Author Topic: Lumps, not fat?  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Mortal_Shame

A few years ago I developed a slight case of gynecomastia from steroid use.  Due to circumstances beyond my control I all but completely quit lifting weights soon after the symptoms were realized.  Recently, I have returned to the gym and began lifting again without the aid of any steroids.  However, my gynecomastia on one side has increased dramatically.  I will state however, that there is no additional chest fat that I would be worried about.  Its mainly just a LARGE lump behind and slightly to the outside of my nipple.  The other side is basically the same but about half the size.  On the side that I would consider bad there is quite a bit of discomfort associated with the lump.  Not only from embarrassment but also physical discomfort.  A very slight touch creates an odd feeling of extreme minor discomfort but getting it bumped at all causes near extreme pain. 

Obviously I know I should get this checked out but am currently financially restrained.  However, I am becoming a bit nervous that the lump has began to increase in size after returning to the gym.  My question is this.  Should I see a family doctor and go from there or should I see someone else first?  Perhaps skip the family doctor to avoid those costs and go straight to the plastic surgeon once funds have been saved?

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
...  My question is this.  Should I see a family doctor and go from there or should I see someone else first?  Perhaps skip the family doctor to avoid those costs and go straight to the plastic surgeon once funds have been saved?

Yes, but the first doctor you should see is an endocrynologist to check your hormones.  Especially if there's growth happening now you need to find the cause before jumping into plastic surgery. 
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline Hypo-is-here

i would probably skip the endo or ps and go to my primay dr first.  maybe have a mamogram done to make sure it's not breast cancer.  goodluck and get it checked asap ..

An endocrinologist is far more qualified to understand the situation, gps are often next to useless in these situations.  As for breast cancer, breast cancer represents less than 1% of all male cancers and less than 1% of gynecomastia cases.  Given the stated steroid use and the timing of the problem breast cancer is most unlikely.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024