Author Topic: Story of how I learned I have Gynecomasita and my eventual Acceptance  (Read 4815 times)

Offline iam32bit

• Posting Member
Learning that you have Gynecomastia is not easy, but my story is interesting as it took the mere words of "Bitch breasts" (This forum automatically changes the word T - I - Ts to Breasts.  I guess not to offend someone?) to set off a long 2 week journey of research and very important decisions.

I was never aware that I was self conscious of my chest.  It seems that I have the ability to ignore people and hid my condition from even myself.  Subconsciously I have worn very loose clothing for many years.  I can easily fit into a Medium size shirt, but I own mostly Large shirts.  I am 23 as of this writing.  I learned that even in high school I had a large chest.  But it took the words of Co-Workers to make me fully aware of my condition.

I have had a Girl Friend for 3 years, when I told her about my co-workers calling me "Bitch breasts" she told me that she would guess that I was a B Cup.  Now as much as I love her, those words stuck to me.  I kept processing that information over and over.  Thinking to myself all of the times people were calling me that name.

I eventually went to research the problem.  I came across this website and learned all about Gynecomastia.  Read the countless stories that others wrote.  Even the ones that were obviously "Fetishes and Cross-Dressers" pretending to have the condition.  Now I didn't jump to conclusions but had a very good idea that I have Gynecomastia.  I tried to understand what causes Gynecomastia, that is when my world changed...

I was diagnosed with ADHD back when I was 8 years old.  I was put on medications.  After 2 years my medication was switched due to doctors stating that the drug can cause health problems.  I never suffered from those.  I was then switched to Welbutrine, I suffered a major allergic reaction that left me with locked joints in my knees and hives.  I then was placed on Concerta and was diagnosed with Bi-Polar (later learned I was misdiagnosed with Bi-Polar) and placed on Risperdal.  I was on this combination of pills from age 10 to 20.  At the age of 20 I had a blood test stating high levels of Prolactin.  I was never informed that Prolactin causes Breast Development.  My doctor thought that Concerta caused this high level and switched me to something else.  I then as an adult decided "darn Pills" (Again forum changes the F Word to darn, Do they understand that cursing can be performed in a mature / Professional way?) and took myself off them.  I then went though a horrible withdrawal period of a week or so.

I realized that my life has been far better without pills. well that is until I discovered that "Bitch breasts" would lead me to learn that Risperdal causes Breast Growth in boys / men.  I can't escape my past as the decisions made back then are permanent.

I was told by my girl friend that I should try both a Sports Bra (for concealing my breasts during work) and a regular bra for at home wear.  She measured me and found that I was a 38B.  I am a 6"1 tall man and I weigh 188lbs, I am considered normal weight.  I ordered some bras online.  Now let me say that I wasn't optimistic about trying on a bra.  The stigma of it being a "Woman's Garment" is very strong.  I felt very weird putting my arms though the straps and clipping the back together.  But I was shocked that my "Breasts" filled the cups.  I was devastated and felt wrong.

I was also shocked as to how comfortable it was.  I felt like a weight was lifted off my chest.  I then put on the Sports Bra and was very happy to see my chest being flattened down.  I went to work with the Sports Bra on and received comments that I looked good and that people thought I lost weight.  I guess that Breast on a man equals fat?  I can't see the connection.  I also felt very confident, something I haven't felt in years.  The lack of protruding breasts gave me back my confidence.

It also did something I never expected, solved my back problems.  I have been suffering from back pain since high school.  I have been to the chiropractor for a few years.  I hated that he was patching my problem with adjustments, never solving the underlying cause.

I have a new respect for bras.  I always thought of them as a woman's underwear.  I never realized what they do for women until I learned first hand.  Bras are made for breasts, not women.  Yes 99% of women have breasts therefor they are the target audience.  I am sure if more men had breasts things would be different.  I have stayed far away from the more "Girly" bras (AKA Victoria's Secret, certain colors, lace, push-up etc) Instead I bought white, black and nude.  They can be so comfortable that I forget I am even wearing one.  I even forgot to switch to my Sports Bra, someone asked why I had "breasts".  That was a very fun conversation.  Let's just say he now respects me and all of those who suffer from Gynecomastia.

I eventually started buying more bras and sports bras.  The stigma I felt initially has withered away, it still can bother me from time to time.  The pros from wearing bras has completely outweighed the cons.  I let my parents know of my condition.  It wasn't easy to talk about.  They jumped to the "You should workout" conclusion.  I hated to break it to them that this would require surgery to remove.  

I looked at some old photos of me when I lost weight down to 165lbs, which is almost underweight for my height.  I still had a large chest, some people said I looked like a leukemia patent.  I guess that since I had breasts, I never thought I was that thin.

It is still strange that I wear bras, but everyone that I informed about my condition hasn't made a fuss about it.  They actually encourage me to continue wearing bras.  I hate it when getting my back scratched by my Girl Friend she asks me if she can remove my bra.  It feels ass backwards in that situation.

For the psychological factor, it is a consistent battle of how to cope.  I do blame the poor decisions of my doctors for my condition.  I later learned that I never had bi-polar.  I also learned that Risperdal has been involved in class action lawsuits due to being prescribed to ADHD patents even though it was never approved for treatment use.  I was the victim of greedy decisions, the victim of a clueless doctor, the victim of being a child who had no choice but to go along for the ride.

