Author Topic: Do surgeons never remove all of the gland?  (Read 6983 times)

Offline RyanMace

• Gold Member
Ye, it got to my mind that most surgeons try to sculpture the gland in order to make the chest look more natural. Is this always the case? Or, do they sometime remove all of the glandular tissue (the lump(s))?

Regards, Ryan.

Offline manic91m9

• Gold Member
this is interesting as i know i cant feel any gland at all after surgery and yet i constantly hear that they do not remove everything.

Offline slyblackdragon

• Silver Member
I think you would be left with quite a hollow if they removed it all... I think this is why they test you to try and determine if there is a hormonal problem causing the gynecomastia, ask about steroid/marjuana use, etc.

Offline manic91m9

• Gold Member
yer they are always talking about hollowness being an issue but if the skin is thin around the area (ie they lipo all the surrounding fat) then it doesn't seem like there should be an issue. i think my dr maybe left some tissue but it so thin i cant feel it.

Offline Ps3touch

• Posting Member
Having a little glandular tissue is natural and desired. You want a flat not a concave chest.

Offline slyblackdragon

• Silver Member
If they lipod all the fat out it wouldn't heal properly...that fatty layer holds the blood vessels that supply the skin.

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
If they lipod all the fat out it wouldn't heal properly...that fatty layer holds the blood vessels that supply the skin.

so you're saying the skin doesnt' have any blood vessles? lmao...

Offline manic91m9

• Gold Member
we really need a doctor for this one, dr bermant anywhere perhaps?

Offline slyblackdragon

• Silver Member

I think you will find "skin" is a loose term. By skin do you mean the whole of the integumentary system? If you are than the hypodermis is part of that layer. As the deepest layer of the integumentary system it functions in energy storage, insulation, and houses blood vessels that nourish the more superficial layers.
Please don't try and make me look like a fool.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 01:40:46 AM by slyblackdragon »

Offline manic91m9

• Gold Member
its possible for skin to be extremely thin, even at its thinnest there would be fat cells etc there, im unsure how much fat they can remove with liposuction but it would appear in my case they were able to make the skin pretty thin, then theres the skin of the nipple which is probably thinner but would also still have a very fine layer of fat (being that fat is part of skin) i assume there is a very thin (like a millimeter) of gland left behind in my case which would balance the difference in thickness between nipple skin and the surrounding skin.

anyhow if i read between the lines you are asking this question because a) you are concerned about regrowth
 or b) you are concerned about contour or u just don't want to feel the gland. as far as breast growth if you have had it for a long time, as in a number of years and it hasn't grown then why would it grow again? it doesn't seem to happen unless you have a hormone imbalance. and as far as feeling the gland/knowing its there if u have a good surgeon you won't feel it or see it post op.

another thought, do women who have mastectomy's for cancer or whatever reason experience breast tissue regrowth? i would have thought not therefore even if u do have high estrogen levels why would you experience regrowth?

Offline eddyr

• Posting Member
Good, experienced surgeons do not take ALL the gland out.  They take most of it and sculpt the rest.  If you take it all out, it is concave and looks bad.  Go to someone who specializes. There are plenty, it's so common.

GynO_DuDe

As above, surgeons dont remove it all ... they remove the deformed glandular tissue (the excess growth) sculpting the chest leaving it flat and not concave. If all of it were to be removed, you'd be left with a concave chest and back to square one, looking weird.

Offline moobius

• Gold Member

I think you will find "skin" is a loose term. By skin do you mean the whole of the integumentary system? If you are than the hypodermis is part of that layer. As the deepest layer of the integumentary system it functions in energy storage, insulation, and houses blood vessels that nourish the more superficial layers.
Please don't try and make me look like a fool.

clearly, the dermis has plenty of blood vessels of it's own. all the fat could in fact be lipo'd out of the hypodermis and it would still heal just fine. new blood vessels would form where old ones were severed.   if you don't want to be made to look like a fool, maybe you shouldn't post.

Offline slyblackdragon

• Silver Member
Maybe you would realize upon closer inspection that the smaller capillaries in the dermis are fed by larger blood vessels in the hypodermis. Where exactly would these "new blood vessels" get their blood supply?

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
Maybe you would realize upon closer inspection that the smaller capillaries in the dermis are fed by larger blood vessels in the hypodermis. Where exactly would these "new blood vessels" get their blood supply?

Angiogenesis.  anything else you need me to shed some light on?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024