Author Topic: Weight loss  (Read 5603 times)

Offline hattingyne

• Posting Member
Anyone on this board lose the gyne, or come close to losing the gyne with weight loss? Im very much concerned about this. Two weeks ago, I weighed 231, and now stand at 215 lbs( Im 20 yrs old , 5'6 inches tall) , following the atkins diet. I know I can get rid of the weight, but will the gyne go away too? My gyne is pubertical, alongside the weight.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Your rate of weight loss bothers me.  After the dramatic weight loss of the first week or two, you should slow to a loss of 3 lbs or less per week. As you near your goal weight this will taper off to a loss of only a pound or two a month.  Do not allow yourself to become discouraged as your rate of loss slows.

With respect to the effect upon gynecomastia, The change will probably not be great unless you lose a lot of weight. Even then it will probably not completely go away. The breast area is a perfectly normal place for the body to store fat which can be distressful to many of us.

Another issue is the elasticity of your skin. Obviously the skin was stretched to fit over the extra fat.  Now you are asking the skin to shrink back and in effect pretend that you were never obese.  The skin will likely shrink some, but how much is almost impossible to predict.  Your youth will help here, an older person would not do as well.

In the fat cells, Testosterone is converted to Estrogen, So fat reduction will produce a lowered estrogen level and the hormonal support for the glandular part of the breast tissue will diminish. This should help allow the glandular tissue to slowly degrade.  The key word being slowly.

Weight loss alone will not get rid of gynecomastia, But it will allow the breasts to degrade somewhat and shrink slightly. It is most important that you have your hormones checked and that your weight loss and condition should be monitored by a Dr.  

I would doubt if the degree of shrinkage is going to be any where near what you are hoping for and you will probably eventually be seeking the services of a cosmetic surgeon.  Having your weight stabilized in a normal range and having your hormone levels also stable and in a normal range are important things to do prior to consideration of surgery.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 09:50:08 PM by Paa_Paw »
Grandpa Dan

Offline hattingyne

• Posting Member
thank you , that answered a lot of my questions

Offline snugs

• Posting Member
At 5'6" and 231lbs, it doesn't surprise me much that he lost 15 pounds in three weeks. A large part of that was very likely water weight. Also, for someone that overweight the fat will come off easier and faster than the "normal" 1-2lbs/week. I wouldn't be too concerned with the rate at which he's losing weight unless he's still dropping 5 pounds a week after another few weeks.

Weight loss will help the appearance of your gyne. It didn't make mine dissapear: i've still got a large amount of gland and diet and exercise does not fix that. But it does help. Not to mention you'll feel a TON better about yourself even if your chest is still not what you want it to be.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Well said, Thanks for filling in the gaps I left.

DrBermant

Anyone on this board lose the gyne, or come close to losing the gyne with weight loss? Im very much concerned about this. Two weeks ago, I weighed 231, and now stand at 215 lbs( Im 20 yrs old , 5'6 inches tall) , following the atkins diet. I know I can get rid of the weight, but will the gyne go away too? My gyne is pubertical, alongside the weight.

The breast of gynecomastia is typically a combination of gland, fat, and skin.  Losing Weight can make a big impact on the fat and sometimes the skin.  Gland is not reduced with weight loss.

As the skin envelope is no longer filled with fat, Drooping Breasts or Ptosis can happen.  Skin can tighten over time, often several months.  After Massive Weight Loss the skin sometimes just does not tighten enough.  Building muscle is one way of filling a loose skin evelope of the male chest.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline hattingyne

• Posting Member
Thank You everyone . I truly appreciate the advice.

Offline Tired

• Bronze Member
I weighed 130 Kg, had manbreats but figured it was because i was overweight. I dropped to 110 and got alot of muscle too but it is still as worse as it has always been. Im defenatly going in for the operation. I have been loosing weight for 2 years now, has not gotten any better.

Probably different from person to person but i would suggest surgery if you don't see any improvements over a few months of weightloss.

Offline Worrier

• Gold Member
I did pretty well with diet and exercise. Lost around 4 stone. In a year.

It did help my gyno. But it was a big effort and I didn't lose the fat from places I wanted it go first ie my chest and stomach. So it was a bit disconcerting at times. What was odd was my nipples got lighter in colour  and one went completely back to normal. The other stayed a bit puffy :'(. I lost alot of the cone shape too. I did find weight training helped  as well,as it seemed to tighten the chest area up.

I went to see the nhs plastic surgeon a few months ago and she said In her view I didn't need an op. It isn't perfect I still have a slight puffy nip on the right side but sometimes people aren't satisfied after surgery, which I have to bear in mind.I am going to wait a while and see how I feel in a few months. As I do feel a bit more confident about my chest.

I did a  mix of road running circuit training and weight training. And I quite enjoy it now and it has even made me think about a career option. I would say though that every case of gyno is different and some people may not have the results I had.  I got it from weight gain from  medication which seemed to put alot of fat on my chest and also puff the nipples  , rather than puberty. So my gyno wasn't there as long aboout a year before I started to beast myself ;D. I would say though that diet/ exercise is worth a go as I know a few others on this site , it helped although it didn't eliminate the problem.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 01:06:57 AM by Worrier »

Offline moto39

• Posting Member
AH! Atkins Diet <--fad diet, don't go that way, it is not worth it, any diet will not work for long term weightloss. Nutrition and Exercise is my hobby I have three books that I am always reading and I can tell you Atkins will not work, if you want a Healthy weight loss plan go with this, www.absdiet.com although it has the word diet in the title it doesnt mean anything, it is more like a life long healthy eating that will not only help you burn fat but will also speed up metabolism and build lean muscle, wow I should sell this door to door. In the book it will explain how fad diets don't work, it won't have you skipping meals or passing up much needed nutrients for the body it will have you skipping crap like HFCS and Trans Fat, I strongly suggest this book to anybody fat or thin, I am 5'9" 145 pounds with 9% body fat and still find this book to be great.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024