Author Topic: Pre-surgery Weight Loss  (Read 2766 times)

Offline UKChap

• Bronze Member
I think I might actually have the money to get surgery in a few months.  I've got some glandular and fat that needs removing.  I am a couple of stone overweight, does anyone know how close to your "ideal" weight you need to be before you can have surgery?

Thanks in advance.

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
Opinions differ widely on this one.  Plough through the 'Gynecomastia Talk' section and you will see other threads on the subject.

Most often it seems that the patient should be at a weight he is likely to maintain long into the future.  This allows the surgeon to remove the appropriate amount of tissue in line with the rest of the patients body.

However, we all know it's a good idea to make sure we are at the right weight for our height etc.  If you want to get down to an appropriate weight, you need to be sure you can maintain it long into the future.

My current thread "Surgery with Mr Levick" here at

http://www.gynecomastia.org/cgi-bin/gyne_yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=8;action=display;num=1137860278

has a before and after picture.  The Before picture is me very much out of shape, overweight and with my gynaecomastia (18months ago).  The after picture is of me more than three stones lighter, in time for my surgery (four weeks ago).  I intend to loose a further one stone this year.

Hope that helps and best of luck if you go for surgery.

Offline Hypo-is-here

Most often it seems that the patient should be at a weight he is likely to maintain long into the future.  This allows the surgeon to remove the appropriate amount of tissue in line with the rest of the patients body.

However, we all know it's a good idea to make sure we are at the right weight for our height etc.  If you want to get down to an appropriate weight, you need to be sure you can maintain it long into the future.

This is exactly what Dr Bermant and many other surgeons are saying.

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
In theory, if an appropriate amount of tissue has been removed, then remaining fat will increase in size at a similar and proportional rate as the rest of the body, so should look 'in line' as it were.  But this is very much down to an number of physiological factors on each individual.  Fat cells are, in the main, fixed in number and any fat cells removed are not normally replaced by new fat cells (though they can in rare and extreme circumstances).

If proportionately too much fat is removed and the patient subsequently looses further fat through diet, then the chest could reduce in size further at a disproportionate level to the rest of the body.  The surgeon's aim is to 'sculpt' a relative contour of the chest to reflect the size, shape and composition of the rest of the body.

Hope that's kind of clear :-/

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024