Author Topic: Surgery with Haugrud  (Read 13614 times)

Offline titsrntcool

• Posting Member
Well, I posted on here a while ago, and my bookmark for this site changed so I am posting a new string on here instead of continuing with my old one.  Anyhoo...I had my consult with Dr. Haugrud in calgary on Jan 24, 2007.  It was quick and painless.  He went through the regular surgery jargin about expected results, complications, scarring etc.  Then he asked if I wanted to go ahead with the surgery and I said "wait-we have to discuss what it will cost first"  even though I had an idea that it was covered after talking and listening to a few people on this site, then he said "dont worry, its covered by AB healthcare.  He said every surgeon in alberta can do the same thing if they wanted to-its to their discretion-haugrud just chooses to do it through that route.  From what I understand the gov't only pays surgeons about $750 to do the surgery-instead of say the $3500 another surgeon quoted me for the exact same procedure.  He says he does not advertise that he does this surgery and charges it to gov't because he does not want to only do this procedure or be known as the gyno surgeon.  I would recommend for anyone else who might see him-dont mention this site or that you have heard he regularly does this procedure, maybe he will rethink how he does it!!  Maybe I have not idea what I am talking about, I just would hate for something like that ruin it for others, like myself.  I think no matter what, I would have done this surgery, free or paid for, I just cant stand this problem anymore.  My surgery will not be until between july and october as I have to go under general anesthetic instead of local, so the wait is longer.  I will update when I have had the procedure.
Just a note-I have to give praise for this site, for if I had not found it, I would have had no clue about Dr. Haugrud and this free surgery.  All you guys who live in alberta-get your a##! over to this guy, take advantage of simply living in this province.  A plus with this surgeon as well is that he does do this surgery on a fairly regular basis, so you know the results should be good.
I swear if I ever run across other guys who have this, and I know it bothers them, I will definitely tell them about haugrud.
Cheers

Offline saucy

• Posting Member
Amen man. I just had my surgery with Haugrud about 2-3 weeks ago. I couldn't say any bad things about him really..smart guy lots of experience and you should be fine going through surgery. Good luck

Offline huffking

• Posting Member
I have my consult comming up in April with him. Im just hopping that i can get the surgery done before sept so i will have time to recoup prior to next sem.

Offline titsrntcool

• Posting Member
Hey saucy, how did your surgery turn out?  Did you have any complications, or healing issues?  I have a problem with puffy nipples, and I have read some other posts saying that sometimes puffy nipples return after surgery-was this true for you (if you had puffy nipples)?  Are you happy with your results?

Offline .invincible.ironman.

• Posting Member
  • I hate YaBB 1G - SP1!
hope you dont mind if I hijack this thread...  ;)

I'm going in for my consult today. I really hope it goes well. I'm not sure what to expect but I hope it's as you said "quick and painless" !!

Offline Estie1

• Posting Member
My first post here...but I am a long time reader/lurker and like many others feel like I owe this site a lot for the resources provided.
Anyway, I had my surgery with Dr. Haugrud  on Tuesday morning. Everything seemed to go smooth. I have an appointment to get the drains removed tomorrow. I think I will feel better once that is behind me. The fluid coming into the drains is slowing, I believe that is a good sign. There hasn't been too much pain. The occasional shooting burn on the right side, when that starts happening I pop a T3 and it seems to fight it. They also gave me Percocet but I haven't needed it. I have yet to take a look at his work. I imagine I will see for the first time tomorrow when I go see him. But I can already tell things are much better. As discussed in another thread he didn't suggest a compression vest and currently I am wrapped tightly in a tensor that was put on  by a nurse. I will discuss things with him further tomorrow.
After researching many threads on this site my recovery seems to be going exactly how I expected. It's still very early in the process but I feel that I was prepared for what was/and is to come.
I'll try and keep everyone posted on my recovery...and of course PM or reply with any questions.
 :)

Offline NoChance

• Posting Member
Thanks for the update Estie1, my surgery is coming up in June and I'm anxious and nervous so any info is a bonus.  That was me in that other thread mentioning Haugrad's different style.  How do the drains feel?  Im guessing you can only really lie on you back right now?

Offline Estie1

• Posting Member
Drains are out now. My situation is a little different because I don't live in Calgary and don't have the access to his services on short notice outside of this week. The plan was to possibly leave the drains in for a week just to be on the safe side. However he decided I was in fair enough condition that he pulled the drains this afternoon. I am glad he made that decision. I was not a fan of the drains. Not because they hurt, mostly because they are a pain in the ass....and yes I am pretty much stuck to laying on my back which is an adjustment because I never sleep that way.

I also got my first look at his work and am satisfied thus far. Of course we are still only 48 hours post op and there is a long way to go. Both sides are feeling numb today, with a little bit of pain. It's worth it to look down and see a flat chest though. I guess now I just cross my fingers and hope the fluid doesn't pool now that the drains are gone.

I poked around looking for a compression vest today and couldn't find anything locally so I opted for the Under Armour route instead. I will give that a go later on.

Offline EDMGyno24

• Posting Member
Hey, Just found this site, good to see I'm not the only one.  Does anyone have Dr. Haygrud's contact info? I'm in the Edmonton Area so it would be alot better than flying to T.O to see Fielding. I've had no luck here in Edmonton finding a good surgen they all charge $5000+

Offline EDMGyno24

• Posting Member
right on thanks, have to talked with him?

Offline bloh

The wait for the surgery is said to be 6-9 months. I'm just wondering if the people that have already had the surgery with him could clear that up a bit. Was it closer to 6 months or 9?

Thanks a lot

Offline Estie1

• Posting Member
My wait was about 7 months. They did call at about the 6 month mark to try and squeeze me into a surgery on short notice...but I couldn't make it happen with work.

Offline Shattered_Nyte

• Silver Member
They told me that I would have to wait 6 to 9 months and they would call me a month in advance to let me know when my surgery was.

Offline .invincible.ironman.

• Posting Member
  • I hate YaBB 1G - SP1!
They told me that I would have to wait 6 to 9 months and they would call me a month in advance to let me know when my surgery was.

same.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024