Author Topic: Do I need to get surgery for this?  (Read 3193 times)

Offline Merangue

• Silver Member
So, I've had this from when I was like 10 years old. I'm now 22, 6', 177lbs. I've never actually felt pain or soreness in my chest.

I've been working out for the past few months (beginning of january). Been going to the gym 5 days a week pretty consistently (only missed 3-4 days since I started), half an hour of ellipticals, about an hour of strength. In terms of my diet: I don't eat fast food, soft drinks at all but my eating schedule isn't that great (usually just two meals a day, skipping breakfast... i know not good, damn schedule). I usually just eat home cooked food.

Anyway, should I keep exercising or is surgery the only option for me? Also what kind of gynecomestia do I have? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 08:26:54 AM by Merangue »

DrBermant

So, I've had this from when I was like 10 years old. I'm now 22, 6', 177lbs. I've never actually felt pain or soreness in my chest.

I've been working out for the past few months (beginning of january). Been going to the gym 5 days a week pretty consistently (only missed 3-4 days since I started), half an hour of ellipticals, about an hour of strength. In terms of my diet: I don't eat fast food, soft drinks at all but my eating schedule isn't that great (usually just two meals a day, skipping breakfast... i know not good, damn schedule). I usually just eat home cooked food.

Anyway, should I keep exercising or is surgery the only option for me? Also what kind of gynecomestia do I have? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I work with many Bodybuilders with Gynecomastia.  Bodybuilding is great for shaping muscle, but does not help with gynecomastia.  A common complaint is as they build their muscles, what sits on top of the muscle just gets pushed out further. 

All gynecomastia consists of gland, fat, and skin as you can see in these Anatomy of Gynecomastia Drawings.  Trying to define a condition as gynecomastia vs. pseudogynecomasetia has limited to no value due to the vague terminology.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline jimmy663

• Posting Member
Meranque,
You look just like me. I have been working out steadily for the last year, I'm 6-0 and 210 lbs. I know have no choice but to have surgery. My plan is to get to 185 by late summer, then fly from Michigan to see Dr. Bermant for a consultation, with surgery this coming fall.
Good Luck!!!!!

anonymous1

I'd personally say keep working out, I looked like that a couple years ago and now with working out I have no fat, just a good bit of gland, but I have an acceptable body.

Offline wolfman

• keep fighting my friends
hi
keep working out and see when u tighten your body u will see if u need the surgery

Keep Working Hard

Henrik
i finally feel like im a man

DrBermant

Meranque,
You look just like me. I have been working out steadily for the last year, I'm 6-0 and 210 lbs. I know have no choice but to have surgery. My plan is to get to 185 by late summer, then fly from Michigan to see Dr. Bermant for a consultation, with surgery this coming fall.
Good Luck!!!!!

We see many patients from Michigan and around the world who prefer my techniques and are glad to help you explore your concerns.  Some patients like coming in person for their consultations.  Others prefer to minimize travel with our Preliminary Remote Discussion.

Weight Loss Before Gynecomastia Surgery can make a major change to the body contour and is much better than gambling on how the weight will come off after the operation.  Losing weight can help with the fat component of the gynecomastia.  Body Fat Analyzers can be quite helpful in monitoring progress.  Remember converting fat to muscle may not change the scale but may still reflect significant progress.

Many of our patients have commented how Body Shaping Garments can help with the emotional component while working the the weight loss. 

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024