Author Topic: 21 year old, should I get surgery? 1gyno 1normal  (Read 5604 times)

Offline tannoy01

• Posting Member
hello, Im 21 with an obvious gynecomastia problem. only have the issue in one side though :( I never really had an issue shedding my shirt in front of people or friends, just maybe some gals I might be interested in o.O I currently work at the beach as a surf instructor so I cant really wear a sweatshirt around. since I dont have a major confidence issue with it, (well i kind of do) Ive passed on surgery up til now. my question is, for those who have had surgery, how well have the scars healed and also, since I only have it in one side is it likely a surgeon could match the puffy nipple with the 'normal' one? Im worried that since Ive had this in my chest for the last 3-4+ years my nipple will be stretched out and will not be as flat as my other post-op(though its not like they match now). thanks.

also, what are the kind of prices will I be looking at for surgery? Ive read that insurance most likely wont cover it seeing its cosmetic, though isnt a form of reconstruction surgery... heh, I think ill give my provider a call tomorrow.

front:

gynecomastia:

normal:

DrBermant

hello, Im 21 with an obvious gynecomastia problem. only have the issue in one side though :( I never really had an issue shedding my shirt in front of people or friends, just maybe some gals I might be interested in o.O I currently work at the beach as a surf instructor so I cant really wear a sweatshirt around. since I dont have a major confidence issue with it, (well i kind of do) Ive passed on surgery up til now. my question is, for those who have had surgery, how well have the scars healed and also, since I only have it in one side is it likely a surgeon could match the puffy nipple with the 'normal' one? Im worried that since Ive had this in my chest for the last 3-4+ years my nipple will be stretched out and will not be as flat as my other post-op(though its not like they match now). thanks.

also, what are the kind of prices will I be looking at for surgery? Ive read that insurance most likely wont cover it seeing its cosmetic, though isnt a form of reconstruction surgery... heh, I think ill give my provider a call tomorrow.

One Sided or Unilateral Gynecomastia is quite common.  However, more often both sides have some problem one more so than the other with Uneven or Asymmetry Gynecomastia.  Cost of surgery can vary from doctor to doctor and around the world.  Jane is my office manager and can better discuss costs and fees.  She can normally be reached at our office by phone Monday - Friday 9-5 Eastern Time at (804) 748-7737.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
It looks like just a glandular problem.  Your puffy nipple/areola should shrink nicely once the tissue behind it has been removed.  It can probably be done under local anesthesia, as it looks relatively minor.

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline tannoy01

• Posting Member
[quote author=Dr. Pope link=topic=14926.msg104450#msg104450 date=1216178070]
It looks like just a glandular problem.  Your puffy nipple/areola should shrink nicely once the tissue behind it has been removed.  It can probably be done under local anesthesia, as it looks relatively minor.

Dr. Pope, M.D.
[/quote]

Dr. Pope,
I know I will need a formal consultation to get an accurate price though what would you think something like the removal of glandular tissue cost? A ballpark estimate would be more than appreciated. Thanks.

• Supporting Doctors
Hard to say.  The fee varies around the U.S., and I don't know where you live.  In Florida, the average fee for gynecomastia repair is around $4500 to $5000, and that includes gland excision and lipo, general anesthesia, and O.R. fees.  I charge less for gland removal only; the total price there is probably $1000 less.

Dr. Pope, M.D.

Offline tannoy01

• Posting Member
[quote author=Dr. Pope link=topic=14926.msg104539#msg104539 date=1216260591]
Hard to say.  The fee varies around the U.S., and I don't know where you live.  In Florida, the average fee for gynecomastia repair is around $4500 to $5000, and that includes gland excision and lipo, general anesthesia, and O.R. fees.  I charge less for gland removal only; the total price there is probably $1000 less.

Dr. Pope, M.D.
[/quote]

Thanks, that helps a lot. I'm located in southern California, I imagine there are a lot of plastic surgeons between Los Angeles and San Diego. Ill look further into it in the upcoming weeks. Hopefully I can find a reasonable price, college students don't have too much money. >.<

• Supporting Doctors
Are you near Modesto?  I know a great PS there - Dr. Jim Payne.  Yes, his name is Dr. Payne.  >.<

Dr. Pope, M.D.

Offline tannoy01

• Posting Member
[quote author=Dr. Pope link=topic=14926.msg104796#msg104796 date=1216527205]
Are you near Modesto?  I know a great PS there - Dr. Jim Payne.  Yes, his name is Dr. Payne.  >.<

Dr. Pope, M.D.
[/quote]

Unfortunately I am not, from San Diego to be specific. Modesto would be a little out of the way.

miamivice

"I charge less for gland removal only; the total price there is probably $1000 less.
Dr. Pope, M.D."

Hey Doc. Pope I know this thread is old but is this excision price still good?

• Supporting Doctors
Yes, I charge less for gland removal only than I do for combination gland removal and liposuction.  Feel free to call my patient coordinator Lisa for a price quote.

Dr. Pope, MD

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024