I have looked into surgery, however I am not the type of person who likes doctors, blood tests, needles.  I try to back out of getting anything done to me unless I absolutely have to.  I even passed out at the dentist for getting 4 shots in the gum-line prior to drilling.  I just can't see myself going the surgery route.  The healing process afterwards makes me sick thinking about it.

I am stuck behind a rock and a hardplace.  I do think that surgery would end my battle with Breasts, however I just can't do it.

My feelings towards that whole "We need to make people aware of this" is moot.  I think people shouldn't care at all.  Why do we need to have others accept us for our Medical Condition.  Do Diabetics need acceptance? Nope  I do think it is the fact that a Man is supposed to follow strict, bullshit guidelines on how to be a man.  I personally do not conform to the "guy code" I write my own rules and follow what I want.  I hate sports, drinking, partying.  You can say that my personality is more like Sheldon from "Big Bang Theory" just not as plain.  I am a very logical person.  I try to make sense of every issue.  I will admit Gynecomastia was a hard nut to crack.  But after finding something that works for me I am feeling better than ever.

To wrap things up, I am glad to understand my condition.  It may not be ideal nor wanted, but I manage to live with it.  You will find on any forum Idiots and some crazies.  This forum is no exception.  Look, if you want to wear a bra, just do it.  You don't need some stranger on a forum to approve your desires.  The only people who's opinions matter are Family, and very close friends.  I learned to like bras, I don't get frills wearing one.  If you do, that is your prerogative.  Now from a sexuality point of view, I guess since wearing one I find bras less sexy.  There is more to a woman than a big pair of breasts.  It is a loving, caring and dedicated person.  

"What makes a man, a man, anyway?  It's more than testosterone levels--it's a sense of duty, honor, and willingness to provide protection, and you have all of these qualities in spades." (my girl friend once told me this)

Offline McGilli

• Silver Member
Nice to hear.

Unfortunately from a very young age I was the personality type to get swept up in diets, and looks, and 'perfectness' and it's never left me.

But - in a way - I've accepted myself that way too - and my surgery was part of that acceptance.

Still - good for you - and it sounds like you have an awesome girlfriend. All the best to you.

hammer

I'm glad to hear you have been able to accept this! There are many of us here, me included with huge double D's. long story that you can read in "my story after all these years"!

A bra is an article of clothing that is made to support breast! It does not matter if the breast are on the man or a woman! And someone may argue that the Bible says that a man shall not ware the clothing of a woman nor a woman the clothing of a man. That verse means that they shall not do it to deceit someone in to beleiveing they are someone they are not!

As for acceptance of diabetes, it is not as easy as you may think! People in general don't need to accept it but the person that has is needs to and the people in their life not only need to accept, but need to learn to live with it and how to understand it to help the person with it live a longer and healthier life! I know as I am a one man that was tough as nails, fit as a fiddle and could do anything but brought down to his knees to disability, over weight and in a wheel chair by diabetes! Talk about needing to go through acceptance! My faith was there for me!

Well, enough about me and diabetes! Congratulations on acceptance, and finding this forum! It is the right place to be for support and ideas and suggestions.

Bob

Offline Del

• Bronze Member
 Yes,  I send you congratulations on your acceptance of wearing a bra and looking on it as a garment for support and comfort. Like Hammer I am a DoubleD  and know the problems I get from back pain  if I don't wear one. Mine started as a result of treatment from misdiagnosis of a prostate problem and being given the wrong treatment. It took me a while to accept the condition especially when the breasts were growing and the comments made by some people. But now I feel comfortable wearing a bra and ignore any comments as being other people's  problems of ignorance.   Del
Del

Offline Cisco

• Bronze Member
Congrats on your excellent posting.  You show a maturity well beyond your 23 years.  Like you I developed breasts as a teenager but did not come to terms and accept them until my 50's.  And I now wear a bra for support considering it merely another piece of clothing.

Offline iam32bit

• Posting Member
Congrats on your excellent posting.  You show a maturity well beyond your 23 years.  Like you I developed breasts as a teenager but did not come to terms and accept them until my 50's.  And I now wear a bra for support considering it merely another piece of clothing.

It really is a constant battle in my head of "Is it ok to wear a bra?"  So far no one had a negative view upon it.  One member was shocked that I was wearing a bra, but once learning how big my breasts are, has a positive outlook on it.  I thank you for your maturity comment.  Yes most guys my age are still immature and find ways to make a joke of Gynecomastia.

hammer

In time that battle in your own head will get easier! I think we may all deal with that, I know I do at times. I know that when I look down and see the massive double D's that any female would bag them up in a bra for suport! So why can't I? I didn't want to grow them, they just grew! Why can't I have more comfort by bagging them up? So, I bag them up in a bra!

I have never had any remarks from anyone about anything! Big breast or bra in years. If I do I have a ton of come backs that will get them thinking about what they say to me, ether imbarrase them or make them few like crap that they said anything in the first place.

The only time was in 1997 or so. I was putting an addition on a home and the owners sister was here from Germany, she said in German that I needed a bra, my first wife was from Germany so I understude part of what she had said and asked for the rest of it, and was told so I said " when a man loses his nuts strange things happen"! She felt terrible.

Good luck
Bob

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024