Author Topic: Surgery cost with Dr Fielding  (Read 15939 times)

Offline robkos

I had assessment with Dr Fielding in Toronto and was given the cost of surgery of $ 2100.
I was told that OHIP will cover stay in hospital, post surgery care etc. Is this right? I was under impression that OHIP covers part of the cost of actual surgery, I think I read somewhere that glands removal is covered by OHIP and liposuction is not. So, why I have to cover all surgery costs? Is this amount of $ 2100 what are you guys paying for Dr Fielding operation?

Offline Give me Life

• Gold Member
Hi:

I had an impression that I was the higest paid patient of Dr. Fielding ($1900). But $2100 is really a record breaker. Never heard of this much charged by him in this site. OHIP covers the gland removal fees plus hospital use fee. He only charge for lipo procedure that goes along with gland removal. You might have very big size of cheast and more work require to remove all fat and gland. That's may be the reason he is charging so much. If not, than all I can think is (due to this site) because of now he is so busy, he raise his fees.

Anyway,, he is really a good doctor to go for.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 02:42:54 PM by Give me Life »
Surgery done on Sept 6th, 2006 with Dr. Fielding - Toronto. Not 100% cured but will get there for sure !!!
----------------------------------------------------

Revision done on December 7th, 2007. Let's hope for best !!!
-------------------------------------------

Dr. Fielding
Suite #401, 2425 Bloor Street West, Toronto

Tel: 416.766.88

Offline robkos

Well, I am not a fat guy, not much to remove, kind of mild case of gyno. I don't know why I am charged so much. I also read on this forum that surgery was done under local anesthesia but Dr Fielding didn't give me this option, he said it will be general anesthesia (I will be put to sleep) and after surgery I have to be picked up by family member or they will not let me leave the hospital until the next day...can't even take a taxi. Is this what you guys experienced?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I had assessment with Dr Fielding in Toronto and was given the cost of surgery of $ 2100. So, why I have to cover all surgery costs?

What makes you think that 'You' are paying for all surgery costs?

Well, I am not a fat guy, not much to remove, kind of mild case of gyno. I don't know why I am charged so much. I also read on this forum that surgery was done under local anesthesia but Dr Fielding didn't give me this option, he said it will be general anesthesia (I will be put to sleep) and after surgery I have to be picked up by family member or they will not let me leave the hospital until the next day...can't even take a taxi. Is this what you guys experienced?

Dude, it's a fact of life that products/services go up in price as time goes by. At $2100, you should consider yourself lucky as many guys in the US are paying anywheres from $6,000 to $10,000 for the same procedure ;).  What would you rather do? Pay JCF $2100, or live the rest of your life with 'The Curse'?   ???

In regard to being released from hospital....  I really don't think that they could stop you from taking a taxi to your hotel/home. Whatever you do, please do not drive a car for at least 48 hours Post-Op...

GB
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 04:21:19 PM by Grandpa Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline robkos

How much guys on this board paid for exactly the same procedure only few months ago?? Yes, services costs go up but not hundreds of $$ in few months ok? With this speed Fielding will charge $10.000 pretty soon... I don't care what people in US pay for surgery, I'm here in Canada not there. And I pay my taxes, so don't give me this bs "dude you should consider yourself lucky".  I was asking simple question how much ppl paid because comparing to recent posts reporting operation costs with Fielding mine seems strangely high. That's all.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I Paid $1280 (taxes in), 3 years ago.

Ok then, lets stay within the confines of the Great White North... The last I heard, Dr. Lista in Mississauga was charging a little over $5000.... OUCH!   No OHIP to bail you out there....  :-\

You know.... all Doctors are business men/women. They charge what ever they feel that they can get for their service. If you think that JCF is charging too much, then don't go to him.

It seems that Dr. Fielding raises his fee for Lipo in spurts and not gradually. Also, I have found that his fees are sporadic from patient to patient. It seems that he just 'Picking out of hat'.... so to speak.

