Author Topic: Confused: liposuction alone?  (Read 1955 times)

Offline neon_cascade

• Posting Member
Hi, I am 22 years old, 5'6'' and weigh about 61 kgs. I  have gynecomastia since I was 13. I am not overweight, and the nipples are puffy when warm so I think the gyne might be due to excess gland + fat. However, when I consulted a reputed plastic surgeon recently he felt it and said it was just fatty tissue and would go away with liposuction. When I asked him about excision he said there was no excess breast tissue. I am not really sure about this. Please help if you can! Thanks.
(P.S. the nipples are slightly erect in the photos)

jimmyC

Cant really be sure but you should probably find a surgeon who is willing to do both lipo and excision if necessary

Offline tpuk

• Silver Member
My personal preference was to make sure gland removal & lipo was done.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
In virtually any case of gyne, both lipo and gland excision are needed.  Your surgeon should be ready and capable of doing both when he starts the surgery.  If he starts talking about doing lipo only and then evaluating to do excision at another operation, run away and find a better surgeon!  There is no reason for you to have two operations if it can be conveniently and safely done in one procedure by virtually any experienced gyne surgeon.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline gemidude

• Bronze Member
OMG I had this same problem before. A board certified plastic surgeon examined me and said I only needed liposuction. So instead I went to one of those cosmetic doctors, (not plastic surgeons), who do smartlipo. After smartlipo alone, I ended up measuring bigger than before the liposuction. If a plastic surgeon is telling you need only liposuction, run away! They are probably not experienced in gynecomastia surgery.

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
I have to agree.  It is seldom that one does NOT need gland excision.  Young men, particularly those with puffy nipples when warm, have gland tissue.  Keep looking until you find a plastic surgeon experienced with gyne surgery who will remove your gland tissue.

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline neon_cascade

• Posting Member
Thank you for your responses docs! Really appreciated.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024