Author Topic: what is scar tissue?what is swelling?  (Read 3971 times)

Offline sasidon

• Bronze Member
can some one explain in detail ??
**Surgery done @ Appollo chennai**
Surgeon : Dr K Ramachandran

Surgery exp : http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=15201.0
Pics : http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=15513.0
**Pretty happy with the results...**
"All you need is to be mentally strong with enough financial support...get them off"

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Swelling, is pretty much self explanatory...  Swelling is what happens when a damaged part of the body swells up, gets larger.

The 'scar tissue' everyone talks about is the non visible scar tissue in your chest. Scar tissue feels hard as a rock.

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline sasidon

• Bronze Member
is that scar tissue internal or something external and visible? and will that cause pain?

i am one week post op and there is big pain and looks like it is coz of the swelling...
how long will the swelling exists?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

is that scar tissue internal or something external and visible? and will that cause pain?

Yes, scar tissue is internal. I don't think it should cause any pain. I didn't experience any pain from scar tissue...

Consult your Plastic Surgeon if you are experiencing 'excessive' pain.

i am one week post op and there is big pain and looks like it is coz of the swelling...
how long will the swelling exists?

The duration of the swelling will vary from person to person. We all heal at different rates.

As I mentioned above, if you are experiencing excessive pain/swelling, contact your PS  A.S.A.P....

Do you have excessive swelling?

GB

Offline Noseguard

• Silver Member
  • You t*t, what's he gonna do nibble your bum?

This is a post on scar tissue Dr. Jacobs posted back in April when I had asked the same question.  I liked it, so there is is......

The scar tissue that you see on the surface is, in fact, no different than the scar tissue underneath the surface!  In fact, when gyne surgery is performed across the entire surface of the chest, there will ultimately be a layer of scar tissue underneath in a layer across the chest as well.  (That is what makes revision or secondary surgery so difficult and why it behooves one to get the surgery done right the first time around).  Sometimes excess scar tissue forms in response to a small collection of blood, which can occur after surgery.

The body will eventually re-model the scar tissue, removing more of the scar tissue than what builds up -- but there will always be some layer of scar tissue present after surgery or injury -- forever.  That is why doctors will recommend observation and patience, and sometimes massage, in dealing with scar tissue -- it usually gets better by itself -- but it may take 6 months or more.

I trust this will answer some of your questions.

Elliot Jacobs, MD, FACS
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 12:07:23 PM by Noseguard »

Offline MA1980

• Posting Member
When the body is injured, it sets off a very complicated sequence of wound healing.  But ultimately, the body heals with scar tissue, which is different from the usual tissue of the area which was injured.  For example, if you know someone who has had surgery with an incision through the skin, that skin does not heal back as virgin skin again.  The tissue that you see on the surface is scar tissue.  If someone has very deep burns, the skin too will heal with scar tissue.   If you look at scar tissue under a microscope, it has a distinctive appearance and is the same from individual to individual.
This is a post on scar tissue Dr. Jacobs posted back in April when I had asked the same question.  I liked it, so there is is......

The scar tissue that you see on the surface is, in fact, no different than the scar tissue underneath the surface!  In fact, when gyne surgery is performed across the entire surface of the chest, there will ultimately be a layer of scar tissue underneath in a layer across the chest as well.  (That is what makes revision or secondary surgery so difficult and why it behooves one to get the surgery done right the first time around).  Sometimes excess scar tissue forms in response to a small collection of blood, which can occur after surgery.

The body will eventually re-model the scar tissue, removing more of the scar tissue than what builds up -- but there will always be some layer of scar tissue present after surgery or injury -- forever.  That is why doctors will recommend observation and patience, and sometimes massage, in dealing with scar tissue -- it usually gets better by itself -- but it may take 6 months or more.

I trust this will answer some of your questions.

Elliot Jacobs, MD, FACS

Thanks dude

It helps so much, but what about the swellings?? how long does it take to be healed?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

What about the swellings?? how long does it take to be healed?

The duration of the swelling will vary from person to person. We all heal at different rates.

GB

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024