Author Topic: Time To Find A Surgeon  (Read 4799 times)

Offline readytoendit

• Posting Member
After finding out that this was an actual medical condition only a few months ago and reading up about it, I decided that I want it done. So I had the difficult talk with my father last night and he didn't know what I was talking about and said I look fine. Typical parent reaction. After explaining the condition to him and talking about how many years it has caused me to constantly feel uncomfortable he understood. He was actually quiet upset that I had mentioned it to him earlier, but like I said, I only found out about the condition recently.

Anyways, he supports it 100% and said that he'll even pay for it if it comes down to it. Glad to find out that he supports it!

I've got to find a reputable surgeon now. All the board certified plastic surgeons in my area do not list gyne surgery on their website, only female breast reduction. Would booking a consultation with one of them be a waste of time? I thought maybe if nothing else they could refer me to someone who has experience in the area.

I'm going to keep researching and am not going to rush it although that will be hard. Knowing that there is a remedy out there makes me want to have it done as soon as possible. 

For those who have not seen my case, here is a pic - http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/356/photo49q.jpg

DrBermant

After finding out that this was an actual medical condition only a few months ago and reading up about it, I decided that I want it done. So I had the difficult talk with my father last night and he didn't know what I was talking about and said I look fine. Typical parent reaction. After explaining the condition to him and talking about how many years it has caused me to constantly feel uncomfortable he understood. He was actually quiet upset that I had mentioned it to him earlier, but like I said, I only found out about the condition recently.

Anyways, he supports it 100% and said that he'll even pay for it if it comes down to it. Glad to find out that he supports it!

I've got to find a reputable surgeon now. All the board certified plastic surgeons in my area do not list gyne surgery on their website, only female breast reduction. Would booking a consultation with one of them be a waste of time? I thought maybe if nothing else they could refer me to someone who has experience in the area.

I'm going to keep researching and am not going to rush it although that will be hard. Knowing that there is a remedy out there makes me want to have it done as soon as possible. 

For those who have not seen my case, here is a pic - http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/356/photo49q.jpg

Female Breast Reduction is a different set of surgical skills than from male chest sculpture. Different surgeons have different skills and techniques. Before and after pictures / movies are a testament to that surgeon's sculpture and areas of expertise. Each doctor chooses what they want to show the public about what they offer. Some will perform surgery that is not listed on their website.

Here is a topic I posted on How to Pick a Gynecomastia Surgeon:

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=16474.0

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline readytoendit

• Posting Member
Very informative topic. It just seems like there are little surgeons in my area that do the procedure, and I'm not financially able to travel cross country to some of the experts in the area that post on this board.

I have found a few people that seem worth scheduling a consultation with. Here's one - http://www.littlerockcosmeticsurgery.com/drbranman.html

He offers free initial consultations, which is definitely a plus.

Offline readytoendit

• Posting Member
If someone could check that doctor's info out and see what they think about him, that would be awesome.

Offline Unidentified

• Posting Member
let me give you some advice. Dont pick a surgeon who have never performed gyne surgery (on a man) before. Do you wanna be their guinea pig? I'm 26 y/o. and i looked similar to your pics. I traveled to dr jacobs last week for surgery and I'm very happy with the outcome. You need to pick a Dr. who does this on a regular basis. That might mean that you need to save up a few more bucks for a flight and hotel, but it will be worth it. Many times you don't even need to travel for a consultation. You can email your pics to them and do an online consultation. Look around. Good luck

Offline readytoendit

• Posting Member
I now understand that I need to find a surgeon with experience. I found a place that was on a list of reputable gyne surgeons in America that I plan on contacting soon.

http://www.memphisplasticsurgery.com/cosmetic.html

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Readytoendit,

Read doctors' credentials very carefully.  I looked at the website of the "cosmetic surgeon" in Little Rock.  It doesn't mention anywhere that he is a plastic surgeon or that he trained in plastic surgery.  He is certified by the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery.  That board is NOT recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties.  It states on his website that he completed his residency at Vanderbilt, but it doesn't even state what specialty the residency training was in.  Was it Ear, Nose, and Throat?  Was it Dermatology?  Why doesn't he say?

Click on the link below to see a list of the legitimate boards recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties.

http://www.abms.org/About_ABMS/member_boards.aspx

Good luck-
Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline readytoendit

• Posting Member
Thanks, I'm new to this medical research and have a lot to learn. I'll read that link you posted. What do you think about the other link I posted for the plastic surgery center in Memphis?

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
All docs in the Memphis group are board-certified plastic surgeons.  That's what you look for.   :)

Dr. Pope, M.D.

Offline readytoendit

• Posting Member
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. They seem very reputable as I've read a lot of web articles about them.

I looked through their list of surgeons and only found one who has the gyne procedure listed in their info - http://www.memphisplasticsurgery.com/tavin.html

It says that he has an "interest" in male breast reduction, but doesn't go on to say anything else on the subject. I'm currently exchanging emails with him to get a better idea of if I want to consult with him or not.

Dang, this waiting is killing me. I want to get it done tomorrow, haha.

Offline dondante

• Gold Member
I linked to this thread from your considering surgery thread. First off, congrats on taking the plunge - your pic reminded me alot of how I looked before I had my surgery.

A little piece of advice, echoing what others have been hinting to you here.. If you can, go with a surgeon who is written about or who actively writes on these boards - you really want to make sure you use someone who has done this procedure many many times and on a regular basis.

Best of luck, a good surgeon can really change your life :)

Offline readytoendit

• Posting Member
Thanks for the advice, do you have any before and after pictures of yourself?

I would love to use a doctor that posts on this board but they are across the country from me. My dad completely supports me getting surgery and paying for it, but I don't see him being willing to fly anywhere to get it done. Neither of us have ever flown before.

Regarding the doctor I linked to in my last post, I got an email from him saying that he has performed about 50 gyne surgeries and has before and after photos in his office. 50 isn't a lot, but at least it's some experience. I think I will consult with him soon, look at the photos and just discuss the topical in general and my case, and then see how I feel about him after that.

Hopefully it goes well and then I can consider surgery with him. I'd love to get this done ASAP so I can be on the road to recovery and a happy life!

Offline readytoendit

• Posting Member
Bump.

I'm going to schedule a consultation with the last doctor I linked within the next few weeks. Hopefully it won't be a waste.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024