid my chest (which being someone that already sweats easily to have to wear thicker clothes or layers during hot summers in the California valley was not enjoyable). Random people and friends have told me that I'm good-looking and my girlfriend said she didn't care and didn't notice it much, if at all, but we all know that it is something that draws so much attention from ourselves. I know I've seen people here that I can't believe they are bothered by their chest (some of them really are practically nonexistent), but I'm don't doubt guys here look at my pics and think the same thing. I eventually bought some compression tank tops after seeing recommendations here and they allowed me to feel more comfortable in public and in certain clothes. Before the compression tank, I started using tape to flatten my chest (I understand why you would want to and think it's fair to use in a pinch, but isn't viable for long term use). I remember using those waist bands you wrap around your gut on my chest for a bit in high school haha. With the new tank top, I started walking more upright and bringing my shoulders back, feeling more comfortable and confident. Towards the end of school I started working and saving just to save and after finishing I just thought I'd pop back in these forums, which I did from time to time, to look around. That got me checking out doctors and looking around online and brought me to Dr. Cruise. I saw his experience and prices, then realized I didn't need much more to have it done. I was pretty excited and nervous at the thought of finally having the chest I should've had...can't help but feel it's unfair we have to spend thousands to have something so simple that every guy should have. Another thing I didn't realize to do was to have a monthly payment, instead of paying if all off at once (got a 6 month payment plan with 0 percent interest). I was, and still am, 25 years old when all of this went into action.

Surgery - I contacted Dr. Cruise at Newport Beach and liked everything he had to say and that he has a lot of experience with this surgery, as well as, some sample pics on his site that I felt I had some resemblance to and promising results. Him and his staff were nice and accommodating; the facility is comfortable, nice and clean. I would recommend him. There's a range of prices depending on the severity of your gyne and mine ended up being around $6500 with local anesthesia (barely remember much during the surgery just that it felt weird, but no pain). I was a little nervous about it, but more than ready to have this done with. They'll give you instructions to prep and prepare for the big day. Didn't need any sort of tests prior to surgery, because I'm young and healthy. Not much else to say about it, they do their thing and you're out of there before you know it. You will need someone to help you after surgery for the day, and his office is willing to help with arrangements for you to have a caregiver, I believe. I had my best friend help me out, which was nice to have someone with me for a few days.

Healing - Most people here have covered the healing process, but there are a few noteworthy mentions. The drains were left in me for close to a week, these were pretty annoying and fairly conspicuous when going outside. I found tying a string around your waste to clip the drains on kept them away from your armpits and helped to hide them under a shirt. My chest was generally just sore and getting up/down first couple days wasn't the most comfortable. Didn't need my pain meds. Week by week you get your range of motion back in your arms. The first couple of weeks, it's hard to not reach overhead (you'll get a sharp pain if you do too much). My chest was pretty itchy for the first week and it made sleeping difficult at times. Also had some sharp pains around the areola from time to time in the first month, mostly happened out of nowhere and it's suppose to be normal. I found the compression vest to be ok, not as bad as I thought it would be and in the second month I only need it when I sleep, but it felt a little weird taking it off. I still wear it if I'm just hanging around home. My left side had a bit more mass in it and drooped a little more than my right side, so I believe they were a little more aggressive with my left side. As a result, my left side had more issues with it. The incision was a little inflamed and looked pretty bad, but it was a potential normal complication. It has gotten better with time and suppose to not affect the outcome of the scar. There also seems to be a bit of a depression in my areola, but this is something that may subside with more time. Right now when I flex my chest, my nipples wrinkle a little. There is scar tissue beneath the left incision that at times, with the depression, causes it stick out more than the nipple itself a little. Scar tissue can be dealt with if it doesn't go down, though. I had some oozing from the incision site about 2-3 weeks after, which only needed some neosporin and regular a bandage over it for a couple days. Sometimes my left nipple doesn't look as circular as it was, but that will probably change with time. The scars from were the sites were the drains were placed are still pretty noticeable (and the scars I was more worried about) and I doubt they'll get much better, but people say it takes about a year. My right side looks darn near perfect to me from the curvature and the incision blending in. Chest sensation is still a bit dull in the lower pec. The first month or two, you will have to pay attention to your chest and dress appropriately to hide your garments/bandages if you're like me and don't want it to be obvious. After the compression vest is off and you aren't wearing a compression garment during the day, it looks great. Activity wise, I believe 2 weeks was when I got the clear to start low impact cardio and begin working out legs. At about 6-8 weeks, began working out my arms and certain back exercises. My left chest isn't comfortable with certain shoulder exercises and still waiting to work out my chest at the 3 month mark.

