Author Topic: Post-op swelling  (Read 5469 times)

Offline Jim1985

• Bronze Member
    • Pre and post surgery photos
Hi all,

I am 20 years old and have had gynecomastia since I was about 13/14 years old. I decieded to go ahead with the op and the procedure was 6 weeks ago. I was really happy with the results at first and was told to wear a compression garment for 6 weeks to help reduce swelling. I was only allowed to take the garment of to shower and had a look at the results and was still very happy. I was looking forward to getting rid of the compression garment for good, but having had the compression garment off for a day and a half now, there has been a fair amount of swelling. I was wondering if this is this normal? And, if so, how long does it take the swelling to subside?

Cheers,
James
Surgery 2nd April with Dr. Benito.

Offline rcbrown23

I'm sure it's normal. Different people will get different ranges as far as how long it's going to stay. Hopefully it will go down in just a few days.

Is it general swelling of the entire chest, or just around the nips?

Offline Jim1985

• Bronze Member
Most of my chest has swelled from what I saw when I took the garment off, but a little bit more on the left side and there is also a patch where it is a bit tender. I know I should wait to see if it will subside, but in all honesty, the size of my chest seems quite similar to how it was before the op, just more rounded.

I know swelling is normal, but I am just wondering if it is normal for sudden swelling, in particular, immediatly after the garment is taken off or is this the result I am going to end up with because the doctor said there would be about a 70% reduction in chest size.

Offline aux513s

• Silver Member
I think only time will tell, keep us updated.

Offline rcbrown23

What op did you have? and how much do you weigh?

If it was a liposuction procedure, it could take awhile to see the results.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 03:20:30 PM by rcbrown23 »

Offline ByeBye

• Posting Member
Funny you mention that.
I am 2.5 weeks post op and I was planning on keeping the vest a full 3 weeks. I took it off for about 4 hours on friday just for the sake of wearing a t-shirt at some event, but after 4 hours, I started to notice some  considerable swelling. I put the vest back on and the next morning the swelling was gone again.

I guess I will wear it an extra week or two (FUUUuuck), I am sick and tired of this compression strap...

Can anybody else help us here !!!???

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Funny you mention that.
I am 2.5 weeks post op and I was planning on keeping the vest a full 3 weeks. I took it off for about 4 hours on friday just for the sake of wearing a t-shirt at some event, but after 4 hours, I started to notice some  considerable swelling. I put the vest back on and the next morning the swelling was gone again.

Hmmmm.... weird huh?

My tensor was on and off after day 2 and never noticed an 'increase' of swelling after taking the tensor off. Also, all swelling was gone by day 12.

John.
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline toronto

• Silver Member
  • Gyne Free since April 27, 2005

Hmmmm.... weird huh?

My tensor was on and off after day 2 and never noticed an 'increase' of swelling after taking the tensor off. Also, all swelling was gone by day 12.

John.

tensor isn't as tight as these vests..the tensor allows some swelling even when it's on..i don't think these vests allow anything so as soon as it's taken off, the body swells..probably the same amount as someone who wears a tensor but more noticable because you go from no swelling to swelling..that's my theory anyway..

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...

tensor isn't as tight as these vests..the tensor allows some swelling even when it's on..i don't think these vests allow anything so as soon as it's taken off, the body swells..probably the same amount as someone who wears a tensor but more noticable because you go from no swelling to swelling..that's my theory anyway..

You may be right there Dude.

John.

Offline Jim1985

• Bronze Member
I am 6' 7" (2m for any europeans out there), and weigh about 235lbs. I am a little overweight, but not much at all for my height.

The procedure was a male mastoplexy (I think that's how you spell it). He did this because to remove some fat and the amount of gland I had using the normal gynecomastia procedure would mean making a vertical incision, leaving a pretty mean scar!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024