Author Topic: How to massage the chest area?  (Read 2607 times)

Offline BobGreggary123

• Posting Member
When I approach the two/three-week post-op mark, it is recommended in my surgeon's notes that I begin lightly massaging the chest area. I was just wondering if there was any particular way that this should be performed? I get the general jist of how to massage, but I also understand how important it is to the healing process, so I just want to ensure that I am doing it correctly and not just feeling up my chest uselessly for five minutes day and night.
Thanks guys

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
I give my patients an electric massager at their preop visit, with instructions to start massaging one week after surgery, provided they don't have evidence of fluid beneath the skin.  I tell them to massage twice daily for 5 to 10 min. each time, but that can vary with the surgeon.  If you don't have a massager, gentle, light massage in a circular motion should work well.  But it's best to check with your surgeon.
Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline BobGreggary123

• Posting Member
Thanks Doc. You mentioned not to massage if you find evidence of fluid beneath the skin. Why exactly is this?
I ask only because there seems to be a tender, hardish lump that has formed between my areola and underarm, which I'm not sure is a seroma or just scar tissue/swelling. What would be the implications if I massaged a seroma?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024