Author Topic: need surgeon for 13 yr old boy  (Read 4742 times)

Offline gynemom

my son has gynecomastia, yes he's been tested for hormone issues etc. and we've been watching it get worse for 2 years, and his dad, grandfather and uncles all had it.  Insurance of course turned us down, and quoted us $9700, that was a pediatric surgeon quoting 'bilateral subcutaneous mastectomy".   I realize lipo isnt an option, but do I need to stay with a ped.surgeon?  Is this procedure the right thing instead of lipo? HELP this confused mom please!

Offline gynebegone2

• Bronze Member
This is just me thinking out loud, but at 13, even if his gynecomastia is at a point where it will not possibly change in condition, his body may.  That is to say if he gets the op, and he gets taller, or perhaps he gets broader shoulders wouldn't the results of the op change?  13 just seems very young.

As far as who should do the procedure, with your consent I don't believe there is a legal issue involved.  (I'm assuming your in the U.S. due to your insurance problem).  Some Dr's may have reservations about it due to age, and its their option to proceed or deny it.

The word Mastectomy is a very scary one!  What are the goals and expectations of your surgeon?  If it is just to remove tissue your son may not be happy with the results and could be impacted for the rest of his life.  I would suggest finding a skilled and experienced (in gynecomastia) plastic surgeon and see what they think.

Offline tubbs

• Posting Member
Let me first say what a great mom you are for being so understanding of your son's issue.  I don't know if there are special issues for a doctor to charge $9700 for the surgery, but that seems a little steep.

I would certainly get at least one other opinion.

The extra constultation may cost you a few bucks, but could save a you plenty in the end.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I would suggest finding a skilled and experienced (in gynecomastia) plastic surgeon and see what they think.

Agreed 100%...

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I don't know if there are special issues for a doctor to charge $9700 for the surgery, but that seems a little steep.

Agree with this also... You should be able to find a qualified PS for about $6000. Give or take a few of course...  ;)

Do your homework!

As gynebegone2 said, it sounds like you are in the US. What part of the US are you?

GB

Offline gynebegone2

• Bronze Member
One more thing..  Although I'm sure your pediatric surgeon is probably a very capable one, I would be a bit concerned with a pediatric surgeons experience level in performing "mastectomy's" in general.

The difference in cost is more than likely due to the association with a hospital.  Generally it seems that plastic surgeons that perform procedures out of their office charge about 30% less.

I'm curious as to why liposuction would not be an option, perhaps there is a medical reason.. but don't let the name scare you, its not that you are a mother treating your sons obesity with it, its to ensure the best and most natural looking results.  Most gyne operations do include some extent of lipo it seems.

At the very least I would speak with a Plastic surgeon  or someone who has a bit more interest in the cosmetic aspect.

It would certainly be better to have to little taken out at the age of 13 and a revision when hes a bit older, then to have too much removed and be trying to find a way to reconstruct his chest.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 10:37:18 PM by gynebegone2 »

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Could not agree more.  You should consult with a plastic surgeon about your son -- the PS would bring a different perspective to the discussion.  BTW, I would ask how many gyne procedures the pediatric surgeon has done (I'll bet not too many!).

To date, I have operated on many teens, including some from age 12.  The changes in their physical and emotional states cannot be calculated.  As is my technique, I always start off with lipo and see how far that carries me.  If necessary, I will do a nipple incision to complete the removal of tissue.  Medically, this is correctly termed a subcutaneous mastectomy, but do not be put off by the terminology.

Suggest you find an experienced gyne surgeon in your area.

Elliot JAcobs, MD, FACS
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline gynemom

Thanks for all your advice!  That gives me a direction to go.  I'm in Indianapolis, IN and the surgeon is with Riley Hosp for Children, which is why he's so expensive probably. It sounds like he does these procedures all the time, but I didn't ask for a count (oops on my part!).  We were referred to him, so that's why we ended up there. I'll take your advice and get another opinion.  Thanks again guys!

Offline merle

• Gold Member
  • Author, Psychotherapist, Consultant
    • Merle James Yost, LMFT
I don't have any surgeons currently in IN, but I think the closest on on the Find A Surgeon Database is in OH

Dr. Greg Morrison
Business Name
Mid-Ohio Plastic Surgery
Address
5969 E. Broad Street
Suite 302
Columbus, OH 43213

135 N. Ewing Street
Suite 204
Lancaster, OH 43130

You know the geography better than I, check out the database.

Best of luck,

Merle
Demystifying Gynecomastia: Men with Breasts
The first book on Gynecomastia

My newest book: Facing the Truth of Your Life is very relevant to members of this forum. It could save you a lot of unnecessary pain and time.

Book books are available on Amazon. FTTOYL is also available through your local bookstore or on Audible or iTunes.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 09:17:10 AM by Grandpa Bambu »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024