Author Topic: anti depressants,low testorone and gyne  (Read 2352 times)

Offline ma_5

• Posting Member
i was on anti depressants for 4 years, during this time i developed gyne..i thought it was a coincidence, nothing in my medication said anything about chest developement.
 things ive found out since have changed my mind...opened my eyes.
basically it comes to this
- antidepressants affect liver function, eastrogen is dealt with/flushed out the body as a toxin by the liver, so this doesnt happen properly.
- antidepressants cause weight gain, which aside from putting fat on your chest...being overweight affects testosterone levels.

you can find now literature about weight gain and possible chest growth in the leaflet that come with your medication. anything else about liver and eastrogen you can find on google.

this is not a debate on the benifits on anti depressants , just my story that relates to gyne

all the best m

Offline Worrier

• Gold Member
It is bad isn't it. I was on an anitpsychotic for a  number of years that caused my gyne.Although the side effect leaflet did say gyne can happen in rare cases, like one in three thousand.......
        It also caused my testosterone to lower as well. I became very depressed due to the gyne and the low test and in the end my doctor took me off it as he was concerned it was making me worse ...
        Since then I have felt miles better and have not been on any meds for nearly a year now.The gyne has also shrunk a little as well which is good.I was put on the drug for BDD which is ironic and I can't say it did very much and I was on a very low dose.
           I have also lost all the weight as well I put on.basically loads of meds not just psychiatric meds can give you gyno and it is really luck of the draw.
          As I said going off meds worked for me but everyone is different  and as the med was doing not very much anyway (BDD is very difficult to treat) .I did not have much to lose. Plus my doctor supported me in this.
         If the med is working well you really need to weigh things up. Beleive me if that drug had got rid of my mental health problem I would have taken it gyne or no gyne. As the  mental health problem messed my health up more than this gyne has.I would talk things over with your doctor if you are considering going off as these drugs have withdrawal symptioms. And I was on valium for three months to get off the med i was on as it was terrible.
        good luck

Offline ma_5

• Posting Member
   hi, thanks for the nice messages , but this is all in the past...i came off anti depressants 18months ago, and had surgery for my gyne......still sorting out the underlying problems but there is an end to it coming...(my chest looks great btw, and when you come off anti depressants the weight falls off)
  the post was more for people who may be taking antidepressants and have gyne who dont know the connections (as i didnt).
       thanks, there is a lot of support on this board

Offline Bluesun_Returns

• Silver Member
All of this is really interesting.  So tell me, herbal-meds like St. John's Wort, would they have any effect in  helping the production of gyne?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 10:39:55 AM by Bluesun_Returns »
Bluesun

Offline ma_5

• Posting Member
i honestly dont know....the medication im talking about is compleately different to that of st johns wort, you cant really compare them like that. i'd guess not as st johns wort is not as extreem a product.
 if it does,then it is in a totally different way...

kicka

I was on diazepam that can also make you and did make me get gyne

as above it became worse also by the fact i put on so much weight the weight went when i stopped taking them but the hard gyne has remained and as far as i no im expecting a letter awaiting surgery now.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024