Author Topic: Lumps and Craters, 8-weeks Post Op  (Read 3164 times)

Offline realistic13

• Posting Member
Dear Doctors,

I underwent excision and lipo for the 1st time just under 8-weeks ago. One side is healing well, but the other has some weird contouring issues when slightly flexed:

There is a large hard lump that's contributing to some of this. My doctor aspirated blood and fluid the other day, admitting that it's strange to aspirate so many weeks post-surgery.

I commented on the depression underneath my nipple, and he mentioned that it was only noticeable when flexing, but even when relaxed, there seems to be some dimpling below the nipple.

At this point what should I do? I will continue to see my doctor, who mentioned the possibility of revision, but I feel as though I'll have to keep pushing in order to make that happen.

Is it still early? And if I do wait until 6-months, based on these photos would anyone have any recommendations as to what could be done? Would it require significant revision?

Thank you for your time.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
8 weeks is still early in the healing process.  You do appear to have some very firm tissue on your chest.

Before jumping to any conclusions, best thing is to give it at least 4-5 more months so that the healing is complete and the tissues have softened.  then return to your surgeon for an evaluation and discussion.  there is really nothing to be done at this point except to wait.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline realistic13

• Posting Member
Thanks for the reply Dr. Jacobs.

It's good to just get the reassurance from another surgeon. I'll wait it out as you suggest.
Hoping there won't be a need for a revision.

Much appreciated.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I agree with Dr. Jacobs--You'll want to give the results more time to evolve.  I would recommend massage to the area to break up any abnormal scar, but you should confirm that with your surgeon.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline realistic13

• Posting Member
Thanks Dr. Silverman and Dr. Jacobs.

I'm taking your advice and am trying to stay patient, continuing to see my doctor about my issues.

What is concerning me (and why I've used this forum so much) is that my doctor is often forgetful each week when I come back I have to remind him of how long it's been since my surgery and again remind him of what he did and said to me the previous week (i.e. last week he aspirated blood from me and the reason I'm back is because he requested I check-in).

Question:
He's now suggesting a drain more than 2-months post op, but for the past 2-months when i've mentioned the bleeding and leakage, he simply said all would be fine.

Is it normal to have a drain so late in the game? Also, would it recommended to consult with another surgeon at this point for a second opinion on things?

I just felt like perhaps I made the wrong decision with my doctor and want to mitigate any further complications. I feel like I'm managing my doctor!

Thanks for your help. It's the only peace of mind I've got right now.
I

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It is certainly unusual for there to be blood to be drained at 8 weeks after surgery.  And putting a drain in at two months after surgery is also quite unusual.  From your history, I would certainly suggest that you seek another opinion.

Dr Jacobs

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Your story is a bit unusual but you are still a bit early in your recovery.Do you have a view from the front that is not flexed, its much more valuable to see what you look like in the resting position?
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline realistic13

• Posting Member
Dr. Pensler,

Attached are additional photos of my chest unflexed. On both sides there are slight deformities. One side still has a wound that hasn't fully healed (2-months post-op) that the doctor is saying will require revision.

One the other side, you'll see there is still hard lumps tissue and contouring issues (the lumpiness is due to blood buildup that the doctor now wants to drain).

My doctor promises revisions until I'm happy, but at this point I just want to have some kind of peace of mind as to how long this will go on. I'm going to see my surgeon tomorrow, but if I get a 2nd consultation at this stage, do you know how that might impact costs for revisions?

Thanks. And thanks Dr. Jacobs as well.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024