Author Topic: New here...  (Read 1666 times)

Offline MattyRoland83

Hey guys,

Im new here.  Ive suffered from what I believe is gynecomastia since I was in puberty.  Im 28 now.  I recently made an appointment with a surgeon so I can finally have this taken care of.  Has anyone on here had a severe case of this and also had surgery to correct it?  Thanks, I appreciate it. 

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Welcome to the forum.  You are among brothers.

Here you will find lots of answers to all your questions and concerns -- and sympathy as well.

Yes, you do have gyne and a good surgeon should be able to help you considerably.  Look for a plastic surgeon in your area who has considerable interest and demonstrated expertise in this type of surgery.

Best of luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

hammer

Yes, you do have it and surgery will take care of it! Your case is very noticeable compared to many others that I see ask the same question.

You are among brothers here with a verity of degrees of gyne. From very extreme to very little, but all very understanding.

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
Welcome!  This site has a wealth of knowledge, experience ans support for all of us who have suffered from the effects of gynecomastia over the years.  Whether you end up going through with the surgery, or not, there are many people here to help you with anything you may want to ask.  Good luck with your consultation!!
Shakenbake baby, SHAKE N BAKE!!  Ya, that just happened.

Offline Bob_Bobby

• Posting Member
Hi welcome to the site. I'm fairly new here myself and was treated very well when I first joined so you're in a good place.

I suffered from gyne almost since puberty and it was very similar to what you have though after going on a severe diet (mostly caused through the discovery of a food intolerance) I wasn't as 'full' in the chest but the shape was similar. It took nearly two years of fighting with the NHS (Im in the UK) in order for me to be taken seriously so if you're here too, just be ready for that if you don't opt for the private route. I simply couldn't afford to go private so went with the NHS which handled things very well and after two months, I'm still a bit swollen and sore occasionally but the difference if phenomenal! I initially only had lipo with the possibility of excess skin removal at a later date if need be (which I may need though that's for a different thread...) which isn't the ideal route as many recommend having the lipo and excision op in one go. But a two stage process was what my surgeon wantd to do and since he was my only option I went with it. And so far it's fantastic. I can wear t-shirts again without standing in the mirror for hours trying to hide my gyno. I can fit into clothes that I had to chuck at the back of my wardrobe because I became so depressed seeing myself in them and most of all I actually have some confidence in the way I look. Not much mind you but that's just how I am!

What I'm trying to say in a very long winded way is like what the others are saying;  your situation is 100% treatable. I thought I'd give a little extra detail since yours is similar to how mine was. I hope you can get it sorted and don't give up or lose hope. You can rid yourself of the gyno and when you do, it'll be the best feeling ever. Good luck!

Offline MattyRoland83

Hi guys,

Thanks for the words of encouragement, I appreciate it.  I initially saw a surgeon when I was 19 about the issue and he told me to lose weight and the problem would subside.  At the time, I weighed 190lbs and Im 6ft.  I started working out and lost 25 lbs, and Ive been at a constant 174-175lbs for almost 10 years now and the problem never went away.  Its been very hard to live the life that I want to live.  Im the guy that wears a sweater or hoodie in the middle of summer and refuses to go to the beach, or water park, or really any place that this might be noticed.  I think its a real shame that insurance companies look at this as cosmetic, because the emotional impact is a lot more than that.  Im excited that I am finally going to do something about it and Ill keep you all posted on my progress.  Here is to a flatter chest and doing away with these hairy mouthfuls!  :)

hammer

We have all been there, until surgery or acceptance! Please help are problem get noticed and understanding and send a e-mail to the Dr. Oz show! You have been there as everyone else on this forum! We need to get understanding and insurance coverage for surgeries.

You can find the info under "letters to Dr.Oz" or "Wouldn't it be nice" in gynecomastic talk. Please take the time to help.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024