Author Topic: Gyno?  (Read 2853 times)

Offline Cadet

Hi all,
A little Background:  As far back as I can remember, probably when I was around 12 or 13, I have had puffy nipples.  But I had a bit of bodyfat back then and I assumed that was the reason.  When I got into college, I began to work out seriously and have cut back alot on the fat (still have some though).  I still have puffy nipples though, and still assumed I just have fat to lose until I read about this condition.  I think I may be overreating but I guess I would still like to know.
Being 19 I still am a little young for surgery but wanted some opinions to see what direction I should head in for this (more weight loss vs potential surgery) 

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m241/sniperm82/Medical/2009-12-26005455.jpg?t=1261807813
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m241/sniperm82/Medical/2009-12-26005806.jpg?t=1261807876
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m241/sniperm82/Medical/2009-12-26005710.jpg?t=1261807898

Thank you!

DrBermant

Hi all,
A little Background:  As far back as I can remember, probably when I was around 12 or 13, I have had puffy nipples.  But I had a bit of bodyfat back then and I assumed that was the reason.  When I got into college, I began to work out seriously and have cut back alot on the fat (still have some though).  I still have puffy nipples though, and still assumed I just have fat to lose until I read about this condition.  I think I may be overreating but I guess I would still like to know.
Being 19 I still am a little young for surgery but wanted some opinions to see what direction I should head in for this (more weight loss vs potential surgery) 

Thank you!

It does not take much to distort a male chest. Puffy Nipple Gynecomastia is a subtle form of this contour issue.  Weight loss can help with a fat component, but will not manage residual gland. 

19 is not too young for surgery.  How Old Before Gynecomastia Surgery is a common question. It is more of an issue of how long the gynecomastia has been there. What has not resolved by 2 years usually does not. Making a 13 year old wait years before surgery is cruel if there are emotional issues. You can see many examples of much young patients and Teenagers with Gynecomastia Before and After Surgery here.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It appears that you have a small amount of tissue directly beneath the areolas.  In my opinion, the only way to deal with this problem is through surgery.  No amount of dieting or exercise will change the situation.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline johnny125

• Posting Member
I don't think you have a big problem, and I wouldn't undergo surgery for it. I'd diet and work out.

DrBermant

I don't think you have a big problem, and I wouldn't undergo surgery for it. I'd diet and work out.

Sorry dieting may help with fat, but not with the gland component.  Actually dieting tends to unmask residual gland for puffy nipple gynecomastia.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline Cadet

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses!  I have an upcoming physical, so I will bring it up to my Doctor then. I hope he can provide insightful information as well since it is difficult to assess a true solution from a picture alone.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 02:36:47 AM by Cadet »

Offline decimal

• Silver Member
I agree with Doctor Bermant and Dr Jacobs.

You definitely have a gland beneath the nipples that is pushing them out like that. In fact this was exactly how my gyne had started when I was 12 yrs old - puffy nipples.  Unfortunately for me, my gland only grew larger as time passed and eventually led to a sagging chest.

DrBermant

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses!  I have an upcoming physical, so I will bring it up to my Doctor then. I hope he can provide insightful information as well since it is difficult to assess a true solution from a picture alone.

Standard Gynecomastia Pictures can be used to evaluate contour issues of the male chest.  That is a technique I evolved many years ago to help patients minimize travel to Virginia.

Clinical Male Breast Examination is not a reliable tool to determine fat vs. gland. While fat tends to be soft and gland firm, fat can be firm and gland soft. As you can see in these Anatomy of Puffy Nipple Gynecomastia Drawings, there are usually fingers of fat that run through fingers of gland.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024