Author Topic: My dad.  (Read 2621 times)

Offline nothingworse

• Gold Member
My dad has a bad case of gyne. Although he is very overweight. I saw pictures of him when he was skinny and he still looked like he had a mild/moderate case of gyne. I asked my mom if he had gyne when she first met him when he was fit and she said no. But, my mom said I had a barrel chest and didn't know I had a problem until I saw a doctor about painful and tender glands. But, anyways when I talk to him about it he doens't want to input anything about it. I know he won't lose it and will still have gyne when he loses weight but, am more concerned with him losing weight right now. Since he almost died from heart failure about 2 years ago and had a defibulator put in. I guess he doesn't have a problem with it but, I think he would if he lost all the weight again. But, then again not much was known about gyne 20-25 years ago. But, old photos of my grandpa he never had it never saw him though because he died way before I was born. I think I got mine from my dad. I don't know if gyne can be heriditary. All this though is weird. When I think about it my other grandpa who died even further before my other one never had gyne, and none of the guys on my moms side never had it. So I am just wondering if I got it from him. I thought I had klineftlers but, I don't think so. It is just weird though none of my family besides my dad really has gyne most of them are a little overweight and have a little gyne Psuedo gyne that when I saw them in pictures when they are skinny didn't have gyne. So no one besides me and my dad really have a problem with gyne. I just wondered if I inherited it because I just don't recognize gyne much in my family and when I was younger I remember my mom said to me one time it killed me I had bigger breasts then hers. She didn't really see much of the gyne in her family and any that popped up was just from weight. I just wondering why my dad had it at his skinniest form and why I have it and why no one else really has any form of real gyne in my family most are just a little overweight. I don't get it? Did I get it from my dad. Maybe just the reason of most of my family not really having gyne made me so hateful of it and the pain from my tender glands. My cousins on my moms side and dads side don't have it either except for one who is a little overweight but, doesn't have it when at normal weight. I am just puzzled why I would have it when I come from a family who typically has nothing to do with gyne. Anyone else have this?

Offline a-man

• Silver Member
  • Gyne free!
paragraphs are your friend

Offline nothingworse

• Gold Member
Sorry about that I get real lazy when school isn't here. But, I just don't get why I have gyne when no one else in my family really has it besides my dad. I am not sure but, that leads me to think maybe I got it from my dad. Can gyne be heriditary. And I don't know if my mom remembers that one comment about my breasts but, it still haunts me today 7 years later.

Offline nukem2k5

• Breasts belong on women!
It's often debated whether gyne is hereditery.  From my experience, I'd say it is definitely something passed through one's family, as I had it, and both of my two brothers each have it.  I don't know if there's any real evidence as to if it's really hereditery, but I don't see why not.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 03:15:36 PM by nukem2k5 »
Reborn on May 24, 2005
Surgery Cost: $4,040
Dr. David Metzner - New Orleans, LA
My Photos
Two Years Post-Op Photos

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
As for gynecomastia being hereditary .... well below is the list of causes of gynecomastia and their relative frequency, copied from the medical paper Endocrinology of Gynecomastia by AAA Ismail and JH Barth.

Idiopathic                  25%
Puberty                  25%
Drugs                  10 to 20%
Cirrhosis or malnutrition      8%
Primary Hypogonadism      8%
Testicular tumour            3%
Secondary Hypogonadism      2%
Hyperthyroidism            2%
Renal disease            1%
Others                  6%.

As far as I’m aware the vast majority of the above ailments are not heriditary, but maybe the familial link would come under "others" at 6%.
Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Or they might be grouped in the ideopathic figures.

Some may show up as in puberty, when a youn man's eventual outcome may echo that of his male ancestors.

I love the word "idiopathic"  It seems to be a medical term meaning: "I Dunno"...  or possibly: "It caused Itself".  The word seems to be in the same class as virus.  The old comic Bob Hope once Quipped that: "Virus is a medical term meaning your guess is as good as mine,"

All this aside, there is no doubt that it runs in my family.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 03:24:25 AM by Paa_Paw »
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024