Author Topic: Video Emotions and Stress of Gynecomastia, Details  (Read 15233 times)

DrBermant

In response to the many requests for new resources for those trying to show others what it is like living with gynecomastia, I have added a new resource.  Many have told me that they had difficulty telling others what it was like having male breasts.  Here is a new tool.

I have just uploaded a new video of a patient discussing the stress and emotions dealing with gynecomastia and the relief after surgery.  Posting words has value, but this discussion by my patient is very intense.  The 8 minute 40 second video with audio (or audio alone clips) are before and after massive gland removal and breast lift (male mastopexy for drooping chest).  I used larger video files because there was such expressiveness in his body language.  For those wanting to use smaller files, there are audio only versions.  QuickTime and Windows Media Video versions are posted.

Here is the link to the new videos.  The after surgery images are only 5 days after surgery and there was much redundant skin.  Details of the operation and before / after images will be uploaded later.

Any comments, feedback, and or any problems with hearing or seeing the video / audio would be appreciated.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

The video and audio files have been updated to 11 days after surgery to now have 13 minutes 14 seconds of details.

Here is the link to the new videos.

Emotions of those with gynecomastia are important.  The expressiveness of listening and viewing is just more powerful than just reading words.  I plan to expand the material once I learn if the format is working well.  This is something my patients have been asking for to help deal with parents, wives, friends who just do not understand.

I am still looking for feedback about being able to view or not view the material.  Presenting video audio information across multiple platforms can be difficult at best.  Longer video can take time to download over slower connections, that is why audio only versions are posted.  If there are any problems, please state what computer, operating system, media software version and other details that will help make this better for the public.

Thank you for any help,

Michael Bermant, MD
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 01:37:49 PM by DrBermant »

Offline hypo

I think this is so helpful to people in showing that they are not alone and that their feelings are typical;

This should be stickied on the site, at least for a while.

Can that be done?

« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 02:57:19 AM by hypo »

Offline allbah

• Bronze Member
Dr. bermant, please if the patient and you dont mind keep updating us with this paient. I and probably many others have similar situation and it will be helpful for us to compaire our results with his.
thanks
one can never prepare to win a war, but one can prepare not to be defeated.

DrBermant

Thank you for your comments.  Is anyone having difficulty viewing videos or hearing audio files?  Feedback appreciated about format and new site navigation for video section.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

Offline Pferdestärken

• Silver Member
  • Fixed 03/06/05 by the incredible Mr Paul Levick!
    • My Diary
Thanks for posting the video. It does make it easier to help get others to understand why you feel you need to do something about gyne. I think it strikes so many chords with people who have the condition. When in the psot op section the gut says "I still keep doing this" I didn't know whether to laugh or cry - I still find myself doing exactly that!

I couldn't get the quicktime version to work, it needed an MPEG-4 plugin which I don't have and couldn't find on the Quicktime link supplied. The Windows Media file worked ok though.

Size is an issue. I have a Dell laptop with 1900x1200 resolution so your video is tiny. Even on a secondary monitor at 1280x1024 it is small. The full screen display is very blurred, so there is no happy medium. I have broadband (2mb) so no problems with speed - larger and better quality would be good though!
Pics | Op 3/6/05 Mr Paul Levick

DrBermant

Thanks for posting the video. It does make it easier to help get others to understand why you feel you need to do something about gyne. I think it strikes so many chords with people who have the condition. When in the psot op section the gut says "I still keep doing this" I didn't know whether to laugh or cry - I still find myself doing exactly that!

I couldn't get the quicktime version to work, it needed an MPEG-4 plugin which I don't have and couldn't find on the Quicktime link supplied. The Windows Media file worked ok though.

Size is an issue. I have a Dell laptop with 1900x1200 resolution so your video is tiny. Even on a secondary monitor at 1280x1024 it is small. The full screen display is very blurred, so there is no happy medium. I have broadband (2mb) so no problems with speed - larger and better quality would be good though!

Thank you for your comments.

You would need a newer version of Quicktime to view / hear the images.  On my machines they seem to work with QuickTime version 6 or later, but you are better off with QuickTime 7.  As of this posting, that is still beta software for the Windows operating system.

That video featured the emotion of the patient and the images were mainly for emphasis.  I kept the image size small for file size.  Not all viewers have fast connections.

