Author Topic: Allergic reaction to bandages  (Read 3295 times)

Offline choice

• Posting Member
Just in-case this happens to you too....

My Levick bandages were always a little bit itchy, but didn't think anything of it until I removed them (along with most of the top layer of skin) on Day 7.

During days 7-9 postop, I developed an intense allergic reaction to the adhesive in the bandages, resulting in volcanically blistered skin and an itchiness more annoying and utterly painful than the 'crazy frog' ringtone.

Levick, as always, was supportive and understanding about this. I'm sure it's just one of those things...

Here is my advice:

1. If you are particularly prone to allergies (I'm not) OR have ever had an allergic reaction to Elastoplast before tell your surgeon and maybe they can do a test patch on your before.

2. Treatment is limited. Buy yourself some PIRITON (not Zirtek) over the counter from the chemist. This works on  this inside to stop histamine release. Be warned though it can cause drowsiness - and in my case did so -spending my days currently dosed up on caffeine to resist it.

3. Daub E45 cream over your body. Bathe in it. It is your friend.

4. I'm on Day 4 post removal of bandages and it still hurts - I think it'll take at least a week.

C

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024