Author Topic: Drive Home Same Day of Surgery? - Dr. Romano  (Read 3185 times)

Offline Newguy09

• Posting Member
I got a quote from the office of Dr. Romamo, and the lady on the phone quote me a price of $5,000.00 for lipo and excursion.  She also stated that I would be able to leave the same day and drive home about an hour after the procedure.  Is this typical or does it just depend on the Dr.?  I was under the impression that I would have to stay in a nearby hotel and return for a follow up the next day. . .

Offline xelnaga13

Are you going under general anesthesia?

I had two surgeries recently... one gyno and one shoulder. The shoulder surgery I was a drugged out mess for hours after surgery. The gyno surgery... I had 100% of my mental faculties immediately after waking. I would imagine it comes down to how you react to the anesthesia.

Offline Newguy09

• Posting Member
Yes I would imagine I would be under general anesthsia.  what would be the alternative?

Offline xelnaga13

Yes I would imagine I would be under general anesthsia.  what would be the alternative?

Some do local with a sedative. Ive never heard of a hospital/surgery center allowing a patient to drive themselves home after surgery. It boils down to liability.

Offline captain chesty

• Silver Member
It's generally advised that you should not drive for 24hrs after general anaesthetic.

Really depends on the anaesthetic used though, so your best to go on your surgeons advice.

Offline captain chesty

• Silver Member
could try putting your question on the 'ask a doctor' section for a professional opinion...

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
The only way I would allow a patient to drive by himself is if an operation was done strictly under local anesthesia -- and I never do it that way.  Just imagine you are driving and the local anesthetic wears off and you are in pain -- what are you going to do?

For operations under general anesthesia, one should absolutely not drive for a minimum of 24 hours -- period.

And if one has had sedation + local anesthesia -- yes, you will have close to all your faculties when you leave 1-2 hours after surgery.  But I would not let you drive if you were my patient.  I do take responsibility for my patients arriving home (or to a friend's house or a hotel) safely after surgery.  My strict policy is that one must be accompanied home after an operation -- for personal safety.  No exceptions!

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024