Author Topic: Adelaide Surgeon and Cost  (Read 14676 times)

Offline Zigster

• Posting Member
Got a quote from the surgeon, i had to rind for the rest to each place but have sorted maximum costs of;

Dr Robert Coren works with Calvary private Hospital

Surgeon Fee inc assistant      = $895.70             (I Pay $1,530 Cost then get a $634.30rebate)
Anesthetist fee                    = $585.00             (Pay gap only - Rebate paid Directly to surgeon)
Theater Fee                        = $1,252.00          (no rebates)
Overnight stay                     = $623.00            (no rebates)

Total Before Medicare Rebates= $3,990.00
Total after Medicare Rebates  = $3,355.70

Not bad i think....what you think?
Anything i haven't included?
How much is a Garment?

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
Sounds extremely cheap. 

They usually give you the compression garment after the surgery, otherwise you can buy one for about 50-100 dollars. (for a good one)
Surgery done 18th March 2008

Offline Zigster

• Posting Member
well break it down to the 3 areas...which one is cheap.

if the hospital is cheap then all good,
if the anaethetist is cheap id be worried....
if the surgeon is cheap, then im happy as i know his reputation.

Sue thistelwhaite (sp?) her surgeon fee is about $2000, so only 500 more...

Offline Ernster86

• Posting Member
Thanks for the info Zigster.

However are you able to get any before and after pics...or something to put yours and our minds at ease if we were to go with this surgeon.

It does sound too cheap for my liking...and believe me...I love saving $$  :D

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
I was mainly referring to the surgeons fee. $895? Seems amazingly cheap. 

I'd like to know who they are, what their experience is with the procedure, what you are having done exactly and what post op care is covered by that amount.

If you are happy with it then go for it, sounds like a bargain!

Offline Zigster

• Posting Member
$895 is after the rebate....the cost is $1530 then i get the medicare rebate...i remember reading about Sue thist her fee is something like $2050??? so comparing sydney to adelaide etc...doesnt seem that much cheaper...???

havent got any before or after pics, but he has all the credentials etc, worked with the bali bombing victims i heard...

He told me he has done it plenty of times, he wasnt pushy or anything like that.

Offline Ernster86

• Posting Member
Thanks for the info Zigster..

seems like a great price.. however hopefully he can provide some before and after pics, before you agree, otherwise id be a bit worried.

Any more info you can provide us as you progress would be great:)

thanks.

Im going to go to my doctor in the next few days and try and get a referal..don't know which surgeon I'll go with though, Ill need to dicuss with my doctor.

Bit scary:)

Offline Zigster

• Posting Member
let me know who you are referred to, i actually don't think the price is all that "cheap" for Adelaide.

Its $500 more in Sydney so it has to be cheaper in Adelaide surely....

lets get some more Adelaide prices on this board !!!

Offline Ernster86

• Posting Member
i'll hopefully go this monday and see what my doc says.

Actually $3,990.00 is really cheap

Most  instance ive heard prices from 5-7K.

however another thread in the aussie board about a surgoen called Sue, the poster was quoted at 4K, so maybe this price isnt that alarming low.

Zigster Will you be able to get Before and after photos from Dr Coren???

Id like to be reffered to him too if his up to scratch, especially for that nice price:) But its very alarming when the price is quite low.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 03:45:24 AM by Ernster86 »

Offline Zigster

• Posting Member
I haven't got any before and after shots of any operations and i haven't had my surgery yet.

People keep saying this is cheap, $4,000 is not cheap!

And make sure you compare the surgeons fee before rebate.

Also other hospitals and Anesthetist charge differently and this may affect the price

Sue Thistlethwaite is talked about by many on here as one of the best, her fee i read is $2000

Robert Coren charges $1530

Her final overall cost is higher, due to higher hospital and anesthetist fees.

I wouldn't consider $470 a considerable difference, when you compare Adelaide to Sydney.

Offline raymond21

• Posting Member
sue's fee for me was $3500

Offline anon1234

• Posting Member
I recently had surgery in Adelaide almost three weeks ago now, I will be creating a comprehensive new thread in a month or so and will try to get a copy of the pre op pics my surgeon took and will definitely put up some post op. At this stage given it is very early days and it is almost seems like my chest is changing on a daily basis due to differences in swelling I would rather not go in to too much detail about the results other than saying at the moment I happy with them.

Cost wise all up it was approximately $1600 that included surgeon and anesthetist fees, there was help from medicare and my private health insurance. Sorry I never found out how much that saved me.

Having said all that if anyone has any questions happy to respond now as I know how hard it was going through the process in Adelaide given the lack of information out there.

Offline bewdy

anon1234 and Zigster  - any comments or photos please?

Anyone else had surgery in Adelaide?

TIA!

Offline anon1234

• Posting Member
anon1234 and Zigster  - any comments or photos please?

Anyone else had surgery in Adelaide?

TIA!

Hi Bewdy,

Sorry not been checking often, I never was able to get my hands on the before pics so the after probably not going to give you a great idea.

Overall I am about 80% happy, one side is not as flat as the other not different enough to be easily noticable by others I dont think however I know it is there. I have looked at getting follow up surgery to get it to 100% satisfaction but at this stage not really sure it is worth it. The surgeon did say he would keep his costs down however there are still the costs of day surgery etc. and now with medicare very unlikely to help like last time given how I now look. I think it will still be around the $1500 to $2000 mark. Overall he said he removed about 600ml in total so there is definitely a noticable difference for me in feel and look. The surgeon also seemed to think I would be able to reduce the remaining side I am not completely happy with by about 50% through weight loss, I am not fat however could stand to lose 5kgs or so, thinking I may do that before taking the surgical step again.

Do you have any specific questions you would like ask?

Offline WannaCutItOut

Hi Anon1234
I know you havent posted on this thread in a while but would like to know who you saw in Adelaide.
I would also like to know from anyone else about Dr Richard Hamilton in Cumberland Park. Anyone had surgery with him??
Would love to know as I Wanna Cut This Shit Out !!!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024