Author Topic: Seeking Dr. Michael Bermant  (Read 4104 times)

Offline megaron

Hello Dr. Bermant,

I have been researching gynecomastia for quiet some time, and I would have to say that I am more comfortable with your method. I wanted to share some photos of my gynecomastia. Could you please take a look and let me know how to proceed forward? I currently live in California.
Age=28
Height=5'11
Weight=208lb
BMI=29
Body Fat= 21%

No matter how much weight is lost from dieting, I still cannot get rid of my gyno.

DrBermant

Hello Dr. Bermant,

I have been researching gynecomastia for quiet some time, and I would have to say that I am more comfortable with your method. I wanted to share some photos of my gynecomastia. Could you please take a look and let me know how to proceed forward? I currently live in California.
Age=28
Height=5'11
Weight=208lb
BMI=29
Body Fat= 21%

No matter how much weight is lost from dieting, I still cannot get rid of my gyno.

My typical recommendation is for patients to get to a weight they are happy with and then consider their surgical options. 

Weight loss will not reduce the gland component of gynecomastia, but may help with the fat component.  With a BMI (Body Mass Index) calculation at the high limit of overweight and a body fat analysis of 21%, there may be a global fat issue.  If planning weight loss,  losing weight before gynecomastia surgery is typically better than weight loss after.  As a good sculptor, I prefer using a coarse tool first, and then the refining tools.  Losing weight is a coarse tool, you cannot pick where the fat comes from.  Plastic Surgery is better reserved for refinement.

We see many Gynecomastia Patients from California who prefer my techniques and are happy to help you explore your concerns during a consultation or a Preliminary Remote Discussion.  Jane is my office manager and can explain the process.  She can normally be reached at our office by phone Monday - Friday 9-5 Eastern Time at (804) 748-7737.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline megaron

Thanks for the quick response Dr. Bermont,

I am currently dieting, and I hope to lower my weight to the lower 190s. The BMI test does not consider muscle weight or bone density. According to that test, I always seem overweight, even when I dropped to 187 lbs (my best weight ever). Low carb diets usually allow me shred pretty fast, so I will probably contact your office once I reach 192~194.

I have a question for you.

If I gain weight after the surgery (back to 210), will I have the same problem?

DrBermant

Thanks for the quick response Dr. Bermont,

I am currently dieting, and I hope to lower my weight to the lower 190s. The BMI test does not consider muscle weight or bone density. According to that test, I always seem overweight, even when I dropped to 187 lbs (my best weight ever). Low carb diets usually allow me shred pretty fast, so I will probably contact your office once I reach 192~194.

I have a question for you.

If I gain weight after the surgery (back to 210), will I have the same problem?

You are quite welcome!

BMI does not take into consideration if the weight is from fat, bones, or muscle.  That is why Body Fat Analyzers are needed when considering BMI. 

Gynecomastia surgery does not prevent fatty breasts from coming back with weight gain unless all of the fat is removed between the skin and the chest muscles.  No fat layer means no lubrication between skin and muscle. Skin adherent to muscle looks ridiculous, does not move normally, and the fat at the edges still increases with weight gain looking even worse. You can see what I mean by checking out the Crater Deformity Complications of Gynecomastia Surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline megaron

Dr. Bermont,

I know that FSA does not cover the surgery. However, is there anything that can be used by the FSA to offset the cost? (ie medications, vests)

Offline megaron

Dr. Bermont,

Just an update: I am now 202lbs. with 17% body fat. I think the setting was wrong on my BF analyzer. Once I changed the setting to athlete, the BF% dropped drastically.

I spoke to Jane the other day and I am pretty close to doing this surgery, but first, I want to see if FSA is applicable.

DrBermant

Dr. Bermont,

Just an update: I am now 202lbs. with 17% body fat. I think the setting was wrong on my BF analyzer. Once I changed the setting to athlete, the BF% dropped drastically.

I spoke to Jane the other day and I am pretty close to doing this surgery, but first, I want to see if FSA is applicable.

Jane can better discuss insurance and payment issues.  We look forward to helping you explore your concerns.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024