Author Topic: Can Anyone Relate? Or is it just me?  (Read 2910 times)

Offline nothingworse

• Gold Member
Okay, this is something I really never understood and it is the truth every word of it. This is about gyne, puberty, and the start of it all. It all started for me my 4th grade summer vacation. Even though this was 8 years ago I remember it so clearly. I remember going to sleep one night, nothing out of the ordinary, and mind this I was completely skinny and lean. Then when I wake up in the morning I scratch my stomach and chest and notice something is instantly wrong. I feel these lumps on my chest and a pooch of fat and love handles on my body. THEY WEREN'T THERE THE NIGHT BEFORE!! It was more of a scary feeling then a shock I just couldn't figure out what happened. Being younger I didn't obsess about it though. Has anything similar happened to anyone else? Please let me know as I need more information. I know what some of you are thinking, that doesn't happen overnight. I just remember it so clearly because it scared me. It is just something that has bugged me ever since that day. Can anyone help with similar info? It was just one of my unsolved mysterys. This may sound like a stupid question but, this can help relate gyne and puberty. I blame gyne on todays foods. You didn't see too many people in the old 1940s and 1950s movies with gyne. My grandpas didn't have it. Processed foods started becoming big in the 1970s and I beleive that has a lot to do with the gyne problems of today.

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
i've leaned strongly toward the food influence explanation ever since i found this board.  

the only similar story to yours i've heard is about people's hair turning white overnight under extreme grief or duress, i think credible accounts in spite of the fact that medicine would probably normally dismiss them.  and there probably are significant mysteries out there, i don't think we know nearly everything yet.  

* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline nothingworse

• Gold Member
Thats nice to see someone on the same page as me on the food influence. All I know is based on old photographs, tv shows, etc. That gynecomastia was much rarer than it is today back in the 1950s and before. Basically right before the making of mcdonalds and other heavily processed foods. I think soda has a huge part to do with obesity. I remember experimenting with many diets seeing the ups and downs with each of them. I tried a crappy diet meaning fast foods, fattening foods, and sugary foods but, didn't drink soda. It seemed to work okay but, I was sick. But, when I added soda with the crappy diet I was bloating more than ever and gaining more bodyfat. I think Soda as well plays a huge part in obesity. All I know is maybe if we would have all watched our diets very well and lived healthy early on gynecomastia might not have occured in a lot of us. It is just a theory but, it just seems to fit. If I have kids I want to make sure they are healthy early on so some of the things that happened to me don't happen to them.

Offline Shaman

• Posting Member
Well, I live healthy now and at 15 I still think I've got a fighting chance  :o

Offline hazzard623

• Bronze Member
  • zap that gyno
maybe its the microwaved food that gave u gyno :o, dam radiation from computer monitors.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Sorry to be the one to break the bubble, But I was born in 1937 and have hat Gynecomastia since about the age of 12. That would have been in 1949.

What I did not realize for years, was that the condition was common among the men in my family even though most of them were quite lean. The style of dress concealed it well enough that I truly thought I was the only one.

As a father and grandfather I have observed that the condition actually comes on rather slowly but the young man seems blissfully unaware until it is well established. Then they react as though it had developed overnight.

My daughters and daughters-in-law have all been told to watch for any breast enlargement in their sons and to inform the boys that it is a normal family trait. I, of Course, had informed my own four sons when they were all still quite small.

The emotional turmoil seems to derive from the feeling that you are alone and unusual in some way. In my rather large family, no one seems to have a problem because of their gynecomastia.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 05:27:24 PM by Paa_Paw »
Grandpa Dan

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
My son is 9, and I can see that he looks at 9, exactly the way I looked at 9 ( concerning the gyne )
So far, it hasn't bothered him.
God bless his lil heart.
I can only hope it never will bother him  :-/

I've got a 2 year old and have the same worries.

Have you talked to his pediatrician about your concerns?

Offline Vangallus

• Posting Member
My brother is now 12, and im positive he has it too.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024