Thoughts - So was it worth doing? Yes. Now having talked about the issues with the left side of my chest, I was prepared for it and know that it can get better with time (I am only 2 months into my healing). I still think my results are great and I went into for a realistic outcome. Will I do modeling and walk around shirtless everywhere? I doubt it. I never expected to have a completely normal and perfect surgery done (though my right side is pretty darn near a perfect job to me), I just wanted a normal curvature to my chest not think twice about my clothes when I go run an errand and I got that. This surgery really was essential to me being comfortable in my skin and think it's helped to alleviate some of what brought on some depression in my life. I feel good and comfortable wearing clothes I never would've worn without other layers, compression tank or tape. I don't care if the wind is blowing against me as I walk around. It's crazy. I like to workout and my diet plan and workout goals have been yo-yoing for a while now due to my chest, and now I'll be able to better commit to a fitness goal. Was in the middle of leaning up before my surgery happened and looking forward to my 3 month mark and getting the green light to ease into doing high impact cardio and working out my chest.

Advice - Anyone that was in my position should be proactive to getting this surgery done. Work, save your money, do what you need to and plan long term to save bit by bit and afford that surgery down the line. I know I was deterred following that plan, because I wanted it done now, not tomorrow, not a year or more down the line. The only thing that counted was getting this fixed now. Forget that and plan to have it achievable in however many years it will realistically take for you to get it done. The harder you work and more you do to save, the earlier you can have this surgery done. If this story helps just one of you with preparing or dealing with the healing process, then I'm glad I wrote this. If my before pictures and results are like you and give you an idea of what you can achieve after surgery, then I'm glad I wrote this.

I plan on updating from time to time. Think the big check-ins will be my 3 month mark at the end of October, then 6 months followed by a year being when the healing should be done. The pics are pre-op, 1 week post-op, 1 month post-op and 2 months post-op. Need to reduce the size of my pictures really quick.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:17:01 PM by moving_on »
My story and being post-op 12 months now (w/pics)
https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=31215.0

Offline moving_on

• Posting Member
gonna be a few posts of pics due to the limited file size for posts. that redness on my chest slowly faded away in a few weeks.

Offline moving_on

• Posting Member
got to attach a message with each attachment. series of pictures I'm attaching and different poses. notice that when doing the selfie with my arm, my left pec looks weird, but not that much now when doing the same action

Offline moving_on

• Posting Member
I find the diagonal views more helpful than side views

Offline moving_on

• Posting Member
you can see the puffiness of the incision at one month post op here. there was a little on the other side, but not that bad. I have better pics of this I could post

Offline moving_on

• Posting Member
other diagonal view

Offline moving_on

• Posting Member
The last set of this pics I took right after posting this topic, so a little over 2 months post op

Offline moving_on

• Posting Member
this shows pre-op and then 2 months post-op with the arm raised to really see the gyne. you can see the protuding area caused by the scar tissue under the incision. some of it may be from the tape over my incision (which I need to reapply for 3 months after the surgery).

Offline moving_on

• Posting Member
the more aesthetically pleasing right side

Offline moving_on

• Posting Member
got a bunch of other photos, but think what I showed you guys was good for now. I took diagonal pic of me in tank top pre-op I would have never worn before, then a pic of me with my hand over my pec to show what I wanted to look like after the surgery. I plan to take another pic in it and can post that later on when I do it, but I've been wearing that tank top out and feel good in it.

Here are 2 pics from the day of surgery.  The first is me with the lines drawn on my chest after Dr. Cruise met with me before the operation. The bottom lines are were the dullness in the chest extends to. The second is when I got back to the place I was staying at after surgery.

Offline Stan19

• Bronze Member
Great post. I am nearly a month post op and if i look anything like you at 2mths i'll be happy. You have a really nice result up to now. Congrats. 

Offline Gynecomastia Singapore

• Posting Member
Results look great!! All the best! 

Offline moving_on

• Posting Member
Thanks guys. Here to put up month 3 mark pics I took in the beginning of November. So as for recovery (really should've been in the post surgery/recovery board, but I felt getting this was already a success), I have numbness on my areola and the lower pec that's about the area of my hand. Can't really see it via the pic, but the contour of my left pec isn't great with some extra tissue being removed and scar tissue creating a little peak on the lower half of my nipple. Still a little tightness felt on that scar tissue part when I really stretch my arm. The incisions are better, the left side and where the drains were are still pretty noticeable (expected it to be that way, since I had a bit of tissue). With all that said, still feel great and free.

Offline moving_on

• Posting Member
can see the incisions pretty well here. looking forward to gradually increasing my high impact activity now that I have gotten through the 3 month mark, which feels more comfortable than it did at the 2 month point.

Offline cky2k

• Bronze Member
Hi Mate,

How'd it all heal up?

David.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024