Author Topic: PLEASE HELP FIGHT THE PROPOSED COSMETIC SURGERY TAX  (Read 12780 times)

DrBermant

Say "NO" to Taxing Cosmetic Surgery!

Cosmetic Surgery Tax will Affect Most Gynecomastia Surgery in the United States. Join a facebook cause to express your views:

http://apps.facebook.com/causes/406288/101403874

Michael Bermant, M.D.

Offline steelhead

• Silver Member
What kind of tax are we looking at ? 10% ?
This is not good for guys like me needing to save a little more to go thru surgery.

Offline fluffy_tits

• Gold Member
Lol this tax act prolly won't take place for along time anyway but why the hell they're trying to tax cosmetic surgery if they don't let insurance cover it!! that's kinda stupid!

and it's 5% tax they are trying to start off with.

Where can I go to vote no??? i didn't see it....send a direct link instead of the one you gave for facebook...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 01:50:19 AM by fluffy_tits »
My before and after surgery pics: Leave a comment if you look!! (HAD THE WRONG LINK UP! THIS IS THE ONE WITH ALL THE PICS)
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=19342.0

DrBermant

Say "NO" to Taxing Cosmetic Surgery!

Cosmetic Surgery Tax will Affect Most Gynecomastia Surgery in the United States. Join a facebook cause to express your views:

http://apps.facebook.com/causes/406288/101403874

Michael Bermant, M.D.

Here is an email that was mailed by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons:

The Senate opened debate yesterday on a health reform bill that includes a new 5 percent cosmetic medical tax that will be devastating for cosmetic surgery patients in the United States.  ASPS has spoken publicly against the addition of this tax and relayed many arguments against it to Congress and the press.  We urge you to do the same!  Now that debate has begun, reaching out to your Senators is more vital than ever.  

Patients should also call their Members of Congress by utilizing the U.S. Capitol switchboard at 202-225-3121.  NOTE: They must know the name of their Member of Congress prior to calling the switchboard.  This information for Senators can be found at

http://www.senate.gov

(scroll by state).  They can determine the name of their representative by going to www.house.gov where you can enter your zip code. to obtain your Senator's D.C. office contact information.

It is very important that you write each of your Members of Congress and call often to log your concern about the cosmetic tax!  

For now, patients should bombard offices with phone calls.

The cost of all cosmetic surgery will rise. Gynecomastia surgery costs will increase.

The time to act is now!

That is why I posted these details here.

Michael Bermant, M.D.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 04:44:54 PM by web_admin »

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
During the Carter administration, a very high tax was enacted on luxury boats and yachts. The idea was that such a tax would only impact the wealthy since they were the people who bought those items.

The result was that the builders of those yachts either closed or moved overseas. We not only lost the industries of building the luxury yachts, but all the suppliers as well. The makers of marine engines closed and were replaced by companies in foreign countries.

The wealthy still get their yachts, but all of the jobs went elsewhere and the yachts are purchased in countries where they are smart enough not to tax the businesses into oblivion.

Now the focus is on health care. If this tax on cosmetic surgery manages to get passed, I wonder which third word country will emerge as the new center for surgery.

How is the politics of Hope and Change working for you now?
Grandpa Dan

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

DrBermant

Now the focus is on health care. If this tax on cosmetic surgery manages to get passed, I wonder which third word country will emerge as the new center for surgery.

Although we had many patients from that state before, when the New Jersey Cosmetic Surgery tax started, we saw an increase in patients from NJ.

Unfortunately it is not Democrats vs. Republicans. The problem is with bureaucrats and politicians.  They have been making a mess of medicine for many years now. The pace of their destruction of the quality of health care extends now for decades.  The pace has been accelerating.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Plastic Surgery

DrBermant

THE UNITED STATES SENATE HAS A PLAN PENDING TO REFORM HEALTH CARE.  THE PLAN INCLUDES A 5% TAX ON COSMETIC MEDICAL PROCEDURES.  THIS TAX DISCRIMINATES AGAINST YOUR PATIENTS, WOMEN, AND THE MIDDLE CLASS.   THE STATE EXPERIENCE HAS DEMONSTRATED THAT IT IS A FAILED POLICY, ONE THAT WILL NOT RESULT IN THE PROJECTED REVENUE.  CONGRESS NEEDS TO HEAR FROM YOU AND YOUR PATIENTS.  PLEASE SHARE THE TALKING POINTS BELOW WITH YOUR PATIENTS, SO THEY MAY ALSO TAKE ACTION.  CONGRESS IS STATING THAT THEY ARE NOT HEARING ANY OPPOSITION TO THE COSMETIC TAX; MAKE SURE YOUR VOICE AND THE VOICE OF YOUR PATIENTS IS HEARD TODAY!

