Author Topic: Liposuction And The Risks Associated With It  (Read 3388 times)

Offline Health Tips

Laser liposuction is the latest fat removal and body sculpting technique. It is designed for the treatment of localized pockets of fat that are difficult to get rid of. The procedure takes place under local anesthetic in a doctor’s office. The FDA approved laser liposuction in 2006. The procedure reduces the amount of time spent in recovery associated with traditional liposuction. The procedure is more or less pain free, and is used as an alternative to the more invasive forms of plastic surgery. If there are any unwanted areas of fat that have proved difficult to remove even after diet and exercise, then this procedure may be the solution for you.
During the laser liposuction procedure, the heat from the laser is used to tighten tissue and fluidify fat cells in particular areas of the body. This process turns the fat into liquid which is then drained from that specific area of the body. Turning the fat into liquid makes it easier to remove. If any of the fat is absorbed by the body, it is excreted within 24 hours of the procedure.
The majority of laser liposuction techniques use local anesthesia as well as a sedative in order to completely numb the area that will undergo the procedure. Some individuals may experience complications as a result of the anesthesia; when considering surgery, patients should discuss the risks with their physician before going ahead.
Laser liposuction interferes with the makeup of fat cells, connective tissues and fibers such as collagen. There is a chance that having the procedure may increase the appearance of dimpling or cellulite as the fat is being removed. Because the connective tissues remain in place, it causes the skin to look and feel pitted.
In any procedure where there is a disturbance caused to the skin, muscle and tissue results in swelling and bruising.
The swelling may be painful and uncomfortable; when the body is disturbed it reacts by increasing the immune’s defense system in order to fight infection. This increases tenderness, redness and bruising where the areas have been treated.
All surgical procedures can cause infection no matter how small.
Risks are reduced by the standards kept by the medical personnel in terms of using a clean facility and equipment.
You should discuss any safety issues with your physician to reduce or eliminate any chance of contamination or infection during a laser liposuction procedure. Skin burning is one such side effect of laser lipo.

Offline xelnaga13

Care to give any credit to the author?

Offline xelnaga13

Beware of the Risks Associated with Laser Liposuction!
By Vivian Burton on March 6, 2012

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Liposuction is actually a rather brutal attack upon the body in the wrong hands. The fat cells are literally ripped out of the body. In the case of laser assisted lipo, the fat cells are rendered to liquid first. Cooked might be the proper term if done by someone without the proper training and experience.

If done by a properly trained and certified Cosmetic surgeon, The procedure has few risks. The risks increase dramatically when the procedure is done by someone lacking that specialized training and certification.

Grandpa Dan

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member
Liposuction is actually a rather brutal attack upon the body in the wrong hands. The fat cells are literally ripped out of the body. In the case of laser assisted lipo, the fat cells are rendered to liquid first. Cooked might be the proper term if done by someone without the proper training and experience.

If done by a properly trained and certified Cosmetic surgeon, The procedure has few risks. The risks increase dramatically when the procedure is done by someone lacking that specialized training and certification.

Is laser lipo any better, worse, or different as 3rd generation Ultrasonic liposuction?

One uses a very strong laser light, the other one uses sound vibrations?

So it comes down to which one do you want to liquify fat? Light or sound?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Liposuction is now augmented by the application of energy in some form. The added energy could be laser, ultrasonic, or anything else. The basic thing is that it is still liposuction.

There are now several different types of canulas used for the procedure.

The main thing is that the surgeon be well trained and familiar with his tools.

Not all developments in surgical instrumentation are for the better. Instead of getting carried away by the advertising language of the instrument maker, focus on the instrument user.

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member
Liposuction is now augmented by the application of energy in some form. The added energy could be laser, ultrasonic, or anything else. The basic thing is that it is still liposuction.

There are now several different types of canulas used for the procedure.

The main thing is that the surgeon be well trained and familiar with his tools.

Not all developments in surgical instrumentation are for the better. Instead of getting carried away by the advertising language of the instrument maker, focus on the instrument user.

I am not trying to chase after an instrument and find a surgeon who uses a particular machine. Rather, I found a few surgeons which I like however I am uneasy about using them because 2 of them use ultrasonic and 1 uses laser.

Many doctors on this forum have advice against it, should I ignore their advice?

These are 3rd generation machines, I would love to hear if their bad patient outcomes came from a 3rd generation machine or a 1st generation machines in regards to the ultrasonic.

Thanks.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
My position is a funny one. I have some medical experience, but not as a doctor. and that experience was long before the advent of Liposuction.

When I got out of the service, I found I could make more money maintaining medical equipment than I could working with patients.

As far as surgery goes, The key change that made safe and effective male breast reduction a reality was the introduction of Liposuction. By the time that technology made it into the mainstream i was nearing 50 years and my priorities were elsewhere.

Now nearing 76 years, my medical knowledge is not just woefully dated, some of it is now actually wrong.

When you find a surgeon who gets consistant good results then go with them and let the surgeon worry about the choice of tools and methods of their use.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024