Author Topic: Does it look like gynecomastia or am I just fat?  (Read 4448 times)

Offline Ronaldraygun

Offline LWS

• Posting Member
Hard to tell, a higher BMI conceals it a bit. From the appearance of your nipple I would assume there is breast tissue underneath. Can you feel a lump underneath the nipple? If so then its likely gyne.

Offline Ronaldraygun

There's no real noticeable hard lump underneath. So getting my body fat % down will be a good starting point? Any guess on what my current body fat % is?

Offline Ronaldraygun

Hey guys any input is really appreciated

Offline LWS

• Posting Member
There are some BMI calculators online, height, weight and a few measurements of different body zones.

Losing weight, or converting body fat to muscle mass is a great thing for anyone to do, even if you have gyne, or don't have gyne.

Offline Ronaldraygun

Sweet thanks:), is it just to hard to tell I I have gyne? Because of my bmi?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Is it gyne?  In my opinion, yes -- any excess tissue on a male chest could be considered gyne.

You are overweight and therefore you have excess fat on your chest.  The problem with being overweight is that, through a complex process, excess fat on your body creates more estrogen, which in turn stimulates the growth of breast tissue.  Therefore, it can be reasonably stated that you do have some amount of breast tissue as well as fat.

Should you lose the weight through diet and exercise, your body and your breasts will undoubtedly diminish in size.  Unfortunately, once there is breast tissue established (by being overweight), that tissue will not disappear when the weight is lost.  That is why many guys who have lost weight complain that their breasts are still there.

It is a fool's errand to try to self-examine your breasts to determine if or how much breast tissue you have.  To be truthful, a lay person's hands would have great difficulty in determining what type of tissue is present.  Add to that is the fact that some fat tissue can feel firm and some breast tissue can feel soft. 

Therefore, don't waste your time and energy trying to figure out what you have -- deep in your heart, you probably know already.  Your first step should be to lose the weight and then, when you are at your best and most stable weight, evaluate yourself and see whether you can live with what you have or whether you wish to consult with a gyne surgeon for an opinion.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024