Author Topic: Numbness - Please Help  (Read 3662 times)

Offline opus_dei

• Posting Member
So, I had gynecomastia surgery last week and removed the foam  padding and dressing yesterday.

There is bruising and some swelling as is expected, with shades ranging from red to purple to yellow. What is bothering me is the numbness. Both my chests are extremely numb - like I have been given a local anaesthetic. Is this normal even over a week after surgery? Any help would be much appreciated.

I am keeping others posted on my progress in the post-surgery section.

Offline cms5402

• Posting Member
Totally normal.  I am one week post op and also quite numb, though some tingling has started.  From what I understand it can take up to a YEAR to regain full sensation so have patience and don't worry.

Offline nitrox987

• Bronze Member
One week after surgery my chest was completely numb just like you're describing. The numbness will reduce over time don't worry.
It took me a few weeks to get rid of the numbness and a few months to get my nipples sensation back.
Good luck with your recovery!

Offline corvette09

• Bronze Member
No need to worry. I'm 7 weeks out and I'm still a little numb and sore.

Offline opus_dei

• Posting Member
Thanks guys. That helps a lot! Seeing purple, black and yellow yet not feeling much pain gets you puzzled  ;D

Have any of you have started massaging yet? If yes, are there any specific oils you recommend. I know people recommend Vitamin E infused oils, but I am unable to find any.

Offline canadianmoobs123

• Bronze Member
Avoid the vitamin E. Any sort of extra stuff you put on your skin can irritate it and slow down the healing process. Topical ointments post-op probably aren't a good idea(Unless your doctor says so). As for the numbness, TOTALLY normal.

Offline opus_dei

• Posting Member
Thanks Canadianmoobs. Any opinions on when to start massaging for scar tissue?

I was having shooting bouts of itch yesterday after I showered. I tried putting on an underarmor below my compression garment, but there was no change. I ended up applying baby lotion to the entire chest area and the itching has greatly subsided. I must have dry skin, as the iching was so intense that I could not even sleep yesterday.

Offline corvette09

• Bronze Member
I feel you regarding the itching. My girl gave me some type of powder (burt's bee powder.) It did cut down on the itching. I don't know why but the itching was only at night. I was fine during the day. The itching lasted for about a week or two.

Vitamin E, some people have reactions with it and some don't. I'm currently using a coco butter lotion that has vitamin e in it. Good luck..
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 07:30:56 AM by corvette09 »

Offline opus_dei

• Posting Member
Corvette, do you use to cocoa butter to massage or apply it to prevent itching?

Apparently, itching is a fairly common reaction to liposuction as nerve endings are damaged during the procedure. As the nerve endings begin healing a few days post-op, an itching sensation is produced! Hmmmmm interesting. Also, the incision sites itch - such is the nature of healing. If anything, my itch is liposuction induced as it is everywhere, and not too close to the incision sites. Any thoughts anyone?

Offline corvette09

• Bronze Member
I would use the powder to cut down on the itching. I apply the coco/vitamin e lotion on the incision sites. FYI, the powder I use is "Burt's Bees Baby Bee Dusting Powder".

Offline opus_dei

• Posting Member
Thanks. I got the St. Ives Vitamin E infused moisturiser. It has done wonders for me to control the itch when applied right after showering.

Unless of course, its purely coincidental and my nerve endings have begun to settle down.

Its amazing how in the first few weeks after surgery, there constant change each day. My chest scars are changing colours each day lol - today most purple has turned reddish and the yellow seems to be disappearing.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024