Author Topic: No compression garment?  (Read 5138 times)

Offline Gamer7

• Posting Member
My son had a consultation with a plastic surgeon today.  Instead of using a compression vest, he uses a foam pad and ace wrap.  Is this an acceptable alternative? 

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
A foam pad and ace wraps does represent compression after surgery, but what does the surgeon do after he removes the foam pad and ace wraps?  I recommend use of compression for four weeks after surgery.  Ace wraps would be highly impractical in that setting, which is why a vest or compression shirt is an easier alternative.  You may want to get a sense of how many of these procedures he does, since one or two patients struggling with ace wraps would be enough to convince any surgeon to switch to a compression vest. 

Good luck.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

DrBermant

My son had a consultation with a plastic surgeon today.  Instead of using a compression vest, he uses a foam pad and ace wrap.  Is this an acceptable alternative? 

Each doctor has his / her own techniques. Some prefer a foam pad, I do not. My Dressing After Gynecomastia Surgery protects the wound, is sealed so there is no bloody mess, extremely thin, permits the underlying contour to show, and permits the overlying materials to be changed easily. I use gauze padding to fill in the valleys not compressed by our After Surgery Compression Garments. An ace wrap tends to slide, have a non-reproducible pressure / compression, and much more difficult for a person who is alone to apply. I particularly do not like the amount of extra pressure they can apply, so much that blood supply can be affected hurting tissues. Rarely will I add an Ace Wrap over the compression garment. This tends to be for patients with a rare hematoma when I want extra pressure to help get the blood collection out. Beyond comfort and care, my dressing and garment are designed for stealth, having the least obvious method so those patients who prefer, they can better conceal that they have had surgery from the public.

It is all a matter of what takes to maximize the patient experience. For me Comfort After Gynecomastia Surgery is critical. Experiences posted on my website are typical for my patients and my techniques. To validate how another doctor's methods work, look for early after surgery pictures / movies, how much Bruising and Swelling, read what their patients say about the operation and recovery, how much pain medication do they take, and other such factors. Some doctors do not show that detail either on their web sites nor during their consultations. In that case it becomes a detective hunt trying to find pictures and experiences posted on forums.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Gamer7

• Posting Member
Thank you both.  This surgeon has experience in Gyno surgery but it is not his specialty.  Unfortunately, our insurance may cover him and not the surgeon that I would personally pick.  :-\

I will have to ask more questions about it if insurance approves him.

Thanks again!

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
The goal of a compression garment is to provide gentle compression to ensure the skin heals down to the underlying muscle.  As long as the foam pad and ace bandage provide this gentle compression, it is fine.
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024