Author Topic: I Need Your Opinions: Gyno vs. Fat  (Read 3055 times)

Offline Conscious1

Hello all,

I'm glad I'm able to come to a community where there are people who share the same problems as me. For most of my life, I can remember having "boobs" and going through some HORRIBLE humiliation by friends, family members, and others. I remember growing up people would tell me things like, "You need a bra" or "You need a girdle" and I remember this girl telling me in middle school, "Damn, your boobs are bigger than mine." Although I used to be overweight and lost a lot of weight, it was very hard to see any results in the chest area.

I remember growing up, when I'd get in the pool...ALL the kids would stop and stare at me and point. I stopped taking my shirt off when I went to the pool or beach. Even to this day, I am VERY hesitant to take my shirt off. F

People tell me surgery is not the way and that I should lift weights. I tried lifting weights and working out but it didn't help.

It causes me to get very depressed, especially when I see other people's bodies. I know that no matter how hard I work out, there's not much I can do to downsize my "boobs"

Any opinions???

http://img180.imageshack.us/i/img1448l.jpg/

http://img819.imageshack.us/i/img1449s.jpg/

http://img34.imageshack.us/i/img1454qr.jpg/

http://img34.imageshack.us/i/img1454qr.jpg/

Offline alphajc

• Posting Member
That would be gynecomastia sir.  It cannot be cured through through weight loss alone...besides you are not overweight.

Surgery is the only cure.  Do it sooner than later, no need to go through the distraught for any longer.  Go see a good plastic surgeon, shell out $4000-7000 and be cured.

Offline Conscious1

lol, well when I'm done with law school in three years, maybe I'll consider...I'm sure my income will be MUCH better then.

DrBermant

Hello all,

I'm glad I'm able to come to a community where there are people who share the same problems as me. For most of my life, I can remember having "boobs" and going through some HORRIBLE humiliation by friends, family members, and others. I remember growing up people would tell me things like, "You need a bra" or "You need a girdle" and I remember this girl telling me in middle school, "Damn, your boobs are bigger than mine." Although I used to be overweight and lost a lot of weight, it was very hard to see any results in the chest area.

I remember growing up, when I'd get in the pool...ALL the kids would stop and stare at me and point. I stopped taking my shirt off when I went to the pool or beach. Even to this day, I am VERY hesitant to take my shirt off. F

People tell me surgery is not the way and that I should lift weights. I tried lifting weights and working out but it didn't help.

It causes me to get very depressed, especially when I see other people's bodies. I know that no matter how hard I work out, there's not much I can do to downsize my "boobs"

Any opinions???

There is often a great deal of Emotion Living with Gynecomastia, you are not alone in your concerns.

Gyno or gynecomastia is a contour problem and consists of gland, fat, and skin in all cases. Check out the Anatomy of Gynecomastia to see what I mean.  Galen coined the term gynecomastia. Although he was aware of the gland component, he was talking about the fat version. So having "gyno" does not mean that the problem is only gland. All men will have gland. Even extremely thin marathon runners will have a fat component of that contour.  Weight loss can help with the fat component.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far. Unfortunately, you cannot pick where fat comes off from. Male Body Fat tends to go on the chest, love handles, and stomach first. We take if off those regions last. Weight Loss Can Help with the Fat of Gynecomastia, gland, residual fat, and skin will remain behind.

I work with many Bodybuilders with Gynecomastia. They often complain as they build muscle, what sits on top of the muscle, just gets pushed further out.  However, building muscle is one way to fill a loose skin component after massive weight loss.

Ideal sequence that I recommend my patients:

• Get to a weight you are comfortable living with.
  • Let the skin adjust as much as it will. It can take from 6 to 18 months for skin equilibration after a gastric bypass and major weight loss.
  • After Massive Weight Loss, Consider Tightening Lower Tissues First. There is little sense to lift the chest and then have a tummy tuck, lower the chest result, requiring a revision chest lift.
  • Then Address the Chest.
  • Use No Surgery Body Shaping Garments as emotional support not to rush the process.

Bouncing redundant flesh also can be a major emotional factor stressing any patient trying to lose weight.  That is why I posted Videos of Compression Garments dealing with gynecomastia and stabilization.

The remaining fat and sagging can be stressful for a work in progress, being patient, finishing off the weight loss first is a better option.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Bobby - LAgyne

• Gold Member
it IS hard when a girls tells you that. I've heard the same from girls too  :'(
it seems you are carrying a few extra pound of fat by looking at your abdominal area. while waiting to finish the school and have the surgery, you can benefit from loosing fat by doing cardio (not "lifting weight") and watching what you eat.
good luck!

Offline Conscious1

^^Thanks. I took those pictures about a month and a half ago and I've been exercising and have lost about 13 pounds so far ;-)  I'm sure things will work out for the best.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. When I bring up the issue, people will say, "Oh, you look fine. They don't look bad." But I totally feel like they are just being nice.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024