HEALTHCARE PLAN IN THE SENATE TODAY WILL UNFAIRLY DISCRIMINATE AGAINST YOU!
 Perhaps you've heard of the current healthcare bill before the US Senate, Page 2045 Sec. 9017, Excise Tax on Elective Cosmetic Medical Procedures included in the "Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. This section institutes a tax on all cosmetic procedures as partial payment for the healthcare overhaul our current administration is attempting to implement.
 So what's the problem?  YOU would be paying this tax, the FIRST time this country has levied a tax on patients for medical procedures.   What's at stake?
  • This is a discriminatory  tax.  86% of cosmetic surgery patients are working women.
  • This is a discriminatory  tax.  Most Gynecomastia Surgery is considered cosmetic by insurance companies.
  • This will not have considerable consequences on the wealthiest patients but, as usual, affects the middle class. ASPS, found that 71% of plastic surgeries were for individuals making less than $60,000 a year.   Working women and scores of others who carefully save and budget to improve their appearance and self esteem will be penalized for doing so.  The tax clearly violates the President's pledge to only tax persons making over $250,000 a year.
  • The tax compromises patient safety. The provision is limited to procedures performed "by a licensed medical professional" -- establishing a tax loophole to avoid paying the tax by seeking elective cosmetic and medical procedures from non-medical personnel at salons, spas and other locations.
  • Procedures such as breast reduction that have been cited in the literature for improving self esteem and quality of life would be taxed as well.
  • Your doctor as tax collector: This provision places physicians in the role of tax collector and holds physicians liable should an individual fail or refuse to pay the tax.  Is that the relationship you want with your medical provider?

What you can do: Take action today and tell your Representatives that medical care should not be used as a tool to fix broken finances. Contact your Members of Congress and request that they oppose a cosmetic tax.

Call your Members of Congress in their Washington, DC and District offices.  Please call your Members of Congress in both their Washington, D.C. offices and district offices.  Call early and call often. The U.S. Capitol switchboard is 202-225-3121 where you can be connected to your Members of Congress.  NOTE: You must know the name of your Member of Congress prior to calling the switchboard; they will not be able to tell you who your Member of Congress is. If are not certain who your Senator is, go to http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm and scroll by state.  You can also determine the name of your Representative by going to www.house.gov and enter your zip code in the top left hand corner.

Michael Bermant, M.D.

DrBermant

ASPS has launched a hotline for our members and their patients to contact their Senators on the 5% cosmetic tax.  Senators say they are not hearing from you and your patients.  ASPS has spoken publicly against the addition of this tax and relayed many arguments against it to Congress and the press.  We urge you to do the same!  Now that debate has begun, reaching out to your Senators is more vital than ever.  

Once you have reviewed the talking points, use the toll-free hotline at 1-877-221-8207 and urge your Senators to block this tax.  Once you call in, you will be prompted to enter your zip code.  You will then be connected to your Senators.  Thank you for your efforts!

Michael Bermant, M.D.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 04:45:18 PM by web_admin »

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
you know it's interesting, i plan to call, but i think one of the problems is when you call politicians' offices they often want to take down a bunch of personal information about you (though i think it's also possible to decline to give it).  and that's the difficulty, the gyne cases for example are often the ones least interested in identifying themselves openly.  i wonder if the asps people have taken that into account, i hope they at least point that out, that the patient base is often the kind of people least likely to speak out even on their own behalf.  

i at least intend to say something, thanks for the info.  
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 12:50:32 AM by headheldhigh01 »

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
As of right now, the proposed cosmetic tax has been removed from the final version of the health plan bill.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Steveodell

As of right now, the proposed cosmetic tax has been removed from the final version of the health plan bill.

Dr Jacobs

Did that tax on cosmetic surgery every to though. Its horrifying how these people think. I know of teenagers who are working 2 jobs and school to save up for enough money to get their gynecomastia surgery. Why would they want to discourage that! Many people have real deformities which cause great embarrassment and hardship of people who will spend their life savings to get corrected.

What a slap in the face.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
For the present, the tax is not included in the health care bill.

Dr Jacobs

Offline emanresu

• Silver Member
For the present, the tax is not included in the health care bill.

Dr Jacobs
So this is effectively no longer a threat?

I wouldn't be surprised if such a tax were to have become a reality. The U.S. government is becoming increasingly strapped for cash, what with the national debt now being over 14 trillion. Expect all sorts of weird and wonderful taxes to emerge from the pipeline in the coming years.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024