GB

Offline robkos

Yeah, I think he "picked out of hat" that fee, maybe he didn't like something about me, who knows, who cares. Maybe it was just unlucky day for me because on top of that, when I was already sitting in this small waiting room of his ready to see him, the phone rang and he spend like 40 min talking and I had to sit in this small hole staring at the wall.  When he finally came he was done talking to me in few minutes (just general info), and ready to leave. I managed to ask some questions but didn't get clear answer about OHIP and costs, so that's why I also asked this question about OHIP here. I know Fielding has generally good reputation here, I'm not trying to trash it, or whining.  Just describing what happened, and I'm not going to pretend that I was not disappointed. Maybe it was just my bad luck that day.

Is Fielding and Lista really the only alternative here? I can't imagine that there are no other surgeons in GTA that don't do this kind of relatively easy procedures. And I don't think about cosmetic surgeons in private clinics but other doctors who do as Fielding does (hospital and OHIP coverage). Did you hear about anybody?

Offline dcvet

• Silver Member
There are plenty of surgeons that wll do the surgery.  However, if feilding is too much $ for you at 2100, I doubt you'll use the others as they're 5 - 8 grand.  I dont know of any others that get OHIP to pay the majority like fielding does.  I paid 1590 last year but would have easily paid much more.  Being pissed about getting a higher price isnt going to help your life any - wasted energy in my opinion.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

There are plenty of surgeons that wll do the surgery.  However, if feilding is too much $ for you at 2100, I doubt you'll use the others as they're 5 - 8 grand.  I dont know of any others that get OHIP to pay the majority like fielding does.  I paid 1590 last year but would have easily paid much more.

I would have sold my soul to the devil to be rid of my gyne....  Well, not really.... but you know what I trying to get at right...   :P

Being pissed about getting a higher price isnt going to help your life any - wasted energy in my opinion.

Exactly dude....   ;)     Worry/Anger is wasted energy for sure....

The way I look at it.... Dr. Fielding is about the cheapest around, with an awesome GRS reputation.

robkos...

If you are not happy with JCF's fees, then do some more research my man....  Call a few PS's and arrange a consult... Find out what 'they' are charging. Doesn't hurt to 'shop around'....   ;)

GB

Offline loman1

• Posting Member
I paid $1900 for surgery with fielding in January 2007. On top of that I paid for two flights from the west coast and 1 week's hotel stay. So I think I might have come out at a "little" more than $2100. Best money I ever spent.

If you really need it done, don't let the extra $300 - $400 stop you. No matter what doctor you go to, your life post-op will change for the better after you get rid of the gyne. This will be the best money you ever spend on yourself. TRUST ME!!!

Offline Grandpa Bambu

If you really need it done, don't let the extra $300 - $400 stop you. No matter what doctor you go to, your life post-op will change for the better after you get rid of the gyne. This will be the best money you ever spend on yourself. TRUST ME!!!

Well said!

GB

Offline Give me Life

• Gold Member
Hi:

As Loman said, few bucks won't be matter as this can be your investment in lifetime. Do you see your self suffering from this whole life or your want to get rid of it and enjoy rest of the life ... worry free ... shirtless on beach ... shirtless in pool ????

I paid $1900 and another $1000 on revision last year december. Even though I am not 100% there. But if require, I will defiently go for another revision. I want to spend rest of my life enjoying on beach ... taking dip in pool ... shirtless. $2100 is not much from what I paid almost 18 months back($1900). So I think you should consider the option. Rest is your call.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 09:55:44 PM by Give me Life »

Offline eblaze777

Hi guys, I'm looking into Dr. Fielding for my surgery.  I'm American, and could easily make the drive up to Toronto (I live in New York).  How much would this surgery cost total, as I won't have the OHIP?  Thanks a ton.

Offline 300zib

• Posting Member
I'm interested in knowing if there taking U.S. patients?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

As far as I know, Dr. Fielding is not accepting Out of Country patients.

However, give his office a call. OOCP policies may have changed in recent months.

GB

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024