Author Topic: My Story  (Read 3250 times)

Offline rob11XX

Hey all, my name's Rob, age 20 from New York.  I have reached a point in my life where I am really starting to feel the weight of my condition.  I'm pretty sure it all started in early High School (7th Grade here), like most I felt I was a freak.  I figured out my own ways of hiding everything and most people never knew I had any kinds of problems.  However, as the years passed I became more introverted and eventually became very addicted to online gaming.  The internet and forums like this one have always been my vent to the outside world.

I went through high school and college always wearing either a sweat shirt or doubling up on my shirts.  Not to mention never going to any social events and staying out of any kind of water except my own shower, (I grew up on the water and love it so this has always pissed me off).

Now, the most serious physical side effect from the gyne is the Kyphosis (hunch back).  I started very early trying to hide my chest, now I always have back pain and an obvious curve in my back.  The sad thing about this to me is I know it will never get better until I'm able to proudly stick my chest out at all times, plus go through all of the therapy and what not that it will require.

I'm posting this because I need to talk about it with someone and what my options may be.  Once I turned 19 I lost my insurance from Mom so at this point I have no clue how I could even have a procedure, plus the hurdles of getting insurance to cover it.  It's very irritating to me because it's extremely obvious of the effects this condition has had on me.  I went through stages of depression in high school and still have deeply rooted psychological issues that I can't get rid of until my body changes.

I went through High School alone, no girl friends, few real friends...still a virgin at age 20.  Now that I'm just working a full time job and not in prison anymore, I can't stand being in this position.  I want to be able to walk outside with no shirt and attract the girls ;-).  I think my only option right now is to get more weight off and wait until I can get my own insurance next year.

Thanks for listening, I'm a big boy, say what should be said.

-Rob

Offline Eric Robertson

• Bronze Member
  • It's time to spread the word about Gynecomastia
Do you have aim?

philyeaglesfan07@aol.com

You can reach me here....just schedule a time...and I'll try to help ya out.

There is just so much info to give you that it would take me forever to write here in this response.

Take care,

Eric
Surgery Date: 6/06/06
Surgeon: Dr. Elliot Jacobs M.D., F.A.C.S., F.I.C.S., P.C.
Procedure: Liposuction and incision under the nipple.
Cost: $6,500
Discovery Health: Plastic Surgery Before and After I was featured in: http://www.gynecomastianewyork.com/teen_dhc_video1.html

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
As you have figured out by now, hunching or stooping are not effective at hiding your condition very well but they do make you appear sloppy. Ultimately you'll look much better if you simply stand tall. Various compression garments have improved greatly over the years and garments are now to be found that are really quite comfortable and yes, they do help conceal your condition.

Wearing unseasonable clothing, such as heavy sweatshirts and hoodies in the summer heat will actually draw attention to you. A slightly loose fitting buttoned shirt working better than many other options. Knit shirts of almost any kind tend to reveal the bodies shape a bit more than most of us would like. Be careful that the shirt is not way oversize, as that would tend to simply look sloppy.

So far as the feelings are concerned, most of us have shared the same feelings at one time or another, you can feel free to open up here as we've all been through the same torments.

You want to know what your options are. The most common option around here would be to start saving your coins and see a good cosmetic surgeon. Others find that the compression garments under a nice shirt is concealment enough. For some, they simply ignore the condition and live their lives. The only person who can say what the right answer is for you is yourself. Save yourself some grief and some cash as well, the various pills and chest exercisers are quite worthless.

You should be advised that the young ladies have their own problems and concerns. As a result, they usually have little interest in gynecomastia and while they may be sympathetic about your feelings, most don't think it is a big deal. Wisely, they seem to have much greater concern for what is going on between your ears than with what is on your chest. So you cannot use Gynecomastia as an excuse for failing to socialize with the opposite sex. I, for one, will know better.

PS I'm pretty much the old man here. Like most, My Gynecomastia appeared when I was about 12 years old. That was in 1949. Surgical methods back then were really quite crude compared to what is common now. Instead of feeling bad about your situation, rejoice that you live in a time when safe and effective surgery is available.

Grandpa Dan

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Awesome post Dan!!!  ;)

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
Truly amazing replies Paa Paw. You too, Eric. I can tell you that I have never seen such compassion in any other aspect of Plastic Surgery as I find here! While we as plastic surgeons are able to correct the problem it also requires support from people that know and care to really address all the issues that go along with G. Kudos.

Kyphosis (aka Hunch back) is an interesting sequela of G. I say this because G often manifests itself with deep insecurity. In some patients even when the G is corrected the kyposis does not go away. It becomes a "learned" behavior that needs to be "unlearned" in some individuals.

Finally, I couldn't agree with you more when you say that the vast majority of G patients worry about there problem FAR more than others really notice or care. Do NOT let it beat you up.
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

Offline Eric Robertson

• Bronze Member
  • It's time to spread the word about Gynecomastia
This site is truly helpful towards those who live with G. I wish more people knew about it.  :-[

However, what is more amazing to me are those individuals who have decided to live with G for the rest of their lives. Their decision to accept their G is something that I will always respect them for!

-Eric

Offline rob11XX

Hi again everyone, thank you for the replies.  At the time I first posted this I was in a bad place in life.  I'm still living with gyno but I have been working a job I enjoy for about a year and have been very busy.  Lately I have been very serious about getting healthy and have been thinking about the future and where I want to go in life.  I have been giving serious thought to finishing the season doing what I'm doing then focusing on my health in an ultimate goal to join the Air Force.  I'm now 21 and feel there are things I need to know and see in this world.

So I have returned again seeking help, that I did not take advantage of the first time.  I am in a better financial position now, still without insurance but would be able to find some way to pay for the surgery I think.  I still need to lose probably 50 pounds but I'm generally healthy physically, not so much mentally.  I may like what I'm doing but I still hate most days.  Everyday I feel like I have no clue who I am.  The feeling of soliitariety has been present for as long as I can remember.

My main question is if anyone can suggest my best option for a facility/doctor to go to in the Northeast.  I travel for a living so I will drive pretty much anywhere in my part of the country.  I live a hour east of Binghamton, NY.

Thank You,
-Rob

Offline jimmygyne

• Posting Member
This site is truly helpful towards those who live with G. I wish more people knew about it.  :-[

However, what is more amazing to me are those individuals who have decided to live with G for the rest of their lives. Their decision to accept their G is something that I will always respect them for!

-Eric

I couldn't agree more. I spent 6-7 more years than I probably needed to with this condition because I and no one else including GPs knew what the condition was!

It was the people on this site that gave me the courage to do something about it and I truly wish that more knew about it.

I truly admire those that have the courage to deal with this condition. I was unable to! Hopefully, I get somewhat decent results.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024