Author Topic: What is the appropriate weight for surgery  (Read 4402 times)

Offline gyne_22

• Posting Member
I am 195 pounds, used to be 280, height is 5'06 and I have a sever case of gynecomastia. I really want to get surgery and I know I still need to lose more weight but what is the best weight for you to be approve for surgery? Can fat people still continue with surgery?

Offline Swarley

• Bronze Member
I think I saw a thread on here where someone recommended getting to whatever weight / shape you feel comfortable with. I think that's good advice for anyone!

However I believe it would be best to have a consultation with whatever surgeon you choose, and find out if he / she will want you to slim down a bit before surgery.

I had my consultation last week, and most of the photos I was shown were of guys fatter than me - so I was comfortable that I didn't need to loose any more weight in order to have surgery.

Surgery with Alex Karidis 8/11/11. Currently recovering.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
This is a good and important question. I tell my patients your weight should be stable prior to surgery. A stable weight will mean different things for each patient.This is something you should discuss in detail in a realistic way with your surgeon.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline gyne_22

• Posting Member
I think I saw a thread on here where someone recommended getting to whatever weight / shape you feel comfortable with. I think that's good advice for anyone!

However I believe it would be best to have a consultation with whatever surgeon you choose, and find out if he / she will want you to slim down a bit before surgery.

I had my consultation last week, and most of the photos I was shown were of guys fatter than me - so I was comfortable that I didn't need to loose any more weight in order to have surgery.

May I ask how much do you weigh? And can you guess how much the others from the photos weigh as well. Thanks!

Offline Swarley

• Bronze Member
Last time I used the scales in the gym was a few weeks ago, but they said then I was 15stone (about 210lbs). I'm 6ft 4.
At my worst, about 2 years ago, I was about 290lbs.

To me, weight is really just a number. It's a good way to track your progress if you're trying to slim down (although personally I found my body fat percentage was a better indicator), but at the end of the day it's how I look and feel that's important to me.
for example, Arnold Schwarzenegger's competition weight was about 230lbs. When I got to 230lbs, I didn't look anything like him...

So, I couldn't say how much the guys in the photos weigh. It's difficult to judge that sort of thing from a photo when you can't tell how tall the person is etc. What I was looking at was the shapes and proportions, and trying to gauge if those guys were carrying more or less fat on their frames than I am on mine.

My point is that if you want to loose some fat, or gain some muscle, then go for it!
Get to a place where you feel comfortable, and don't worry so much about the number on the scales.

If you're considering surgery, then as far as I can tell, different surgeons have different techniques (and different names) for gyne corrective surgery, and so it really depends on whether the surgeon feels you are a suitable candidate for their technique. So to echo DrPensler's comment, it's something you should discuss with your surgeon.

Hope this helps.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024