Author Topic: Surgery bill: $25,000  (Read 6286 times)

Offline BadCaseGyno

• Bronze Member
Is that normal? The insurance payed for all of it, but after the hospital fees, anesthesiologist fees, surgeon fees, and all that, it came out to a little over $25K. My gyno was nothing out of the ordinary, just a gland excision with lipo (fairly minor). Is it odd that it cost that much?

Offline Wayne1985

• Silver Member
Holy cow! 

I'm in the process of getting surgery myself.  I called up about seven surgeons in my area, and the highest POSSIBLE range I heard was up to $7,000.  That was only one guy though.  Second highest was a range up to 5k.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Is it odd that it cost that much?

Yes... very odd dude.

I'd stay clear of that!  ;)

Oppss... you've already had the surgery sorry... Hmmm...  Yeah, sounds like a lot to me dude...

GB...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 01:43:23 PM by Grandpa Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline BadCaseGyno

• Bronze Member
It's done now so there's nothing I can do. When we got an estimate from the doc's office they said it would be $8-10K, but the bill said $25K. Oh well, that's what we have insurance for.

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
sounds outrageous to me, most ops tend to run around 4-5, sometimes 7 if more involved.  scamming like that is why nobody can afford health care in this country, because it gets paid out of somewhere, and that's $20,000 less to pay out for non-fraudulent needed care somewhere else.  i'm glad you got the op, but i'd never go near that place again, that's like getting charged $150 for a $25 oil change.  just because somebody manages to get away with it doesn't make it right  :o  :o
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline fluffy_tits

• Gold Member
Thats bullsh*t man!!!  even mine wasn't that much!!!   feel bad for you man...but atleast it was worth it to you!!   Confidence is priceless right!!  :-\
My before and after surgery pics: Leave a comment if you look!! (HAD THE WRONG LINK UP! THIS IS THE ONE WITH ALL THE PICS)
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=19342.0

Offline lighting506

• Posting Member
You're talking USD in America right?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
That's a huge amount of money for an operation on an "average" gyne.  And that is why our health care system is out of whack.

Just curious -- what was the hospital bill?  That is where they will charge for everything -- even a few bucks for a simple aspirin.  But just be aware, your case is paying for the charity cases of patients who come to a hospital with no insurance -- and the hospital is obligated to provide care for them as well -- at no charge.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline BadCaseGyno

• Bronze Member
That's a huge amount of money for an operation on an "average" gyne.  And that is why our health care system is out of whack.

Just curious -- what was the hospital bill?

What's the hospital bill? Is that like the total of everything or how much the hospital charged?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...

sounds outrageous to me, scamming like that is why nobody can afford health care in this country.

Several years ago, I saw a television program on the rampant scamming that goes on in the US Health Care system. I was flabbergasted at the absurd over charging for medical supplies... Thieves the lot!!!   >:(

GB...

Offline steelhead

• Silver Member
Yeah big time scammers you ever see what they charge for aspirin or Advil ?
You can to to Wal-Mart and almost buy a case of them for what they charge for two pills.

Offline daewoo123

• Posting Member
What insurance do you have that covered it?

Offline april24th2007

• Gold Member
thats outrageous.  Don't pay it.

speaking of costs.. what is the cheapest quote for surgery anyone has gotten?

Offline WaitAMin

• Posting Member
insane bill man...  but I got a 24,000 bill last year also for

drinking to much  falling and bruising my knee and scraping my face and waking up in the hospital fine the next morning  they will charge anything

insurance paid all but $1,000 but bs bill

Offline johnny125

• Posting Member
I'm not surprised. The doctor might charge $5,000, but when you add in the hospital charges and the charges for all the assistants and anesthesia etc...

A friend of mine recently went to the emergency room for chest pains. It turned out to be nothing, but her insurance company got whacked with a bill for $5,000 just for blood tests and overnight observation.  Insurance paid all but $35.00

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024