Author Topic: UK Surgeons  (Read 11859 times)

Offline Anthony

• Posting Member
Hi everyone

I am currently debating surgery in the UK and was wondering if anyone knew any good surgeons based here. I have picked up the name of Dr Karadis from this site, does nayone have any personal experience of him?

cheers
-flat chested at last-

Offline Pete

• Gold Member
  • ...Another load off your chest...
Hiya Anthony  :)

After seeing what Dr Karadis did on live TV, and the resaults the day after (lipo on chest and stomach) I know who I'll be going to see  :D ;D

:D :)

Offline Arjun

• Arjun
make sure you two get a profile on this guy and actually look at some of gynecomastia surgery pictures.

Arjun
Arjun - Bilaterial Excision and Liposuction Surgery (May 22/02)
"Remember after surgery - The hard part is over - Be patient - It only gets better"

Offline Anthony

• Posting Member
I agree I need to check him out

what concerns me is he is not a member of BAAPS http://www.baaps.org.uk/

Anyway if anyone has had surgery in the UK recently, aany info appreciated.

Offline Arjun

• Arjun
I think UK boy had surgery. You could ask him but im not sure.

Offline Pete

• Gold Member
  • ...Another load off your chest...
The problem is, there's soo many difrent bodys covering cosmetic surgery  ??? :o

Transform Medical Group have centres in most major cities. Maybe you should get in contact with them  :)

Offline AndrewWindsor

I found this board whilst running a search for some unrelated conditions for a research project I am conducting.

Firstly, I work in the NHS at a Plastic Surgery & Burns Research Unit. I have been a nurse in Plastic Surgery since 1972.

I think it is important to reinforce the advice that when searching for a PS surgeon in the UK that the starting point is to check whether the surgeon you are considering is a member of the two organisations that govern PS, training, accreditation and registration in the UK:

1.  The British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (BAAPS) at: www.baaps.org.uk/

2. The British Association of Plastic Surgeons' at:  www.baps.co.uk/

Concerning the Private sector then BAAPS is the best reference but also check if the surgeon is also working in the NHS.

Over the years I have seen some disastrous results referred to the NHS PS sector for correction and repair and with the constraints on the NHS nowadays very little pure cosmetic work is done except in exceptional circumstances or due to trauma.

You have to view the costs of PS as you would when buying anything else that can be costly, a house, a car etc.

I understand the reluctance to pay an initial consultation fee with two to three surgeons but the consequences and resulting costs to repair a bad job are far higher, not only financially but emotionally also.

Although I speak from the other side of the fence here, I have found that surgeons who work in the NHS and have a private practice are better educated and skilled in the art of plastic surgery and more up-to-date with current practices and methods.  They review their practices and procedures more frequently and publish papers regularly in the professional journals.

It is also worth checking the hospital the surgeon uses, the team that will care for you and the costs of the hospital and the Anaesthetist fees.

If you want to check just how active a surgeon is publishing in the professional PS journals then you can search for publications at the National Library of Medicine.  This database is MedLine and is referred to by all professionals in the world of medicine, surgey and nursing when searching for literature etc.

You can access it here:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

The instructions are fairly easy and for an author search the format is Surname then Initials i.e.  smith jk

I apologise for the length of this post but feel strongly that you get good advice and find a surgeon you feel comfortable with.

Of course in an ideal world the NHS would be providing these services as it used to but that's another discussion!!!!

Andy

Offline UKgyne

• Patience is a virtue!
    • My 4 month post-op photos
Andrew

Thank you very much for your informative posting.  I'm going to post a link to it on the main discussion board so that none of the Brits using this site will miss it.

I'm sure it will enable those thinking of having surgery to make a much more informed decision.

Thanks once again.

UK
No breasts, just those puffy nips! Gone now though.......bilateral excision 16/9/2002.

Offline UKgyne

• Patience is a virtue!
    • My 4 month post-op photos
Following Andrew's mail, and for those Brits yet to book surgery, the ps that I'm having - Mr AO Grobbelaar - is a member of both the baaps and baps, is the senior plastic surgeon at the Mount Vernon NHS hospital in West London and practises privately at the Wellington hospital in N London and the Bishop's Wood hospital in W London.  

Hope this is of some use.

UK

Offline ma_5

• Posting Member
hi anyone considering surgery , I have recently had surgery with a mr cajano at the poutney clinic in west london and he did a fantastic job , he has had gyne surgery himself some years ago and so understands very well. Having the op has made such a differance in my life even though it has only been 3 weeks and the healing is going well already. I'd rather not have the swelling , but i guess there is not mch I can do bout that.
    ma_5

Offline UK_Duzted

• Silver Member
  • Tall Bloke From England
Hi everyone
I have picked up the name of Dr Karadis from this site, does nayone have any personal experience of him?

i had a consultation with alex karidis, and came away feeling quite sh*t afterwards.. i was a mild case and i'm also thin and i felt that he didnt want to work on me.

i have since had the op elsewhere and recovery is going fine and no real problems.  ;D
-------------------------------------------------
Surgery by Dr Levick Nov 2002.
Bilateral Excission and Ultrasonic Liposuction via Transaxillary Incission

Offline Georgie

re:Alex Karadis.  I realise the posts about Karadis were some time ago but I wanted to say that I had an operation by him 5 years ago and am delighted with the results!  A friend of mine has since undergone a similar operation by him which she was pleased about whereas a friend who did not take our advice and went to another surgeon had a horrific experience  :(

Offline patientx1

• Bronze Member
who was that other surgeon? any idea?
Scar revision & Bio-Alcamid injects by Ruth Waters '04

Revision lipo surgery Poland / Baranski 1st Mar '07

Rev. lipo London / Karidis end of July '08

Rev. laserlipo England / Gabriel Feb '09

More photos to follow

Offline NotFedup

• Gold Member
  • Surgery in Poland By Dr Baranski 24th Oct 2006
wow this is an old old thread :(
losing my moobs was almost as painless as losing my sanity

Offline outertrial

Youre not wrong! lol. Howd it end up here?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024