Author Topic: my vest  (Read 5820 times)

Goodlooking

do i have to keep this on untill i take my stitchs out :(

Offline zane949

• Bronze Member
I would most definetly, I have been in a vest 24/7 for the past 6 weeks and it blows big time can't wait to be the hell out of this thing

Goodlooking

Lol your telling me i had myne for 3 days n want to see is urs very tight cos mine is :(
What did you have done?

Offline dave2009

• Bronze Member
hi guys, with your vests....did your surgeon give you nipple cushions too?..by that i mean dressings with a hole in to let the nipple not get any pressure from the vest?

or is it just me?!....

thanks guys.

Goodlooking

Lol no didnt get that you must of got special treatment lol

Offline dave2009

• Bronze Member
LOL.... i wish!!

Offline mike_ire

I would most definetly, I have been in a vest 24/7 for the past 6 weeks and it blows big time can't wait to be the hell out of this thing

6 weeks seems much much longer than is necessary, Dr. Karidis in London recommends about 10 days.

Offline sean88

• Posting Member
Hey guys . My surgeon recommended I wear mine for 4 weeks however Im back at uni next week which will be 11 days post op exactly. Do you think I could get away with wearing it only in the evenings and at night? These vests are really impractical for wearing in summer.

Goodlooking

I dunno i really think you should wear it durin uni :p what kind of vest isit?
Did u go private?

Offline sean88

• Posting Member
Its a front zip type vest. The material is fairly comfortable but its thick and its summer here. Its also quite obvious due to adjustable velcro shoulder straps. Do you think I could get away with a tight ace bandage wrapped around?

Goodlooking

yer should b im jus wearin a tight badage n im 9 days op :)

Offline 34andReady

• Posting Member
Hey guys...

So I'm 5 days post-op now and the only thing to really talk about is the vest.  Someone said it right above - it feels like a solid hug.  Obviously the thing is annoying but it's a small price to pay for the results that will inherently change our lives.

My big problem with the vest is the not-showering thing.  I went back to work on Thursday (3 days post-op) feeling fine physically.  By now I REALLY need a shower.  I've done my best to 'wash up' in the sink and hanging over the tub but it's not the same.  I can wash my hair using the shower hose but the rest is difficult.  I've been using wash clothes to wash my body to the extent possible.

I contacted my doctor to confirm his requirements for the vest in the first week.  As expected, he told me not to take it off (not even to shower) until after my 1-week post-op appointment (which is this coming Tuesday). At that point I will be able to take it off to shower every day.

I am also concerned that the vest is starting to stink!  I mean, the thing is jammed right up into my armpits and it's only natural to prespire on it.  I wonder if I can wash it somehow once I can take it off for short periods.  I plan to ask about that on Tuesday.  This vest with be N-A-S-T-Y after 4 weeks.

Offline ddh

• Silver Member
I am 3 weeks Post OP and have one more week in a zip up compression vest, per my PS' instructions.

He gave me two of the vests, so I can wash one while wearing the other.

I think constant compression is the key to recovery. My PS had me wear foam padding with a huge wrap around elastic wrap the first week, and then gave me the zipped compression vests for weeks 2-4.

That said, the first night I wore the zipped compression vest I slept really badly and the vest kinda gave me claustrophobia. I couldn't stay in bed. (Luckily it is winter here. Otherwise, I don't think I could have worn it through the night.)  But after a couple of days I really got use to the vest. Perhaps partially because the swelling continues to go down a bit each day. I've worn to out to restaurants, talking with the neighbors, meetings, etc, I don't think anyone has suspected a thing.

Offline 34andReady

• Posting Member
I am 3 weeks Post OP and have one more week in a zip up compression vest, per my PS' instructions.

He gave me two of the vests, so I can wash one while wearing the other.

That seems about right for me too.  I've been in my vest for 12 days.  I am not minding it at all except for the fact that it gets really sweaty in the pits of it every day.  So now, I am basically hand-washing it in the sink every night.  A quick hand wash and then about 20 minutes on low-heat in the dryer and it's good to go.  That's how I've been able to spend about an hour each night after work without the vest on.  That feels good but at this point I am more comfortable with it on.

Offline 34andReady

• Posting Member
But after a couple of days I really got use to the vest. Perhaps partially because the swelling continues to go down a bit each day. I've worn to out to restaurants, talking with the neighbors, meetings, etc, I don't think anyone has suspected a thing.

I am wearing it to work every day.  Since I wear a shirt and tie, it's not noticeable at all.  Except for Thursday.  I wore a light blue shirt and you could see the bottom of the vest and the shoulder straps through it.  So I had to wear a sweater that day.

Vest or no vest, I am already LOVING my new shape.  No more standing at the right angle and with the right posture in order to conceal my chest.  Now I'm already comfortable standing straight up and even sticking out my chest a bit!  One guy at work has asked me TWICE if I have lost weight.  Keep in mind that I am a SMALL guy to begin with at about 145lbs.  The second time I said, "Not that I am aware of". 

He asked, "Are you wearing baggier clothes?" 

"Nope.  Same wardrobe."

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024