Author Topic: Took Spironolactone for hair loss and developed gyno. Will it go away? PICS  (Read 9807 times)

Offline Gregint

I started taking 200mg of spironolactone an anti-androgen in August of 2012. I developed soreness around November which was most acute the beginning of this month and still lingers. I stopped taking the spiro today. Here are my images imgur.com/a/eUz3C

My gyno is assymetric and my left breast is sagging below my right.

There is a hardness beneath my nipples that has appeared in the last two months. My nipples are still sore.

Is this likely to go away on its own now that I have stopped taking these medications (except propecia)? Will my breasts returned to the way they were before I started medication as shown in the bottom picture?

Offline xelnaga13

With out androgen's in your system you risk feminization.It's possible that your gyne can improve once anti androgen therapy is discontinued. Staying on propecia wont help the effort.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Swelling and tenderness precede the actual growth of tissue. At least this is common belief. The extension of this is that if the offending drug is withdrawn soon enough the swelling and tenderness will abate and return to normal. Once actual breast tissue has grown, it is not possible to ungrow it. It may be a year or more before you can be sure of the outcome. Any residual enlargement of tissue remaining after two years will likely be permanent and could only be removed or reduced by surgery.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Totally agree with Xelnaga and Paa_paw.  It is  most likely that your gyne developed in response to taking spironolactone (and perhaps the Propecia as well) and stopping both drugs will hopefully put an end to the stimulation.  However, if tissue has grown in response to these drugs, it is unlikely that stopping them will make the tissue disappear spontaneously.  Best to wait and see and do not try to self-medicate with other medications in a vain attempt to make the tissue disappear.

If the tissue remains for a year or two, then you may have only two options:  wear a snug compression garment or have surgery to remove the tissue.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline fsugrad

• Posting Member
Swelling and tenderness precede the actual growth of tissue. At least this is common belief. The extension of this is that if the offending drug is withdrawn soon enough the swelling and tenderness will abate and return to normal. Once actual breast tissue has grown, it is not possible to ungrow it. It may be a year or more before you can be sure of the outcome. Any residual enlargement of tissue remaining after two years will likely be permanent and could only be removed or reduced by surgery.

That is exactly what happened in my case - swelling and tenderness before actual gland growth.

Offline fsugrad

• Posting Member
I started taking 200mg of spironolactone an anti-androgen in August of 2012. I developed soreness around November which was most acute the beginning of this month and still lingers. I stopped taking the spiro today. Here are my images imgur.com/a/eUz3C

My gyno is assymetric and my left breast is sagging below my right.

There is a hardness beneath my nipples that has appeared in the last two months. My nipples are still sore.

Is this likely to go away on its own now that I have stopped taking these medications (except propecia)? Will my breasts returned to the way they were before I started medication as shown in the bottom picture?

Are you sure that its not the propecia?  It is without a doubt what triggered my gyno

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Either of these drugs could be the culprit. Taking both together is asking for trouble.

Taking both together and adding Estradiol you would have the drug combination used by Male to Female Transgendered people to achieve feminization. I do not think anyone reading these pages really wants to go there.

Offline xelnaga13

Propecia is a horrible medication for males. One of my high school friends began to lose his hair after college and was prescribe it. He used it for several months before his ability to maintain an erection or preform intercourse was compromised. He discontinued the drug immediately, but several years later it appears that the damage is permanent. He's not alone, as many are filling class action lawsuits with similar complaints.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Over the years here I have heard many such stories.

I guess if you want the hairline of a 10 year old you might be stuck with the sex life of a 10 year old too.

My Daughters were all told that real men get bald. That is why they call it Male Pattern Baldness. You want to find a stud? look for a bald guy.

What I have is not a bald head, it is a solar panel for a sex machine.

Offline xelnaga13

I guess if you want the hairline of a 10 year old you might be stuck with the sex life of a 10 year old too.

My Daughters were all told that real men get bald. That is why they call it Male Pattern Baldness. You want to find a stud? look for a bald guy.

It's nice to see younger guys embracing their baldness and just shaving their head. Similar to gyne, the real turn off for women isnt the baldness it's a lack of confidence.

Offline fsugrad

• Posting Member

Classic.  Great way to put it.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024