Here you can see an off topic example of 3 different size videos I have been using for my Tumescent Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty.  For those files I was just featuring the video without the audio, but motion was the most important issue.  In these videos how the patient looked and moved before and after surgery.  Looking for the video and or audio icons on the tummy tuck section will show other examples.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 02:47:01 PM by DrBermant »

DrBermant

As requested, I have posted the Before and After Pictures for the patient in the video.  

This was a Short Scar Internal Male Mastopexy Breast Lift for a patient with Breast Ptosis or Drooping Breasts.  This short scar lift has been a very powerful tool for those men with sagging chests with some loose skin.

The skin is very early in its shrinkage after surgery at only 11 days after surgery.  The patient has said his skin has tightened nicely since then.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 03:03:39 PM by DrBermant »

Offline fromfar

• Posting Member
Hi Dr. Bermant,
Thank you very much for the photos that you have posted.
From the " The Short Scar Internal Male Mastopexy Breast Lift / Reduction  " side I noticed that the patient had big areola. After 6 months, the picture of the areola  is small. Was there any areola size reduction been performed during surgery, or the areola naturally shrunk.

Besides that, some ppl who go through the surgery procedure complain that the areola/nipple is still puffy due to scar tissue. What is the cause of this scar tissue. What should be done to avoid/reduce/eliminate the scar tissue?

DrBermant

Hi Dr. Bermant,
Thank you very much for the photos that you have posted.
From the " The Short Scar Internal Male Mastopexy Breast Lift / Reduction  " side I noticed that the patient had big areola. After 6 months, the picture of the areola  is small. Was there any areola size reduction been performed during surgery, or the areola naturally shrunk.

Besides that, some ppl who go through the surgery procedure complain that the areola/nipple is still puffy due to scar tissue. What is the cause of this scar tissue. What should be done to avoid/reduce/eliminate the scar tissue?

No areola reduction was done on these patients.  Shrinkage of areola diameter can happen when the mass behind the skin is reduced.  You can see many such examples in my Areola / Nipple Reduction Picture Gallery and the additional photographs here, and here.

My patients do not typically complain about "puffy nipples" after surgery.  Such issues depend on the original problem, surgical technique, skill of the surgeon, healing, education, reasonable expectations, and other factors.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 04:57:52 AM by DrBermant »

DrBermant

THanks for the links!  I'm very interested in all of these questions and more, as my PS said that I'd need to have skin excised for my droopy chest, as well, but whereas I really don't care about another scar, I find it fascinating that you can remove skin and have no visible scar to show for it!  EVERY surgery I've had has left a scar, and quite visible ones, too.  

Are your results so successful because these individuals are not prone to huge scarring (like my pics below for my pectoral excavatis and mediastenoscopy surgeries)?  Or is this result typical of all excission patients (he said hopefully)?

At least, I didn't see a very visible scar in your patients' pictures...Do you have any closeups of the postop procedure sites where you have excised skin?  I mean, *really really* close ups?

Cheers!

aquilius

http://webpages.charter.net/aquilius/gyneco/

I am not removing skin in an internal mastopexy lift.  Some extra skin can tighten on its own with this technique.  For patients with massive folds of extra tissue, skin reduction surgery is an important tool.  Unfortunately such scars just do not look great.  My patients who need male chest skin reduction surgery tell me the contour improvement is what counts, not the scars left with the skin excision.  For patients with significant scars from other surgery, male chest sculpture can often incorporate these scars as part of the surgery.  Such issues are better discussed with your doctor or during an evaluation.

I have been able to offer my internal male mastopey on Black and Hispanic patients, individuals whose ethnic backgrounds put them at a higher risk for scars.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

DrBermant

I have finally posted a case from Australia of gigantic areola complication from another doctor's surgery.  This Revision Areola / Nipple Reduction used a Donut Reduction Technique. I am suplimenting this prior response to show this example.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Thank you for your comments.  Is anyone having difficulty viewing videos or hearing audio files?  Feedback appreciated about format and new site navigation for video section.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

Dr. Bermant....

No difficulties here...  ;)

John.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 02:24:12 PM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline 6655321

• Posting Member
When in the psot op section the gut says "I still keep doing this" I didn't know whether to laugh or cry - I still find myself doing exactly that!

That's exactly what I thought when I saw that part.  I haven't gotten surgery yet though.

DrBermant

Dr. Bermant....

No difficulties here...  ;)

John.

Thank you.  Anyone else have issues seeing / hearing the video?

Michael Bermant, MD

DrBermant

Dr Bermant did a good job.I think the video is very good.

Thank you.

Michael Bermant, MD

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024