Author Topic: Kenalog Shots... Good or Bad?  (Read 7496 times)

Offline jlg2003

• Posting Member
My Doctor says he doesn't use Kenalog shots. However, in my research I have heard good things. I'd love to hear people's experiences with Kenalog shots. Good and bad.

Also, if my doctor won't provide them where could I have them done? And around what cost?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Kenalog will not work on residual breast tissue that has not be appropriately removed at the initial surgery.  On the other hand, for most guys, if your areolae are flat and flush with the surrounding skin when you first remove the bandages, then most likely the gland has been successfully removed. 

During the healing process, scar tissue may develop -- and it likes to do so just beneath the areola.  In these situations, I find that kenalog, when injected in appropriate doses in an appropriate manner, is invaluable in dealing with the problem -- I use it often and it has made my personal revision rate close to zero.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
Are there any side effects to kenalog shots Dr. Jacobs?
Shakenbake baby, SHAKE N BAKE!!  Ya, that just happened.

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
These injections are quite potent.  The physician must know how much to administer (ie the dose) and have the skill to place the medication in the proper location with a needle.

Yes, there can be local side effects if it is not done correctly, including thinning of the skin and underlying fat tissues.

Dr Jacobs

Offline xelnaga13

@ Dr. Elliot- I spoke to my surgeon about kenalog shots in my most recent visit. He has used it but never in a post gyne surgery. He said hes willing to do it after the holidays are over.

Should I be concerned that this is his first time using it for this purpose? Is his experience using it for other forms of scare tissue applicable to gyne scaring?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Most plastic surgeons are familiar with kenalog injections -- but obviously I cannot answer for your surgeon's experience with it.

I would be more than happy to speak with him about it -- I have discovered a few tricks over the years.  Just have him call me I would be happy to discuss with him.

Dr Jacobs

Offline ArkGuy

Is there a time limit in considering kenalog injections? My surgery was over a year ago and Dr. Jacobs, like you said I was completely flat after the surgery, so it makes me think that what I feel now is scar tissue. I don't have the time (with work) to have the injections done now, but is it something I can revisit later down the road? Say five or six months? Or is there a certain time element that yields optimum results?

Thanks

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Actually, time is on your side.  Although I have never observed sub-areolar scar tissue completely dissolve on its own, I have seen some softening over time.  As for kenalog injections, there is absolutely no time limit when it can be done -- either months or years after the initial surgery, depending upon need.
You will not have lost anything by waiting a while.

Dr Jacobs

Offline xelnaga13

@ Dr. Elliot- Thank you for your response. I have passed your information along to my surgeon. He's Dr. Lam out of Newtown PA.

Offline jlg2003

• Posting Member
Dr. Jacobs,

I had my surgery done in Indiana by Dr. Stanley Harper, but I now live in Colorado. I want to have Kenalog injections done but I don't know where to start looking.

Do you personally know of any exceptional doctors in the Colorado area I could go to? Or any advice you could give me on looking for a doc to administer these shots?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I do not personally know any plastic surgeons in Colorado.  Most plastic surgeons are familiar with the use of kenalog into scars on the surface of the skin.  This is different -- it is deep scar tissue below the skin surface.  There are a few tricks (we call them "pearls") in doing the injections -- but it is not difficult to do them.  I would be pleased to offer some pearls to any surgeon confronted with this problem -- just ask them to contact me.

One good way to find a board certified plastic surgeon is to consult with the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  Their referral phone is: 888 4 PLASTIC and their website (add the www.) is surgery.org

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs

Offline jlg2003

• Posting Member
Dr. Jacobs,

I recently set-up an appointment with a Dr. Richard E. Albin in Colorado. He is a featured doctor on this site and has had 33 years experience with gynecomastia. You had mentioned that you could share the "pearls" of Kenalog injections with a doctor. I was wondering if you could do that for the best possible result.

I had a few more questions about Kenalog injections...

1. How long after a Kenalog injection does one see the results?

2. Also, what would you guess, on average, is the cost for Kenalog injections?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I would absolutely be pleased to share some pearls about kenalog injections with any physician -- just ask him to contact me.  Unfortunately, you may run up against the "ego" that many docs have -- e.g. "I don't need another doc to tell me how to do a simple steroid shot."

Kenalog injections work over 6-8 weeks -- that is why I have my patients return at two months for consideration of another injection, if necessary.

Don't have a clue about average cost of these injections -- but my guess is anywhere from $250 - $500.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Lesli

Yesterday was my first shot of Kenalog..
I developed symastia on my first surgery but  my new doctor developed a new procedure to correct the symastia (he is gonna have it published)and now I just got my first shot of kenolog...So now I have to wait and see..

will let you know..

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024