Author Topic: consult with PS today what is your opinion (pics included)  (Read 2660 times)

Offline changingme

Hello all,

I have been on this site many times but just recently discovered the message board.  I have been looking around a lot but have not been able to find any pre-op pictures of anyone resembling me.  I am curious to know what people think about my condition and if you think that surgery will make a big difference.  I know it will make a difference but i guess i am more concerned with having drooping skin.  I had a consultation with a plastic surgeon today and was told that there is a small amount of gland behind my nipples but that it is mostly fat.  He said that he would perform lipo inserting just below my under arms and also make the incision on the lower portion of my nipple to clear out the glands.  He stated that obviously I would feel more comfortable in clothing but he was not certain if loose skin would remain or not.  I do not want to go back and get the scars associated with getting rid of the loose skin.  I would like to think that I would feel comfortable eventually taking my shirt off in public but at the same time, would probably still be happier clothed if I didn't have the huge chest.

I am currently 6' tall and weigh 235lbs.  I know I am fat but am losing weight and also putting on some muscle.  I don't want to be buff, but my goal is to be down to 190 - 200 lbs.  I was at 265 a few months ago  (and was at 290 about a year ago.. that was the heaviest i have ever been) but have been eating healthy and walking the dog, treadmill, and doing dumbell exercise along with some ab exercises.  I would like to get rid of most of the flab so taking my shirt off isn't embarrassing (I never take my shirt off).  My ex girlfriend is the only person that has seen me shirtless (besides doctors) in the last 5+ years.  I have always been heavy and have had the chest since I can remember.  I got down to 165 pounds around the time that i was 20 (had started at 265 then) but my chest really didn't shrink at all.  I didn't have a good diet or workout plan then, but I mainly put the weight back on because it was more embarrassing having a chest that stuck out much further than my belly. 

Take a look at my pictures and let me know what you think.  Do you think that I will need the skin removed or do you think that lipo and gland removal will do the trick? 

The doctor that I went to for the consult is Dr. David J. Ettinger in Beavercreek Ohio (near Dayton).  It's kind of embarrassing but his website definitely make it look like he specializes in women.  I asked him if had performed this surgery on someone similar to me and he said he had with good results.  He also stated he has done much larger (which definitely required the skin removal surgery) and much smaller.  He was nice, but didn't have before and after pictures available as he stated that they are stored on a computer and the person that accesses them was out of the office.  I was a bit dissappointed that he didn't have pictures readily available to show me but I have an appointment with him next week so that I can see these pictures. 

I am sure you all probably think I should loose the extra 35 - 45 lbs before surgery and I am still debating that too.  I do think that the weight would be a lot easier to loose if I have the surgery first though as I will be more apt to run outside.  I won't run in public because of the bouncing...  so I am open to your oppinion on that as well as anything else you may have to say.  Thanks in advance for your feedback.

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww274/barcod21/P4160092.jpg

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww274/barcod21/P4160097.jpg

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww274/barcod21/P4160101.jpg

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww274/barcod21/P4160094.jpg

Offline changingme

I forgot to mention.  I am currently 28 years old.

DrBermant

Hello all,

I have been on this site many times but just recently discovered the message board.  I have been looking around a lot but have not been able to find any pre-op pictures of anyone resembling me.  I am curious to know what people think about my condition and if you think that surgery will make a big difference.  I know it will make a difference but i guess i am more concerned with having drooping skin.  I had a consultation with a plastic surgeon today and was told that there is a small amount of gland behind my nipples but that it is mostly fat.  He said that he would perform lipo inserting just below my under arms and also make the incision on the lower portion of my nipple to clear out the glands.  He stated that obviously I would feel more comfortable in clothing but he was not certain if loose skin would remain or not.  I do not want to go back and get the scars associated with getting rid of the loose skin.  I would like to think that I would feel comfortable eventually taking my shirt off in public but at the same time, would probably still be happier clothed if I didn't have the huge chest.

I am currently 6' tall and weigh 235lbs.  I know I am fat but am losing weight and also putting on some muscle.  I don't want to be buff, but my goal is to be down to 190 - 200 lbs.  I was at 265 a few months ago  (and was at 290 about a year ago.. that was the heaviest i have ever been) but have been eating healthy and walking the dog, treadmill, and doing dumbell exercise along with some ab exercises.  I would like to get rid of most of the flab so taking my shirt off isn't embarrassing (I never take my shirt off).  My ex girlfriend is the only person that has seen me shirtless (besides doctors) in the last 5+ years.  I have always been heavy and have had the chest since I can remember.  I got down to 165 pounds around the time that i was 20 (had started at 265 then) but my chest really didn't shrink at all.  I didn't have a good diet or workout plan then, but I mainly put the weight back on because it was more embarrassing having a chest that stuck out much further than my belly. 

Take a look at my pictures and let me know what you think.  Do you think that I will need the skin removed or do you think that lipo and gland removal will do the trick? 

The doctor that I went to for the consult is Dr. David J. Ettinger in Beavercreek Ohio (near Dayton).  It's kind of embarrassing but his website definitely make it look like he specializes in women.  I asked him if had performed this surgery on someone similar to me and he said he had with good results.  He also stated he has done much larger (which definitely required the skin removal surgery) and much smaller.  He was nice, but didn't have before and after pictures available as he stated that they are stored on a computer and the person that accesses them was out of the office.  I was a bit dissappointed that he didn't have pictures readily available to show me but I have an appointment with him next week so that I can see these pictures. 

I am sure you all probably think I should loose the extra 35 - 45 lbs before surgery and I am still debating that too.  I do think that the weight would be a lot easier to loose if I have the surgery first though as I will be more apt to run outside.  I won't run in public because of the bouncing...  so I am open to your oppinion on that as well as anything else you may have to say.  Thanks in advance for your feedback.

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww274/barcod21/P4160092.jpg

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww274/barcod21/P4160097.jpg

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww274/barcod21/P4160101.jpg

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww274/barcod21/P4160094.jpg

Weight loss after surgery is a gamble how it will come off.  Men tend to put fat first on the chest and abdomen.  We take it off those regions last.  If your surgeon contours you to your general body fat, and then you lose the weight, and like most it does not come off the chest as much, then it may look like the gynecomastia has come back!  For my patients I typically recommend using weight loss as the coarse tool and reserving the plastic surgery for refinement.  Plastic Surgery is not a good tool to "jump start" the process.  But it is you who would be gambling. 

No Surgery Body Shaping Garments are a less invasive temporary measure.  Check how tissues bounce and move with a very good garment in these movies with and without garments during activity.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024