Author Topic: Having surgery? Reason for being "sick"?  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Aimster82

• Posting Member
What do I tell my boss? I am going to take several days off and I know he is going to ask why. I know I don't have to tell him but I want to tell him something.

Back surgery?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Back surgery is probably the worst thing you could say. Back problems are probably the most common reasons for disability claims. If you should claim a pack problemof any kind you may scare your employer into terminating you before he is hit with a disability claim.

Honesty is the best policy obviously but you don't have to give a full disclosure.

Years back there was a guy who posted saying that he was simply going to say he was having a growth removed. Afterward he reassurred his employer that the growth was not malignant and he thanked his employer for his concern.

Some employers would terminate an employee if there was a lie told; even if the lie was discovered years later. No one wants a dishonest employee.

While the "growth" story is misleading, it is actually true.
Grandpa Dan

Offline jojo82

• Silver Member
Your employer is not entitled to any personal medical information. In reality, things can be complicated though. Paa_Paw is the right idea- tell your boss that it was necessary to get a non-malignant growth removed and provide him with a note from your surgeon. I would handle follow up questions with humor personallly... "do you want my social security # too??," but that's up to your personality how you handle that.

Just don't feel cornered because you aren't obligated to tell him anything other than you were at the doctor.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024