Author Topic: what is Compression vest for?  (Read 5554 times)

Offline Badgene

• Silver Member
If all goes well I should get be seeing the surgeon this week and I keep asking about a compression vest but he says its not really neccesary since be cause of my weight I will be requiring a lot of lipo and skin removal. He mentioned I could try wearing a tight shirt.

What are the vests for and why are they important? He doesnt seem overly converned about it but should I?

DrBermant

If all goes well I should get be seeing the surgeon this week and I keep asking about a compression vest but he says its not really neccesary since be cause of my weight I will be requiring a lot of lipo and skin removal. He mentioned I could try wearing a tight shirt.

What are the vests for and why are they important? He doesnt seem overly converned about it but should I?

Each surgeon has his / her own techniques. I use a First Stage Compression Vest After Gynecomastia Surgery to maximize comfort and minimize bruising.  That is one component of how I am able to post such early after gynecomastia surgery pictures that show my minimal bruising and swelling.  Check out what my patients describe as their comfort after gynecomastia surgery here.

I use a Second Stage After Male Chest Surgery Vest to optimize scars and healing.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Noseguard

• Silver Member
  • You t*t, what's he gonna do nibble your bum?
In my limited experience with them I have drawn one conclusion.  The more severe the G the more important you wear them.  Mine was bad, about a 9.  I am 12 week post op and when I wear mine at night I still notice swelling going down.  Also helps to limit the creasing and helps to give support when the skin is trying to shrink.

I have to imagine for many the vest is only a need to have for a few weeks, then probably does little after that.

However, I do believe it is a very important step for all patients, just not equal for everyone.

Offline Badgene

• Silver Member
hmm maybe I should buy some tight T-shirts or something. He told me I could but didnt exactly say why. Im uninsured so the procedure + hospital is costing me about $11,000 dollars mainly because of the anestesia and hospital stay. They are charging me something like 2400 dollars just to be on a hospital bed for 3 hours! Then I get to go home. The drugs doctor is charging me another 2500 for his service but the surgeon is only charging me about 7500. I saved up a lot of money not having a life and all and loans would work too, so Ill accept it as just starting over but how horrible it would be if the gyne comes back. Tho I will be at least attempting to crash diet from now on you can understand why Im so concerned.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
A tensor/compression garment for GRS recovery is like a bandage that you would put on a cut finger. It holds the damaged flesh/tissue together while it's healing.

Also, I hear that it aids in swelling/bruising reduction...

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline PhillyPUFF

• Silver Member
hmm maybe I should buy some tight T-shirts or something.

I see your already shelling out a bunch of money for your surgery, but I think it's a good idea to get an actual compression vest. I'm 12 days post-op, and the vest significantly helped me out. I think if I didn't have my vest, the simple things like getting in and out of bed would have put a lot of undue stress and 'stretching' to my chest. Remember, surgery is only half the battle - Recovery is very important. Something like this would do the trick: http://www.underworks.com/990.html

Good Luck man

Offline Badgene

• Silver Member
thank you guys for the advice. I will definitly look into that vest thingy. I hope it would work for me as I do have a bit of a pot belly. Im suprised that he isnt overly concerned with me wearing one. I should note that he's a plastic surgeon, a good one too, but I dont know if that matters. Maybe at some point I'll make a thread in coming days with before and after photos and I could get further advice with that too. This whole thing is making me very nervous, its not even the actual surgery im scared of which is in fact tomorrow morning.... actually I should be getting to bed...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 11:10:42 PM by Badgene »

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
My surgeon told me, at the time of my surgery, that a 'compression vest' as such, would not be necessary. However, I have read, as of late, he has been supplying his G patients with vests...

GB

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024